It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Van Full of Explosives and Weapon Found in Montreal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
A vehicle was found in downtown Montreal with explosives and weapons inside. Offials believe it belong to an organized crime group, but weren't specific on details. 300 people were evacuated from buildings after blocking the streets was the van was discovered.

cbc.ca
MONTREAL - Police say a van found in downtown Montreal loaded with guns and explosives likely belonged to an organized crime group.

A section of the city's downtown was cordoned off for several hours on Tuesday and 300 people were forced to leave area office buildings after police received a tip about the van.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At least 15 guns, including automatic weapons, semi-automatic machine guns and handguns, and more than 130 kilograms of explosives were found in a van parked on Ren� L�vesque Boulevard near the Panama and Costa Rica consulates.

Officials received an anonymous tip, which prompted them to search the van. A robot was used to examine the vehicle, which made the discovery of the cache of weapons.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
La Presse is reporting that the van was parked near a service station and that is why extreme precautions were taken. They also report that the nearby Costa Rica consulate was not a target and that the arms were likely destined for the black market. The article (in French) is here: www.cyberpresse.ca...

Radio Canada (French CBC located in Montreal) has PHOTOS of the seized materials and report that they were likely destined for sale to organised crime. This was an intercepted delivery.

There were NO detonators hooked up to the explosives and terrorism is not suspected at this time due to the "circumstances" according to Montreal Police.

I noticed that they made no mention of who rented the van even though they must know, which leads me to believe that the culprit is either a known crime family member or under surveillance at this time.

Just a quick note the "Boss" of the Cotroni family (the Canadian branch of New York's powerful Bonanno crime family) died in Montreal this week. Source

This could be related?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
No offense to you Canadians, but... organized crime in Canada? The concept just seems... wrong somehow lol. I've never heard any mention of the mean streets of Canada lol. I thought all of you guys were laid back and peaceful hehe. Seriously, I mean no offense. If anything you should take my surprise as a compliment lol.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Organized crime happens wherever there is a group of more than three criminals with money and one of them is in charge.

top topics

join