It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The original samples that made excellent future Hip/Hop songs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Tom Scott - Today

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - T.R.O.Y (They Reminisce Over You)

Not everyone knows of Tom Scott; then hearing this song I know exactly where it comes from. 2 different aspects of music. Like I said its knowledge of music. If you try to bash against me you will lose miserably...From here on out nothing, but positive "good" hip/hop knowledge post! If it's Lil Wayne bulls#it don't bother! Obviously this so called "scholar" thinks I like the same music played on the radio 20x a day!...Wrong, like Aaliyah said :"Dust yourself off and try again."

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

The Emotions - Blind Alley

King Sun - Sippin' Brandy

LL Cool J used that sample in Pink Cookies In A Plastic Bag, but I believe the King Sun version has to be my favorite flip...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Watch the youtube video provided then do your own research. I really don't care that much. I thought it was common knowledge Led Zeplin stole a lot of their work. I'm 19 and don't even listen to classic rock and I knew about it....

You're a fail troll mang lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
edit on 9/20/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
People need to get over the sampling thing. It's been going on for years, in rock, in blues...its how we make better music with different instruments - and yes, mpc's and turntable's are "instruments" - they are electronic musical instruments that fall into the same category as the vocoder and synthesizers, and are capable of a complementing a long range of new styles.

as for "The great rock and roll" we grew up with - don't forget a lot of that was taken from previous blues artists, and many of those were taken from very old american folk songs, which can even sometimes be back tracked to songs the slaves sung among themselves.

As much as I love led zeppelin, some of their greatest work was taken from earlier artists along with Rolling stones, Elvis Costello, Queen, all guilty of this.

Then comes hip hop and everyone has a fit because the genre is so different and they feel it "degrades" the original - you could say that about all the other artists as well! The point is that some people like the new sound and the original - it is possible ya know! Its all artistic - so, i don't really know what the fuss is all about.

here is a website that you all can look at to see which artists have sampled who through out history - (even though they are missing artists) - www.whosampled.com... It even does exactly what this thread does and sets up a side by side youtube of each song with when the sample came in.

Quality is another controversial thing in sampling. Does the hip hop songs have a lessor quality in sound? it depends, because in the golden age it was all about that grimy, dusty, vinyl cracking sound that gave it that unique hip hop style - but now they are trying to make the sounds ultra crisp and precise with the electronics, which I think lessons the quality.

Back to topic - here's some great flips.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Stretching 1978 -

Digable planets - Rebirth of the slick (cool like that)

Ronnie Foster - Mystic Brew (also probably one of my favorite songs of all time)

A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation

The major difference about mid 90's hip hop and prior and now is that, everything you heard in mid 90's hip hop was a chopped up drum, an old sample loop and other sampled effects - now - everything is library, so that you don't have to worry about copy right if you own the software/hardware - but the true art of sampling will always be with the ones who took the time to dig through crates and crates of old records to find that one good loop or drum snare, kick or hi hat and fit it into their work.

edit on 20-9-2011 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Bobbi Humphrey - Just A Love Child

Cesar Comanche Ft Eternia - Up & Down

9th wonder is a genius, but I disagree with where he is using his talent now days. Should of stayed Underground. The actual sample begins @ 2:18 - 2:23. Smooth jams.....

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Bobbi humphrey has some dope songs. She's all over the place in hip hop samples. I was trying to flip a part of her set me at ease song madlib remade earlier lol

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Jorge Dalto - I've Got You On My Mind

Street Smartz - Problemz

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Had to put up these two

Flowers!

Nujabes was one of the greats man. Seriously redefined what I thought hip hop production was about, had a great ear for samples.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Black Ivory - Love won't you stay

Kaze & 9th Wonder - For the record

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Deodato - Speak Low

Crown City Rockers - Sidestep

They didn't even have to sample it. Kat ouano on the keys. Awesome hip hop band.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Donald Byrd - Think Twice

Lone Catalysts - The place to be

I know ATCQ used this in Footprints on People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm album, but this seems to be more underground since Lone Cat don't exist anymore...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Marvin Gaye - After the dance (pretty sweet instrumental too)

A few artists have used this sample, including Nas, but i like the loop chino used towards the middle of the track.

Chino XL - It's all bad

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
www.whosampled.com...

A good website for finding out who sample who.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Barry White - Playing your game

Blackmoon - I gotcha open (remix)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Janet Jackson - Funny How Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Camp Lo - Coolie High

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Willie Mitchell - Groovin

GZA - Liquid Swords

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Bob James who also did the theme from the popular 70's show "Taxi".

and

3MG- Three Melancholy Gypsies

Daedalus- Experience

and

MF DOOM- Accordion

Glass & Ravi Shankar- Offering
Two of the best composers, prime stuff. The hip-hop scene owes a lot to Philip Glass' contributions.

AND

Aesop Rock- Basic Cable

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I was going though some songs I have on my computer and I heard this and was like, wait a minute...I know this!

Michel Polnareff - voyages

K-Murdock - Steel Kites

Avid Panacea follower since their inception!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Slave - Son of slide

Success-N-Effect - Freeze

I know "Go ahead in the rain" by ATCQ, but this is more underground and much more distinct to recognize...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join