It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyprus starts drilling in contested area in defiance of Turkey

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Turkey owns or should I say "occupies" Northern Cyprus. From a war years ago. they never gave the land back, but is insisting Israel give back Gaza and the West bank. Hypocrites!
What is even more critical is the fact they [Turkey] occupy northern Cyprus not the southern areas which is where the blocked gas fields are. Turkey has no claim over it, Cyprus does. In fact Turkey has no claim over anything there.
These fields are owned by Cyprus: Period. They may lease them to whomever they please.
Matters not what anyone thinks. International law prevails, and Cyprus does own those fields and they may do whatever they wish. Ones hatred of either Israel or Turkey is irrelevant in the matter. These are Cyprus fields of Gas, and neither the US, Israel nor Turkey own them. They may drill there with the lease but they do not own them. So why is Turkey even involved? They have a profound hatred for Cyprus and Israel. They have a 1 million man army and a very nice Air force. Israel on the other hand is a dominant power, with more sophisticated weapons. If this draws in the world we can sit around and discuss how naughty Israel and turkey have been, but in the end the only rain we will have will be irradiated. So our President had better get on the ball here and become a little more pro-active. This could spell trouble for the world and the blame game won't matter one bit when that first big bomb goes off.
DH

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Ya Turkey is clearly in the wrong here.

Cyprus has every right to drill in that area if they wish to.

But apparently, Turkey doesn't recognize Cyprus as a country.

UPDATE 1-EU Commission wants Turkey, Cyprus to show restraint

* Relations between Turkey and Cyprus heat up

* EU says no plan to change presidency schedule

(Adds background, comment)

BRUSSELS, Sept 19 (Reuters) - The European Commission told Turkey and Cyprus on Monday to show restraint in a row over gas exploration in the Mediterranean and work towards solving a long-standing dispute over northern Cyprus.

A standoff between Ankara and Nicosia deepened on Monday when Turkey, a candidate for EU membership, called on the Greek Cypriot government to halt immediately gas exploration work off Cyprus.

The Turkish warning followed a new round of anti-Cyprus rhetoric in Ankara on Sunday when Turkey's deputy prime minister said Turkey would freeze relations with the European Union if it went ahead and gave Cyprus the rotating EU presidency next year.

A spokeswoman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said there were no plans to change the schedule of which EU member takes the helm of the 27-member bloc.

"We are not considering this. Cyprus is scheduled to take over the presidency in July next year," Maja Kocijancic told reporters in Brussels.

Cyprus was sold to Venice in 1489. Then the Turks invaded and took it over in 1571. Then the Ottoman owned it until 1878 where it was put under the control of the UK after the Ottoman had lost a war.

In 1914 it was annexed by the UK. It became independant in 1960. Internal conflicts lead to the invasion by Turkey in 1974 and annexed the north of the island to ``protect`` the Turkish Cypriots.

So it's divided since then. So basically Turkey is just occupying Northern Cyprus for no REAL reason. It should have been an internal matter...

Turkey has no claims to Cyprus and should get the hell out of Northern Cyprus.
edit on 19-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I started a similar thread a few days ago to raise awareness of the true motivations behind Erdogan's public stance in the middle east. He is promoting himself as a champion of liberation and so forth, but his eye is clearly on the big prize, which is a potential abundant oil reserve that doesn't belong to Turkey. I have close friends who are Cypriot here in Toronto, and I am well aware of the abusive, tumultuous history of the Turkish occupation in Cyprus. If Erdogan thinks he can arbitrarily intervene and prevent the joint oil exploration venture between Greek Cyprus and Israel, he is in for a rude awakening.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Does anyone care about the rights of Turkish Cypriots ?

If Greek Cypriots are drilling then why shouldn't the Turkish Cypriots do the same ?

Don't they live on the same island ?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
For all those who are calling the Turks as occupiers ; do take in to account that since the arrival of Turkish Army on the island in 1974 , no Turks were subjected to ethnic cleansing from EOKA-B .

End justify the means and Possession is the 9/10th of the LAW.

Too bad these Christian Greek Cypriots could not stop themselves wanting an ethnic cleansing of the Turks from Cyprus Island.

It cost them half the Island in 1974 .

Greeks and Greek Cypriots still live with the wet dream of seeing the Turk go back to Central Asia .

This is akin to American Indians wanting to see settlers go back to Europe / Elsewhere and give all the land back .

Racism and Religionism at it's finest .

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 23432

So in 1974, EOKA-B (a terrorist group which was condemned by the Cypriot government) was the reason Turkey claimed for the invasion.

To me, it sounds kind of like Hezbollah/Hamas, does that mean that Israel has the right to occupy half of the Gaza strip?
By your logic, the answer MUST be "yes".
I'm inclined to believe that Turkey would more than likely openly declare war if Israel did this and declare a "Israeli republic of Gaza" out of their occupried half.

We all know that would be an illegal invasion and demand action. By your own logic, the Turkish occupation of northern Cyprus is infact illegal.

These current events would lead me to believe that the US would take an anit-Turkish stance.
If hostilities broke out it would more than likely by Turkey & Syria (possibly Egypt and Iran) vs Israel, Greece & Cyprus.

The US would then have to chose between NATO allies (Greece or Turkey). Since Greece (to my personal displeasure) have recently sided with Israel, and since Turkey would possibly be allied to Iran and Syria, I see the US siding with Israel/Greece.
At the same time the EU would back Greece and Cyprus which could bring in Germany, France & UK as well.

Things could really snowball very quickly. I sincerely hope they don't, but I don't see either Turkey or Israel (the main catalysts) backing down...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

At the same time the EU would back Greece and Cyprus which could bring in Germany, France & UK as well.

Which WOULD bring in the UK... since the UK has military bases on Cyprus. 3 of them.

No way the US sides with Turkey.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos
reply to post by 23432

So in 1974, EOKA-B (a terrorist group which was condemned by the Cypriot government) was the reason Turkey claimed for the invasion.

1974 coup d'eta was the pinnacle . But the killing of Turkish civilians by Christian terrorists are well documented .
Invasion it was NOT .
Turks were one of the guarantors of the islands population . Greeks wanted Turks to be ethnically cleansed from the island and they still do .
I don't really know what you are asking here . Are you saying the Greek Cypriots don't want to cleanse the Turks from Cyprus ?

To me, it sounds kind of like Hezbollah/Hamas, does that mean that Israel has the right to occupy half of the Gaza strip?
By your logic, the answer MUST be "yes".

These two situation have nothing to do with one another . For one , no one on either side died on the Island of Cyprus since the arrival of Turkish Army .
Apples and pears are fruit yet different . There you have it .

I'm inclined to believe that Turkey would more than likely openly declare war if Israel did this and declare a "Israeli republic of Gaza" out of their occupried half.

You are extrapolating yet your foundations are faulty . The Arab horse shall have an Arab rider at the end . Turks are incidental in Gaza .

We all know that would be an illegal invasion and demand action. By your own logic, the Turkish occupation of northern Cyprus is infact illegal.

Yet by your own logic this occupation you speak of is LAWFULL yet illegal . You can riddle me that , in your own time .

These current events would lead me to believe that the US would take an anit-Turkish stance.

Do you think Pentagon is own by Lobbiest too ? You probably do , hence your false belief .

If hostilities broke out it would more than likely by Turkey & Syria (possibly Egypt and Iran) vs Israel, Greece & Cyprus.

It is not going to happen . Greece and Israel doesn't have what USA needs . Turks do and they are playing ball .

The US would then have to chose between NATO allies (Greece or Turkey). Since Greece (to my personal displeasure) have recently sided with Israel, and since Turkey would possibly be allied to Iran and Syria, I see the US siding with Israel/Greece.
NATO to be ended by USA because of ISrael and Greece / Cyprus ? Not going to happen . It is not prudent to do so . Turks would never ally with Iran or Syria either .

Germans , French or the British are going to fight for the Greeks and Israelis ?

Don't get me wrong but the last time when this happened was the Crusades .
You are asking for a Crusade ? Are you ?

Things could really snowball very quickly. I sincerely hope they don't, but I don't see either Turkey or Israel (the main catalysts) backing down...

Israel will have a government change and the current climate will go back to normal . Cypriots will be the losers of this drilling exercise at the end .
For things to escalate and snowball , the Greeks or the Hebrews have to inflict a huge damage on the Turks . Pre-emptive strike if you like but I don't think they are that mad .

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If you want to debate the legality of the Cypriot invasion, then start a different thread and I'll gladly join you there.

At this point, the Turkish hypocricy is rather evident, and it's Turkey that is being the agressor against Cyprus and their drilling of oil SOUTH of the island that is nowhere near the Turkish coast.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

If you want to debate the legality of the Cypriot invasion, then start a different thread and I'll gladly join you there.

I believe I have answered your question of legality and it wasn't I who brought it up . Since you are asking about the legality of the situation on this island , well , LAW comes into this discussion automatically .
Otherwise , you are wishing to have an admirality court rules on this discussion , aren't you ?

At this point, the Turkish hypocricy is rather evident, and it's Turkey that is being the agressor against Cyprus and their drilling of oil SOUTH of the island that is nowhere near the Turkish coast.

Eastern Med is an international sea and Turks have the longest coastline in the eastern med .
What are you saying here ?
The little Cyprus have the right exploit the resources in the Eastern med but Turks don't have the same right ?
Drilling being south of Cyprus changes nothing . It is still the international waters and if Cypriots can do it , so can Turks too .

All the Turks asked was to take into account of the existence of Turkish Cypriots claims on these drilling sites .

Turkish Cypriots live on this island too . Before the ethnic cleansing in 70's , they lived in southern Cyprus too .

Now according to your logic , the Turkish Cypriots should be denied any LAWFULL consideration in relation to this drilling matter .

WHY ?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
we are just watching a movie, producted by israel and usa. if they want to start ww3, they will.. i believe our goverment is puppet of usa like some other countries.

our goverment just trying to get more vote from our people. best way to do this using religion. gaza are muslim like us..

bad english sorry.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 23432

Drilling being south of Cyprus changes nothing . It is still the international waters and if Cypriots can do it , so can Turks too .

It's not in international waters, it's in the EEZ of Cyprus.

All the Turks asked was to take into account of the existence of Turkish Cypriots claims on these drilling sites .

Which is an illegal occupation of Cyprus. And not to mention, it's the north of the island. And the fields in question are in the South.

So still no claims even if the Turkish presence in Cyprus wasn't totally illegitimate.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm just waiting for the flashpoint when full on war erupts in the region with Israel, it's coming and it's going to be here a hell of alot sooner than people think. A major international incident is brewing and our government are fools if they cannot see it.

People have murdered eachother over oil and gold, just because we live in what we jokingly call a "modern" society doesn't change that fact that greed, wealth and power will corrupt the most decent of men. The U.S. needs to withdraw from the UN and stop sticking it's nose where it does not belong, namely in other people's business on the other side of the world.

Israel can take care of itself, they practically have every type of armament the U.S. does because we've practically sold it to them dirt cheap. If the U.S. gets involved in this, then it will drag Russia and China in too and then my friends, we have the beginnings of the 3rd world war.
edit on 19-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 23432

I believe I have answered your question of legality and it wasn't I who brought it up . Since you are asking about the legality of the situation on this island , well , LAW comes into this discussion automatically .
Otherwise , you are wishing to have an admirality court rules on this discussion , aren't you ?

Fair enough, I did bring it up, but only to point out the hypocricy of the Turkish stance. The legality of Turkish-occupied Cyprus is indeed not an arguing point, if it was legal the world would have recognized the self-proclaimed country "Turkish Republic of North Cyprus" is only recognized by *Surprise!* Turkey...

Eastern Med is an international sea and Turks have the longest coastline in the eastern med .
The little Cyprus have the right exploit the resources in the Eastern med but Turks don't have the same right ?

The length of the Turkish coast is irrelevant, international law only states 12 nautical mile claim. Therefore Turkey has no rights telling Cyprus (or anyone else for that matter) not to drill there, and yes, they demanded that Cyprus not drill.

Turkish Cypriots live on this island too . Before the ethnic cleansing in 70's , they lived in southern Cyprus too .

Agreed, and Greek Cypriots lived in the north as well, tell me, how many have been allowed to return to their homes, or even still, how many concessions has Turkey allowed to the Republic of Cyprus (internationally recognized southern part) for them to do any exploration on the northern coast of Cyprus?

Now according to your logic , the Turkish Cypriots should be denied any LAWFULL consideration in relation to this drilling matter .

WHY ?

Oh they are allowed consideration, and consideration only, but they have no right to tell others (such as the Cypriots, Americans or Israelis) that they are NOT allowed.

Who is the one sending warships out with their exploration vessels?
I'll give you a hint, it's not Cyprus....]
edit on 19-9-2011 by Konstantinos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by 23432

It's not in international waters, it's in the EEZ of Cyprus.

EEZ itself is in international waters .

Which is an illegal occupation of Cyprus. And not to mention, it's the north of the island. And the fields in question are in the South.

Lawfull possession of the Island can be illegal but nevertheless it WAS the righteous thing to do . Island people have equal access to all resources surrounding the said island .

Do take into account of the Turkish Cypriot claim of rights on those drilling sites . That is what the LAW says , never mind the Legal side of it .

So still no claims even if the Turkish presence in Cyprus wasn't totally illegitimate.

Island population have equal access to same resources . That is what the LAW says . Don't get hang up on the legalities or legitimatecies .

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 23432

Island population have equal access to same resources

Really? Which law? International law? Do Haiti and the Dominican Republic get the same resources? I think not.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I would just like to add here that in 1960 when Cyprus was given independance from UK.. there were 3 guarantor countries UK, Greece, & Turkey & in 1974 after an attempted coup on the then Cypriot gov.. turkey invaded to safeguard the Turkish Cypriot population, what they should have done was left when it had all cooled off but instead they brought hundreds of thousands of mainland Turks to settle, along with thousands of Turkish mainland troups, as for ethnic cleansing (I am British married to a British Cypriot) even after 2 years Greek Cypriots were being forced to leave their homes & possessions in the north.
Turkish Cypriots both live & work in the south, Greek cypriots are not allowed to return to the north except to visit.

As for the Gas/Oil exploration ROC are within their rights, Turkey in my opinion are not so concerned with protecting the rights of Turkish Cypriots but more so what they can take for themselves.

I so hope this does not escalate, I live here & so do my children & grandchildren
edit on 19-9-2011 by nanny because: missed a word out...sorry!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 23432

Fair enough, I did bring it up, but only to point out the hypocricy of the Turkish stance. The legality of Turkish-occupied Cyprus is indeed not an arguing point, if it was legal the world would have recognized the self-proclaimed country "Turkish Republic of North Cyprus" is only recognized by *Surprise!* Turkey...is

The recognition is not there because Turks are not going around and asking , yet .
Next year , they might get upto 65 country to recognise this little Turkish Republic .
At that point , your legal argument will have no legs to stand on .
But the LAWFULL stance of Turks will still be LAWFULL and LEGAL .
Actual Turkish policy was to see whether the Greek Cypriots would stop wanting to kill them off . They didn't and they will never do ..
I feel sorry for them .

The length of the Turkish coast is irrelevant, international law only states 12 nautical mile claim. Therefore Turkey has no rights telling Cyprus (or anyone else for that matter) not to drill there, and yes, they demanded that Cyprus not drill.

Turks are seeking to defend the rights of half the islanders actually .
But you obviously think that the Turkish Cypriots do not have any right on these drilling sites .
You are mistaken in your belief .
Legalities aside , Turkish Cypriots do have LAWFULL right of claim on those drilling sites yet their rights are being trumpled because they are not Greek Cypriots .
Turks are telling the Greek Cypriots to take into account of other claims on those drilling sites and not break the LAW .

Agreed, and Greek Cypriots lived in the north as well, tell me, how many have been allowed to return to their homes, or even still, how many concessions has Turkey allowed to the Republic of Cyprus (internationally recognized southern part) for them to do any exploration on the northern coast of Cyprus?

You want to discuss the Cyprus problem but if my memory serves me right , the Greek Cypriots do not want to live with Turks .
Yet they insist in treating the Turks as inferior in every avenue .

As I said , racism & religionism at it's best .

Cyprus problem is not Turks making . Turks reacted to being killed and ethnically cleansed from the island .
That is where your Cyprus problem lies .

WHY ?

Oh they are allowed consideration, and consideration only, but they have no right to tell others (such as the Cypriots, Americans or Israelis) that they are NOT allowed.

I will try to make it simple . Say you are buying a right to drill from Joe and Jim comes along and says to you , look my dear fellow , what Joe is selling you actually does not LAWFULLY belongs to him .
If you make this purchase from Joe , you will be violating my LAWFULL rights as Joe is only a co-owner .
Buyers Beware .

Who is the one sending warships out with their exploration vessels?
I'll give you a hint, it's not Cyprus....]
edit on 19-9-2011 by Konstantinos because: (no reason given)

You still don't get it . Greeks Cypriots are breaking the LAW yet complying with legalities while doing so . Doesn't make in any less UNLAWFULL .

These resources are under dispute and no commercial contract will be enforceable while the dispute is unresolved .

edit on 19-9-2011 by 23432 because: add

edit on 19-9-2011 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by 23432

Island population have equal access to same resources

Really? Which law? International law? Do Haiti and the Dominican Republic get the same resources? I think not.

As soon as Greek Cypriots accept and recognise the Turkish Cypriots as a different and equal entity , your comparison becomes relevant .
These Turkish Cypriots live on the island and they have as much right as any other islander on the resources .
Greek Cypriots are just provoking the Turks knowing full well that this is a violation of some of the islanders rights .

You are asking what law , really ?

Would common Law would be good enough or shall I go back to phonicean merchant law books .

Are you saying that there is LAW which excludes some of the islanders from these resources ?

Mind you the Greek Cypriots regards all Turks as occupiers and wouldn't even give them an orange willingly .

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You keep saying it's illegal to drill in the location they are drilling, can you provide a source please?

I have a ton of sources citing international law (backed and recognized by all the members of the UN since 1982) that state that Cyprus has every right to drill in those waters.
The whole underlying issue here is that despite the rest of the world, Turkey does not recognize the Republic of Cyprus and so seeks to impose their own will. This is bullying and intimidation.

Keep in mind, ROC did not ever claim exclusive rights to the drilling area, so they didn't shut the door on anyone else doing exploratory work as well.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join