It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DRS Sentry UAS at Creech AFB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Creech AFB is the base on the southwestern side of the Nellis Test and Training Range (NTTR).. A recent contract award for DRS indicates they will be flying their somewhat ugly (OK, in my opinion) Sentry UAS. The guts of their press release follows:

BETHESDA, MD., AUGUST 16, 2011 – DRS Defense Solutions announced that it has been awarded a contract by Fleet & Industrial Supply (FISC) in Norfolk, Va., in support of the Joint Unmanned Aircraft System Center of Excellence (JUAS COE) at Creech Air Force Base, Nevada. Under terms of the contract, the DRS Sentry UAS will be used in two service missions as a “Threat UAS” flying against U.S. Joint Forces undergoing counter-adversary UAS training. DRS Training & Control Systems in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., will provide Contractor Owned, Contractor Operated (COCO) services to fly a series of live-fly exercises using its Sentry UAS. “We are very pleased to have an opportunity to support the JUAS’s role to provide service training programs that enable deploying warfighters to identify and deal with adversarial UAS threats," says Edwin R. “Robbie” Epstein, president of DRS Defense Solutions’ Training and Control Systems. The JUAS COE’s mission is to provide support to the Joint Operator and Services by facilitating the development and integration of common unmanned aircraft system operating standards, capabilities, concepts, technologies, doctrine, tactics, techniques, procedures and training. JUAS COE leverages existing Combatant Command (COCOM) and service initiatives and activities to provide joint integrated solutions and improved interoperability.

DRS main website
Sentry UAS

I've seen documents indicating DRS had a contract to provide "threat simulators" on the NTTR, but in my experience, I've only seen DynCorp or CSC trucks providing threats.

I suppose DRS could be maintaining/providing/operating the unmanned threats:
DRS unmanned threats

Now what is interesting here is this UAS will be the enemy, i.e. threat in the sky.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Hasn't there been reports of the taliban trying to buy drone parts? Stands to reason you would train to fight against enemy drones or to counter enemy surveillance drones.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I don't think the Taliban have drones, but Hezbollah has been using Iranian drones for years.

Since nobody actually flies in the drone, you don't have to be too careful about the design. Loiter time is generally the key parameter, so high speed performance isn't an issue. So when the dust settles, it isn't all that tough to piece together something that loosely qualifies as a drone, even if it looks like a flying beer keg. The US Army has a small hand launched drone just to scout over the hill. It is smaller than some RC planes. There is a DIY drone website.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if the Taliban had a drone in the near future, though I doubt they could build one. But with poppy money, buying one wouldn't be impossible. I don't think the Taliban have drones, but Hezbollah has been using Iranian drones for years.

Since nobody actually flies in the drone, you don't have to be too careful about the design. Loiter time is generally the key parameter, so high speed performance isn't an issue. So when the dust settles, it isn't all that tough to piece together something that loosely qualifies as a drone, even if it looks like a flying beer keg. The US Army has a small hand launched drone just to scout over the hill. It is smaller than some RC planes. There is a DIY drone website.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if the Taliban had a drone in the near future, though I doubt they could build one. But with poppy money, buying one wouldn't be impossible.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
A somewhat strange photo of the Sentry. The imagery surrounding it has been removed.

Sentry photo

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
They may as well start training for this because the future of warfare will be unmanned, whomever has the most money will win.

new topics

top topics

join