It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanoparticles Cause Brain Injury In Fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Scientists at the University of Plymouth have shown, for the first time in an animal, that nanoparticles have a detrimental effect on the brain and other parts of the central nervous system. They subjected rainbow trout to titanium oxide nanoparticles which are widely used as a whitening agent in many products including paints, some personal care products, and with applications being considered for the food industry. They found that the particles caused vacuoles (holes) to form in parts of the brain and for nerve cells in the brain to die. Although some effects of nanoparticles have been shown previously in cell cultures and other in vitro systems this is the first time it has been confirmed in a live vertebrate.
“It is worrying that the effects on the fish brain caused by these nanoparticles have some parallels with other substances like mercury poisoning, and one concern is that the materials may bioaccumulate and present a progressive or persistent hazard to wildlife and to humans”, says Professor Handy.

source

This could be a good reason to hold off on using nanoparticles, especially for mundane cosmetic applications, until the possible long term side effects can be better understood. Do we really need a nano-silentspring to be circumspect with what we choose to release into the environment.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Truly important find. S&F&

...unfortunately they're already out there.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Nanoparticles of titanium oxide are used in sunscreen lotions.
So beware!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

...unfortunately they're already out there.

I know I would just like to be able for us to learn from the past and not repeat the same mistakes. It is not that I believe nanoparticles are inherently dangerous I just think it is foolhardy to believe them inherently safe.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I just think it is foolhardy to believe them inherently safe.

Me too.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Dare I say....... chemtrails!

new topics

top topics

join