It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The beauty in Honor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Today i got some money and immediately gave it to my mom.

I promised her a month before that when i got the money i would give it to her. But, being a human being, with interests, other things got in the way.

In the interim, i have been wanting to buy some stuff which in my heart, i may have committed myself to buying. This 'commitment' contradicted my earlier commitment to my mom.

The money i promised her was not so much - $400 dollars - but still i found myself flirting with the possibility that i would not give her the money, as i promised her, and just pretend as if i forgotten.

Anyways, today i got the money, and my first desire, the very first thing that swelled in my heart was to give the money to my mom.

What i wanted to do most, and what was at the top of my priorities, was to honor the commitment i had made to my Mother.

Immediately i went to the bank, took out the money and gave it to her, and it just felt so good. To have defeated and subdued that evil, selfish and pathetic want for something else, regardless of whatever promises i had made to another, was beautiful.

There is such tremendous spirituality in doing good and doing whats right.

Nothing annoys me more then those people who despiritualize the moral; as if doing a righteous and moral act were just something reason compels and nothing more.

In my experience, doing whats good and righteous IS the reward. The feeling of "i did what was right" leaves in me a feeling of holiness, and this feeling just sits in me throughout the day spurring me on towards continued goodness.

This is something i think more people could benefit from. When doing whats good and responsible, is not merely a reasonable action, but an action which contains within it a tremendously charged spark of spirituality. It raises one heart and soul to the worlds above.

When one acts responsibly, he rectifies his little corner of creation; and this aspect, immediately runs towards its source - the giver of the command - and takes the one who affected this connection with it.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Some would argue that these deeds are self gratifying and egotistical, but I agree with you, they are worthy gestures that spread positivity, and are part of our responsibility as human stewards to humanity itself. In the spectrum of potential actions, none seem to be so mutually blessed as helping others.
Pay it forward....

Peace,
spec

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Some would argue that these deeds are self gratifying and egotistical

I am explicitly challenging people who think this.

I consider it base to think that it is "egostistical" to be concerned with important matters. Its absurd.

I, unlike those who subscribe to this maniacal doctrine, consider following the direction of conscience as the most important thing a human being can do in this world.

The italicized this world is the important thing. Because in this world we have egos, we have personalities, and we have the power to understand one thing from another. Therefore, the way to sublimate and rectify the ego - this world - is for one to honor what he knows to be true; which is the dictates of conscience.

Im not saying "honor" for the sake of looking good in others eyes. THAT is indeed base. My honor is honoring what you know to be good and righteous, in your mind/heart and then following through. Such feeling of "i did what was right", IS a good and holy emotion, and if it motivates further action, in complete selflessness, it is entirely good.

Whats the alternative? Look past all things. Be indifferent about good and evil, right and wrong? Thanks to people who think this way, the world is the way it is today. Such people take gross advantage of this moral relativism. And they are also the ones who point the finger at those who busy themselves with good deeds as "egostists" who seek to look good in others eyes.

How repulsively CORRUPT that accusation is!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Hey hey, I'm with you, I have just seen this argument time and time again, not that I agree with it. I am one who supports the notion of 'oneness' and to me, kind gestures actually connect us more.

Peace,
spec

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I agree....sorry if you think im getting mad at you. Im irritated with this philosophy.

The ego is a tricky thing.

Even those who want to look straight 'past' the appearances of this world, end up defending their doctrine of 'looking past this world' in a profoundly egotistical way.

The fact is: nobody can evade the ego. It is the window through which we see the world. It enables us to make value judgements; this is right while this is wrong.

The solution has never ever been to 'forget the value judgements" and look past it all, but rather, follow the good which speaks so loudly in your heart, and allow it to raise yourself and the world to a higher level.

People who think differently, it is my opinion, have a love affair with evil, with rebellion and with lower emotions. Their worldview thus must include both good and evil continuously battling each other for control. And so - conscience - that blinker in the soul which commands man to be reasonable just and fair, can be relegated beneath a 'higher principle' - created by man - that puts reason and emotion on equal planes. It puts the irrational animal, side by side, with the rational man.

Practical consequences? In the above moral situation, many people would consciously choose to do what they wanted because 'conscience' can sometimes be a "burden"

They only feel this way because they do not love, yearn and strive to be good human beings. On the contrary, their philosophizing has transformed them into the most dangerous egotists.
edit on 19-9-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

the truth is that even if you didnt hold up your end of the bargain, someone might have learned from your mistake

for instance. your mom is chitchatting with a friend of hers. "billy still hasnt given me that money he promised, even though he had it. after 9 months of carrying him around, and years of raising him, blah blah, etc. the person that she was talking to (her friend, or maybe one of yours) might picture this same conversation if he/she is put in a similar situation.

i know this grates against your philosophy, but sometimes "doing bad" can do just as much "good" there are many instances like this that go unnoticed

someone committing a murder can show someone who is "planning" one himself just how wrong, or horrible it would be. this doesnt work in every circumstance, but there are exceptions to every rule. just remember that. you not paying could convince someone else who wasnt going to pay to do say anyway, and vice versa

i dont believe there is anything egotistical about it if you were genuine in intent, not just to appear "better than those who wouldnt make the same choice.
if you keep this in mind you will see this sort of thing everywhere, i do. though it takes away a bit of the prde, or honor, (knowing that no choice is ever inherently "wrong") but in the end you made the choice not everyone would. it was just a choice. i believe you chose right, but there are many who wouldnt see the same way

to me, there is no right and wrong, so no reason to be "proud" per se. even something done with ill intent could be more positive than they couldve imagined, so ive stopped judging

either way, good on ya for sticking to your promise, and good luck out there

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
High Standards, morals and ethics are part of honor as well. I do my damndest to keep my word as my bond. That my signature on a agreement is equal to a handshake.

I always try to do a good deed daily….just for grins and giggles. It makes me feel good. Others do take notice eventually. And that feels good as well.

I have helped a former co-worker for years here and there when he needed cash and never expected it back. His fiancée is fairly well off, she gave him money and he started investing. I have provided advice for a period and it has helped him start a nice retirement egg.

He knows I have been unemployed, and he told me that he would pay me a percentage of any profit for my help, so now I watch the markets for him and call when I believe it is time to buy or sell. I did it before for free, and to be truthful, I do not expect any financial reward from him.

If he pays…cool. But no big deal if he doesn’t. He has inadvertently identified a new hobby as I look to identify trends. I actually find it fun. Eventually, I’ll have saved enough to invest myself. Again.

For that I am thankful.

top topics

join