It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

boxing: floyd mayweather vs. larry merchant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
on september 17, 2011 floyd mayweather fought victor ortiz.

in round four with 9 seconds left the referee calls time out and penalizes ortiz a point for headbutting mayweather. during the break, victor appologizes to floyd. then floyd delivers a one two combonation that ends the fight.

i watched the youtube video and i didn't hear the referee say "time in....box"

www.youtube.com...

my thoughts are that the fight should be declared a no contest or maybe a disqualification against floyd for hitting when the fight was paused.

during the post fight interview, a verbal altercation between floyd and larry errupted. larry questioned the knockout punch. floyd gave larry a lot of grief. at the end of the verbal jabs larry says "i wish i was fifty years younger so i could kick your [backside]". larry merchant is a tough old guy.

-subfab
edit on 19-9-2011 by subfab because: fixed a typo

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

Larry did reply later on that he would still lose to Floyd.

But Floyd is still a pussy, avoiding Pac like a plague.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

www.boxingnews24.com...

Protect yourself at all times, it was a legal punch from Floyd and the idiot deserved it.

There is no head butting in the sport of Boxing.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Ortiz admitted that it was his fault for head butting and he didn't mean it. He also admitted he should have been on guard and that it's his fault for being knocked out. Mayweather is a fool for saying hes the best without fighting the pac man but he still won that fight.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
firstly, ortiz tried to headbutt floyd.

he was angry, cause he was losing.

secondly, ortiz says something to floyd just before they go back to box again, when floyd hits ortiz, you can see him mouth "F&*$ YOU"

i'm 50/50 with floyd, sometimes he's an absolute cock, but i can't help think the right decision has been made

plus from what i've seen of ortiz since, i think the experience has made a man of him...

everything happens for a reason

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Hahaha Pugilist fan here

Although, admittedly I didn't watch this fight ( a mis-match in my eyes, as Ortiz is just not on teh same level as Mayweather...fighting to the death against an overrated Berto, & only couple years ago quittin on his stool after gettin a poundin from Maidana).

I already knew the result...& thought gettin' drunk at karaoke would be more fun than watching Mayweather win another decision. Guess I was kinda right & wrong on this point

Love him or hate him, he's entertaining lol...

The first point of whether the shot was legal or not...It was. Ortiz should always be ready in the ring, regardless.

It was just a case of bad sportsmanship.

There's actually past interviews where Floyd gets into an argument with Larry Merchant...But I guess it just boiled over this time, haha.

It's been comin' up to 2 years, since the initial proposals for Floyd Mayweather, to take on a certain Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao...In what's widely considered the 'Superfight of the Century' en.wikipedia.org...

But since two failed attempts, due to complications, stemming from Mayweather's persistent stance, that Pacman takes OSBT (Olympic Style Blood Tests), which are not/ official requirements from the Boxing State Commission...

Both sides will state their arguments, with both having valid points.

But, knowing Mayweather's tact, it just seems to me, he's afraid of the Pacman...

This fight shoulda been done over a year ago, & we shoulda been lookin' forward to the rematch! If it were not for Mayweather's demands..Time to man up Floyd.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

I'm with floyd on this too.

pacman didn't want to know floyd for years, now paccy's day is done, he wants to cash in on the 'money'

floyd knows he'll win, so why should he give a man who blanked him his entire career a retirement fund?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

Clearly you don't follow Boxing.

Pacquiao has never fought Floyd before because:

1) Pacquiao became a pro later than Floyd did (The Mayweather family are very/ well known in the boxing community...With his whole family having boxing backgrounds. His dad FM Snr, fought a Sugar Ray Leonard...& his uncle Roger, fought a Julio Cesar Chavez...You may have heard of them.

So Floyd is like boxing royalty, having been born into the sport.

2) Pacquiao is well known for his rise to fame, through taking on bigger opponents than himself.

He started off as a Flyweight (108lbs)...& has gradually climbed up the boxing ladder, to where he is now: a 147lb wrecking machine...& #1 Pound for Pound.

So there's no way Floyd could have fought Pacquiao in the past...Having had very different backgrounds.

pacman didn't want to know floyd for years, now paccy's day is done

Ridiculous...Pacman is younger than Mayweather, yet his day's are done?

he wants to cash in on the 'money' floyd knows he'll win, so why should he give a man who blanked him his entire career a retirement fund?

Ridiculous...If BOTH men retired right now, Pacquiao would have a far greater legacy, having won Ten world titles in Eight different weights...A feat that's put him in the record books.
Floyd would be known for having, probably the best defensive boxing style ever, & being unbeaten...But there's LOADS of fighters, who have been beaten, & will always be rated higher than Mayweather.

Plus, Check out PPV stats. Sure, with clever marketing (just like this mis-match of a fight) Floyd has always been able to generate revenue from his fights...But Pacquiao is no bum himself...Having risen to the top, & now, matched, if not overtaken Floyd's PPV sales.
Pacquiao gets a way bigger crowd following & celebrity endorsements...From sports stars & hollywood actors.

Face it, they both have the styles to beat each other...& Floyd knows this...Which means it's a risk to his beloved unbeaten record. Nobody knows better than Floyd how to conduct business & cherry-pick.

Here are the links to Pacquiao's background, & Mayweather's background:
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 19-9-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
straight from the horses mouth.

1 min 47 seconds

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I cant wait for pacman to knock his @ss out

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Ortiz knows he was in the wrong, Floyd literally beat the fight out of him

I've never seen a happier loser

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DemonicUFO

Everything is on Floyd's side, for him to beat Pacquiao...They're fighting at Floyd's weightclass. He has the height advantage. The weight advantage. The reach advantage.

Since it is Boxingthough, one punch could change/end the fight...& Pacman's punch-output is something close to 100 punches per round.

I'd like to see Floyd duck, dodge & shoulder-roll every single one of those power punches

So, saying all that, I still see (& would place a large wager) on Pacquiao giving Mayweather his first loss (& possibly an azz-whoopin from hell)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

I doubt it Smokey, the "Pac man" is open to be hit, Floyd's simply just too clever defensively for Manny to be any real threat.

Granted, one shot could end it all, but Floyd's shown against Sugar Shane that he does in fact have a solid chin.

Floyd would take it, IMO.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Good point. However, Shane rocked Floyd in the 2nd round.

Manny fought Shane & dropped him in the 3rd round...From then on, Shane was retreating & backtracking all the way, for his life.

Floyd's brittle hands couldn't drop Shane...& sure as hell, cannot drop a warrior like Pacquiao.

Manny will get hit, don't get me wrong. But Manny is just as fast (if not faster) than Floyd in handspeed.

Now, put Manny's lateral movement in (his exceptional footwork, that makes him similar to a bee, buzzin in & out)...his south-paw stance...his improved right hand & the fact he is not a slugger, but now more of a technician.

Pacquiao will blaze through Floyd & simply walk him down.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I'd actually agree and say that Manny's hand speed probably is faster than Floyd's, but is his brain?

Don't get me wrong, Pacman has awesome physical attributes and the way he's moved up the weight classes is nothing short of shocking (hehe...?) but Floyd has shown time and time again he not only out fights his opponents but he out thinks them.

Manny is great at what he does but he hasn't really shown much adaptation or improvisation, okay he beat Shane fair enough. But people were calling Shane shot before he fought Floyd! Then Manny goes on to beat him? That doesn't prove a lot in my book.

Pac beating Margarito or Clottey also proves nothing in my opinion, Juan Manuel Marquez had Paccy twice from the way I score those fights. Maybe I'd give Pac the first bout but definitely not the second....

In all fairness it's pointless trying to apply logic to the hypothetical fight of the century because sadly it looks more and more unlikely it's ever going to come into fruition.....

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think Manny is actually quite smart in the ring! Because his physical stats are so good, people tend to overlook his ring savvy. The way he closes down the ring, stays off the ropes & controls the centre, & his footwork are all very underrated.

Shocking...But not THAT shocking...fighter's have done it before...People need to understand the weight he comes in on fight night, rather than just the weight class limits that he's jumpin up to...Every fight I've watched, Manny has only steadily increased his weight in fight night, over the years, by a couple of pounds everytime! Meaning, it's just a gradual, controlled rise in weight.

At least Pacman had the balls to fight these two guys...Who would still be a tough fight for any fighter. Mayweather is actually known to have ducked Margarito in 2007...as Margarito's come-forward style & Mexican warrior mentality would pose a lot of problems for Floyd. Margarito has beaten Sergio Martinez (#3 P4P), who would now give, both Pacquiao & Mayweather massive problems.
Clottey is a tough Ghanian fighter who's defensive, & would also cause problems for Floyd. He gave Cotto a good couple of fights...

Yet I don't see Floyd fighting any of these guys...All Welterweights (isn't that supposed to be Floyd's weight-class? lol.)

Shane was shot before he fought Floyd, correct. But he still rocked Floyd (although Floyd took the shot well). & Manny's fight showed to be much more dominating, than Floyd's fight against him. Floyd only fought Shane, when he had no dance partner last year, due to Pacquiao fighting with Clottey.

Haha, you're right, Marquez had Pacquiao's ticket in the 2nd fight at least...But the 1st fight you've got to give to Pacquiao. 3 knockdowns in the first round? 4 knockdowns in two fights? Marquez never once knocked Pac down...So to say Marquez won both fights is a bit of a stretch. Plus the fact, one of the judges scoring the 1st fight, admitted to a scoring error, which meant the fight was called a draw (scored 10-7, instead of 10-6, for the first round to Pac).

I think (hope) the fight will happen...Just when both put aside their differences. It's gotten to the point, where both can't lay it to rest, until they're both in the ring.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I honestly don't think it will happen now mate

I'm an ex boxer and pretty avid follower of the sport, Floyd is my favourite fighter and I'm sure we can both make arguments holding equal weight for either man, until it happens then we are merely speculating; you won't change your view and I won't change mine.

That's what makes Boxing such an exciting sport, the ability to have blind faith behind your man as opposed to the other guy, Pac's a great fighter and a well deserving champion, does he have what it takes to beat Floyd? In my opinion no, until it happens we can only argue

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Mayweather is a punk. Just look at the weigh in video... He grabs Ortiz by the throat like a thug, and Ortiz just laughs. It's all about the money anyway. No more sportsmanship these days.

Picture

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by inthemass
Mayweather is a punk. Just look at the weigh in video... He grabs Ortiz by the throat like a thug, and Ortiz just laughs. It's all about the money anyway. No more sportsmanship these days.

Picture

No more sportsmanship? Definitely not when a boxer starts head butting his opponent

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ortiz tried to headbutt Mayweather, not once but TWICE. One time was just more suttle than the other. Mayweather found a "loophole" and sent Ortiz to the mat legally, even though some would define what Mayweather did as cheap.

I heard the Larry and Mayweather clip on Preston and Steve this morning, hadn't heard it previously, and I was laughing my ass off on my way to class. People were def. wondering what I had retarded at 9am on a Monday.

"If I was 50 years younger I would kick your ass!" (from an 80 some year old)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join