It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History of U.S. Marine Corps Operations in World War II

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Nobody here is making that claim or argument. Take that tired old worn out Anti-US rhetoric elsewhere or better yet write your own thread about it.
This one is discussing the USMC and the "History of U.S. Marine Corps Operations in World War II"

Not the over bloated argument that the "US won WWII" BS!

edit on 19-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
You seem to have this impression that you were in the war to save other people, which is nonsense. Britain fought off the Nazis all by themselves before you even joined the war. The US joined the war for its own financial reasons. America is not the great saviour of the world, it is its exploiter.

Hey Einstein just how many US Marines fought in Europe during WWII compared to the Pacific?
And while you're researching that also look up each and every word in the thread title and their meaning.

Eurocentric WWII armchair wannabe Generals

Whatever...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Britain fought off the Nazis all by themselves before you even joined the war.

Uh, in a word...... NO.

Britain was able to fend off a Nazi invasion, only because Hitler did not launch one. If he had not opened up against the Soviet Union on the Eastern Front, he could have done whatever he wanted with Britain. How well did the British do keeping Hitler out of Poland, France and the rest of the continent at the beginning of the war?

The US and our convoys of Liberty Ships bringing Lend/Lease aid to the British Isles was the only reason that the British people did not starve to death as a whole.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I often think about John Basilone as I drive past his memorial.

I remember reading he made every beach assault in the Pacific.

"Basilone had a machine gun on the go for three days and nights without sleep, rest, or food. He was in a good emplacement, and causing the Japanese lots of trouble, not only firing his machine gun, but also using his pistol."[4]

John Basilone Wiki

It seems not enough was done for this hero...

I will stop at his roadside park named in his honor.

It's right by the beach the Marines trained for beach landings.

When I look out on the beach I often think about his sacrifice.

He makes me proud to be an American...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The Pacific Island campaigns were much more harsh then those in Europe. Island hopping, long days at sea, malaria, water shortages, and humidity. The Marine Corps adapts and overcomes. Semper Fi

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

No one ever said we won the war by ourselves... I only posted the US Marines contribution...
still if you want to talk about ("Allies")
Czechoslovakia
Canada's Battle in Normandy, 6 June-1 September 1944 [The Czechoslovak Armoured Brigade Group served under the First Canadian Army in the Normandy campaign.]
Polish Republic
Canada's Battle in Normandy, 6 June-1 September 1944 [The Polish divisions served under the First Canadian Army in the Normandy campaign.]
The Kingdom of Belgium
Belgium: The Official Account of What Happened, 1939-1940 [Belgian "Grey Book"]
The Belgian Congo at War
The Belgian Campaign in Ethiopia
Canada's Battle in Normandy, 6 June-1 September 1944
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
The Luxembourg Grey Book ("Luxembourg and the German Invasion, Before and After")
Republic of China
The Historical Experience of the War Against Fascism,
by the Editorial Department of Renmin Ribao (People's Daily)
China's Role in the Recapture of Burma, by Major Chen Ju-Hwa, Chinese Army
The Brazilian Participation in World War II, by Carlos José Asumpção Penteado, LtCol, Cav, Brazilian Army
The Mexican Expeditionary Air Force in World War II:
The Organization, Training, and Operations of the 201st Squadron...

Since you have an interest in the On the Great Patriotic War of the Soviet Union WWII I suggest you clink the link ... learn a little about what your talking about...and add too the topic....

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Have you heard of "The Battle Of Britain"? Let me tell you about it. Hitler wanted to invade Britain. To do so he had to gain air supremacy. He failed. The Luftwaffe was blown out of the sky's of Britain by the RAF. Hitler then gave up on the idea of invading Britain and instead turned east against Russia (That's what lost him the war) The Battle Of Britain was in 1940.........way before the US entered the war.
As for the supply from across the Atlantic of food and goods etc. it was the Royal Navy mainly that had to fight of the attacking U Boat wolf packs to protect those convoys.
Always remember this.......if Britain had fallen, then where would the invasion of Europe have been launched from on 6th June 1944?

Yes America played it's part but no more than any of the Allies.

Footnote:-

The role of Britain during the war in the Pacific seems to be ignored by the Americans. Did you know for instance that at the Battle for Okinawa 50 British war ships (including 17 aircraft carriers )and 450 aircraft where involved?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Good point... US Marines and British troops protected Iceland until Hitler turned his attention toward the USSR...
In fact the Brits were quite helpful to the Marines proving them with buildings and trucks... teaching the yanks to survive in the frigid temps.... again no I never said we did it alone this thread was only about US Marines part in WWII

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

Have you heard of "The Battle Of Britain"? Let me tell you about it. ....

None of which has anything to do with the History of U.S. Marine Corps Operations in the Pacific in World War II [their main theater of operation] or this thread.

The role of Britain during the war in the Pacific seems to be ignored by the Americans....

That's the problem. The war in the Pacific wasn't just a footnote nor has anybody thus far claimed the US Won WWII all by ourselves.

Seriously, where do you people come from and make an argument against a point that's not even made?

I guess reading comprehension is lacking.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Before you reply to my post i suggest you read the post by "Butcherguy" that i replied to. All will then come into context.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

His is another OFF-TOPIC reply to another member who also cannot comprehend the threads discussion either.

The problem there is that the majority of contributors here in this thread are all well versed on WWII and all the countries that contributed to the war effort in all theaters of operations. What is a major problem for some, is that Americans cannot discuss our contributions without someone going off half cocked assuming we believe we won the whole damn thing ourselves.

AGAIN and to reiterate this thread by the more seasoned members have not made that claim. WHY? because we know the history and don't have to run to Google for a quick response.

Not only that but if a Britt wrote a thread about THEIR forces actions during WWII, I and many other Americans here don't go rushing in whining that they forgot about US contributions etc etc etc.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Russia lost far more people, and suffered far more than any of us, and we would have lost without them also, but do we hear them going on about it all the time?

You seem to have this impression that you were in the war to save other people, which is nonsense. Britain fought off the Nazis all by themselves before you even joined the war. The US joined the war for its own financial reasons. America is not the great saviour of the world, it is its exploiter.

ANOK please baby please.

Yea we certainly exploted Russia with massive aid. But no one should be surprised that you mention Russia first. Anyone that knows you knows you are jaded with the lefty interpretation of history. And Britain did "fight off" the Germans untill the US got into the offencive game. And the truth is, besides our military actions, if the US wouldnt have had a conflict free industral zone the Axis would have won.

Hay by the way, for us jarheads, we need to remember as well all the army units that fought in the pacific. Yes we certainly got all of the tuff jobs but for example there was an army division at Iwo that lost around 600 killed. Many even marines dont know that. They didnt come in untill we had pushed the opponent back to the corner of the island but they still had a mess on their hands for what was supposed to be a "mop up" operation.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I was reading with interest the topic of the US Marines during WW II when "Butcherguy" decided to inform people that Hitler had not invaded Britain. An invasion does not have to be by Land. Hitler invaded Britain by AIR
If there was no invasion was is it called "The Battle Of Britain"

And by the way "Butcherguy" is an American.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

As for the supply from across the Atlantic of food and goods etc. it was the Royal Navy mainly that had to fight of the attacking U Boat wolf packs to protect those convoys.
Always remember this.......if Britain had fallen, then where would the invasion of Europe have been launched from on 6th June 1944?

Yes America played it's part but no more than any of the Allies.

The role of Britain during the war in the Pacific seems to be ignored by the Americans. Did you know for instance that at the Battle for Okinawa 50 British war ships (including 17 aircraft carriers )and 450 aircraft where involved?

A lot of folks dont know that america in the Pacific was in large part to bail out British interest. So wow we should expect some backup at Oki.

Anyway if England had fallen we would have had to work our way up through Hitlers "soft underbelly" by invading from Africa.
edit on 19-9-2011 by Logarock because: sp

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Would that be "North Africa"? You mean where Rommel was defeated by the British 8th Army? Thus making North Africa Nazi Free.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thanks for posting all that information. My grandfather was wounded on Iwo (4th Marine Division) and as much as I've heard stories of his experience, I never read an in-depth account of the battle. I think the horror of it all - and knowing he lived it first hand - made it a tough subject to explore.

After reading through some of the info you provided, I have even more respect for him. I wish he was still here so I could ask him questions and I wish I had written down more of his stories.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Logarock

Would that be "North Africa"? You mean where Rommel was defeated by the British 8th Army? Thus making North Africa Nazi Free.

I dont spoze you know that Paton was down there as well? At any rate yea that would be north africa. You know were Paton saved the 8th British from Rommel? Didnt you see the movie with Humphrey Bogart? lol
edit on 19-9-2011 by Logarock because: sp

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy; 23 February 1945

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Give the British Navy a mention too, since they took away all of Rommel's supplies before they got to North Africa.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thank you for this thread. I am proud to be a US Marine and even prouder of all of those that came before me.

SEMPER FI

pics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join