It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian tycoon Lebedev punches talk show guest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Russian tycoon Lebedev punches talk show guest

uk.news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian billionaire and British newspaper proprietor Alexander Lebedev hurled punches at a fellow Russian businessman during a television talk show, sending the property developer flying across the studio.

Sergei Polonsky, himself a one-time billionaire who lost part of his fortune during the economic crisis, goaded Lebedev on the pre-recorded show, announcing that he would rather punch someone than discuss financial issues with oligarchs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Well, this is a surprise, a Russian billionaire punching a guy live on television, i have watched the video and it just came out of nowhere, is this a sign of the times? Is the guy freaking out because of the looming economic crisis?

Who knows, but one thing i do know is when 'Elites' are acting like this then something is up because im sure people like this (ex KGB agent qho's fortune was earned through...you guessed it, banking) dont often lose thier cool in public like that.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Also if you dont know much about this man there is a good BBC article from 2009 on him here..

Alexander Lebedev

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
The thing you might want to remember here is that physical confrontations in public, and on TV are not a rare occurance in reality. You look at Spanish, French , Italian tv, and sometimes you will get a politician up and punch another politician , right there in thier house of parliament or nearest equivalent.

The key here is the cultural differences between one place and another. Im sure if you look closely at the history of TV attacks by figureheads and big faces, on guests and other personalities, you will see that some nations get it more than others, and this I believe would be an example. Hell , one dude tried to set himself on fire on live TV once. Theres video kicking around if you want it, youtube it, or check the ATS search. Its... educational .

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

good point, i didnt really think about that side of things, but they dont usually make it into 'western news' so i guess this is a little different.

I just thought it was telling with the fact that this guy owns one of the biggest banks in Russia =)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

Here's the vid for those who can't see it, it's not available through the yahoo link. I don't know what to say about that and the other guy had a huge bruise on his forehead.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

thanks for putting the video up =) (btw it is on the page i linked to)

And yeh it was quite startling when i watched it....

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
just wanted to bump your thread...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Yeah i saw this on tv, good stuff.
apparently the guy he punches was being an ass and threatening. Mr Billionaire didn't like his agressive comments and gave him what he needed.
Russian TV often has fights.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

That was epic

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

I agree, but cultural considerations may mean that the effect of Lebedevs assault on the other guest, will have no negative affect on his standing, and may even serve to bolster him in some circles. Its important to remember that the way certain actions are percieved in other places in the world, does not always conform to the way the west does it.

Some peoples spit on each other as welcomes and greetings, and others smile and caper in an amusing fashion, as a threat or territorial semaphore. Truely , an understanding of the people you are observing is crucial to understanding thier word, and thier deeds.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Two billionaires beating on eachother, i'm suprised this does'nt happen more often lol.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well they say that fighting solves everything, and that punch he threw it seemed to solve there little dispute that they had quickly.

You know this reminds me that maybe we need to institute duels again into politics and the elites, you know the old sword-fights for honor, and to find out who is wrong or right. Or the take 6 steps and turn around and shoot each-other that they did back in the day in the USA and other places in Europe.

It would solve one problem at least, there will be less elites, politicians, and all kinds of people who want to make rules that everybody but them has to life by.
And it would bring the old saying "put you money were your mouth is" literally into fact and code.

Really I am starting to think that it would be a good thing, at least that way in politics we would only get politicians who are willing to fight and die for there believes and policies instead of what we have today. Getting other peoples kids to die for there believes and policies. And it would make sure that only if there serious about there policies and laws will they be willing to step to the podium or the levers of power and put more then there money were there mouth is.

And who know maybe we might actually get them all to agree on something, instead of the constant bickering going on and off-course the show that that they perform.

You know peoples there are very good reasons why Damocles sword must hang over those in power or those who want to make the rules all of us must abide by. Because power left unchecked and unbalanced and unstained has so far always lead to corruption. It might as well be a law of physics up there with, what goes up must come down.

I think it is way past time to look again at what some of the ancient societies and peoples did, and all that they deemed important enough to put into writing and even stone, for others to know look at after they are dust. Because it is all there for a reason, and it would of not have changed all that much from the reasons we have today.
sword of damocles

top topics

join