It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Netflix to split up streaming and dvd-by-mail service (Qwikster) + addition of video games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Full blog post (This was emailed to all subscribers a few minutes ago)
blog.netflix.com...

...We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

...Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, and now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. Another advantage of separate websites is simplicity for our members. Each website will be focused on just one thing (DVDs or streaming) and will be even easier to use. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated. So if you subscribe to both services, and if you need to change your credit card or email address, you would need to do it in two places. Similarly, if you rate or review a movie on Qwikster, it doesn’t show up on Netflix, and vice-versa.

...There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). Members who subscribe to both services will have two entries on their credit card statements, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as the current charges.

...For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that distinctive red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be the same for many of you. We’ll also return to marketing our DVD by mail service, with its amazing selection, now with the Qwikster brand.

edit on 9/19/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Well whatever they do, I hope they improve their streaming. Their selection sucks and they need to bring back the 'Genre' option.

I think they're starting to panic. I suppose losing 600,000 members would be a good reason. If they don't settle down and start listening to their customer base, they'll sink pretty soon. Sad that they already had such a devastating impact on Blockbuster.

Regardless though, this is interesting. Blockbuster actually implemented the game by mail option long ago. We had to learn the whole system and explain it to our customers. I think if BB would have allowed the joining together of the Store and Mail option, it would have been much better. Customers hated having so many options for some reason. Store - Mail - Blue Box. *shrugs*

And just because I like your signature -

RON PAUL 2012!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZWell whatever they do, I hope they improve their streaming. Their selection sucks and they need to bring back the 'Genre' option.

Ya, we talked about this recently here on ATS, as for how the quality of the streaming selection is really lacking. Hopefully, given that Netflix would now be focused entirely on streaming, it will soon offer better quality and selection. I've always said (to friends and whatever) that if they raised their prices, along with quality, I wouldn't mind. However, the disappointment right now mostly lies in the fact that they raised the price, and basically cut the benefits of the service in half.

Besides that, I do think it's only logical that Netflix be associated with 'Net flicks' but I don't think the idea of completely renaming the dvd-by-mail entity as Qwikster is such a great idea - they should have at least kept the 'flix' suffix to retain some of the brand recognition from the Netflix name, given it'll be under the same company.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So basically they ignore the real problem, (the price raise) and just rename the service?

This is supposed to fool everybody?

LOL.

top topics

join