It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA declares hay a pollutant [see UPDATE]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
And for all the idiots who think the EPA has nothing better to do, remember that the next time you go to the tap for a drink of water, it isnt full of mercury, dirt, and poo thanks to EPA regulation.
Check out the EPA website for the superfund sites in your area and there are some that are not so pretty.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
And for all the idiots who think the EPA has nothing better to do, remember that the next time you go to the tap for a drink of water, it isnt full of mercury, dirt, and poo thanks to EPA regulation.
Check out the EPA website for the superfund sites in your area and there are some that are not so pretty.

Correct. The EPA has a job to do, and they should do it.

When it comes to making a farmer provide 'waste retention' measures for animal feed storage, I'm not really understanding what they are protecting us from. We're not talking about a manure pit or a liquid manure storage pond, here. It is animal feed.

It shouldn't be part of their job description, if it really is.
edit on 19-9-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

What ever made you think that McDonalds' uses real beef
in their hamburgers?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well, of course it's a pollutant! What, you guys aren't dumbed down enough to swallow that yet? Well, we will just have to have an increase of school funding.

I know! We aren't using Michelle Obama's chubby kids fund for anything - well we aren't any way.

You realize this was all predicted, right? I mean "they" said this would happen and now it is. And sure, we are seeing it, but what about the network news automatons? They will not inform the masses. We've got the predictors marginalized, some on the payroll, and I wonder again if the "predictors" aren't being used as a sort of pressure safety valve, keeping our tank just safely below explosion or boil over point. I'll just bet there is a psychological report somewhere telling them to do just that, for that very reason.

Of course the other side of the coin is that "they" have been predicting everything, and even a blind chicken picks up some corn, broken clock is still right twice a day, you know...

something to think about.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Don’t waste your time. You will never convince those "government loving" nut jobs that the government does anything wrong. This is their lively hood, depending and believing in the government. They can do no wrong. Brainwashed beyond imagination. Just trying to save you some stress. Don’t fight with them. It’s a waste of your time.

Good post by the way.

As my father always said, "You can’t argue with stupid"

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

And for all the idiots who think the EPA has nothing better to do, remember that the next time you go to the tap for a drink of water, it isnt full of mercury, dirt, and poo thanks to EPA regulation. Check out the EPA website for the superfund sites in your area and there are some that are not so pretty.

Exception taken; You should really watch the film Gasland before you get too happy about the EPA and the job they are doing with our water. I mean you really should watch this film soon. You will come away with a whole different opinion of the EPA and the water supply.

Then there is the fluoride issue, starring the EPA for one;

In rural Mississippi, many years ago we had a neighbor who was dumping raw sewage into the woods behind our two houses. The pipe from the potty just emptied onto the ground about 30 yards into the woods. My roommate at the time decided he was going to report it to the EPA. When he came home he was incredulous that Mississippi had no EPA. Both of us being from Illinois, this struck us as really odd and primitive.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by neo96

i will say this government stupidity is hazardous us to our health
edit on 18-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

I love grammar fails when people are calling others stupid. Pot meet kettle.
What? you don't think that government stupidity is hazardous us?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kellynap43

Which part of

identified significant NPDES permit violations, including failure to maintain adequate wastewater storage capacity, failure to meet Nutrient Management Plan requirements, failure to conduct operations within areas that are controlled in a manner capable of preventing pollution, and failure to maintain adequate records. The order requires the operation to comply with all terms of the Clean Water Act and its NPDES permit

www.cattlenetwork.com...

don't you understand?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by narwahl
reply to post by kellynap43

Which part of

identified significant NPDES permit violations, including failure to maintain adequate wastewater storage capacity, failure to meet Nutrient Management Plan requirements, failure to conduct operations within areas that are controlled in a manner capable of preventing pollution, and failure to maintain adequate records. The order requires the operation to comply with all terms of the Clean Water Act and its NPDES permit

www.cattlenetwork.com...

don't you understand?
Read this post: My earlier post.

That explains what I don't get about the EPA involvement.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Public Enemy Number 1: Hay

This highly dangerous pollutant is threatening our environment which means your children could die terrible deaths in the near future according to research by the government. For public safety reasons they needed to label this very dangerous substance a pollutant, so be sure not to spend too much time near farms in the countryside, the air will be full of toxic pollutants from hay
. But do not worry your little head, you can sleep nice and snug in your bed tonight now that the EPA is tackling this impending destruction of our environment.

It is only smart that we make sure these destructive ranchers and family farms are punished to the fullest extent of the law for violating the “Just Say No To Hay” laws. Have we not suffered enough? It is time to put these hard-core polluting criminals where they belong. They stored illegal grazing material in their barn; prison time!

But do not fear you will still have well fed cattle! We have talked it over with the large meat packing corporations and they were more than happy to take over where these farmers just cannot manage.

Note: Hay is not actually dangerous and causes no harm to the environment. This is just the EPA doing its typical destruction of the American small and family businesses as usual.

Misoir, but the title of the article, I came in here ready to be steaming mad like you-

Then I read a bit more and found out that this "has to do with" water ways being tainted with poop upstream.
The violations

If they are polluting the water with excrement, for all the people and possible municipal
sources down stream, then the six operations in violation are essentially pass their
responsibility on too others, individuals and any purification operations that have to use
more resources to clean water with fecal form bacteria. Remember the term externality???

It is unknown if these producers are also violating state and municipal law, I know that if
they are letting crap runoff into stream and tributaries they most likely are.

If these operations are also Federally subsided, like many feed lots are, then, that is the dance you
chose to dance I suppose...

If this is a revenue collecting scam then

I don't know enough

what says you
Misoir?

List of the 7 compliance orders

www.cattlenetwork.com...

A.J. Jones, d/b/a Callicrate Feeding Company, St. Francis, Kan. – An inspection in February 2011 identified significant NPDES permit violations, including failure to maintain adequate wastewater storage capacity, failure to meet Nutrient Management Plan requirements, failure to conduct operations within areas that are controlled in a manner capable of preventing pollution, and failure to maintain adequate records. The order requires the operation to comply with all terms of the Clean Water Act and its NPDES permit, and to coordinate with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment on its compliance. The order requires the operation to comply with the terms of its Nutrient Management Plan, including sampling and recordkeeping requirements. The feedlot has a permitted capacity of 12,000 cattle and was confining approximately 3,219 cattle at the time of the inspection.

Michael and David Uecker, d/b/a Dave Uecker Livestock, Norfolk, Neb. – An inspection of the beef feedlot and stream sampling in July 2011 found that the operation was illegally discharging manure, litter and process wastewater into a series of drainage ditches before discharging into an unnamed tributary to the North Fork of the Elkhorn River in Madison County. The operation has a capacity of 900 cattle and was confining approximately 450 cattle at the time of the inspection, classifying it as a medium CAFO. The order requires the operation to apply for an NPDES permit, and construct feedlot waste controls or reduce the number of cattle that it confines below the regulatory threshold.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

From that link

During the EPA inspection referenced in paragraph 16, the inspector observed that the feed stock storage area and composting operation were located in areas where process wastewater was uncontrolled by wastewater retention structures.

This *is* stuff that can seriously harm water sources. Nitrogen & Phosphor.
www.edinburgh.ceh.ac.uk...
Here is a study on a lake, that was on a "artificial lung" because N & P was unregulated.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Clean up that aweful hay its destroying everything! When you're done with that take all these pills we say are good for you with a heaping glass of flouride water, then hop in your big 4x4 diesel and drive around for a few hours while you calm down.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by narwahl

From that link

During the EPA inspection referenced in paragraph 16, the inspector observed that the feed stock storage area and composting operation were located in areas where process wastewater was uncontrolled by wastewater retention structures.

This *is* stuff that can seriously harm water sources. Nitrogen & Phosphor.
www.edinburgh.ceh.ac.uk...
Here is a study on a lake, that was on a "artificial lung" because N & P was unregulated.

During the past 100 years the U.S. dairy industry has experienced a broad array of major changes including: A sharp reduction in total cow numbers, A near six-fold increase in average production per cow, Substantially greater total annual milk production, A steep decline in the number of herds, But a large increase in the cows per herd,

Source

Before the EPA existed, the US dairy population was larger.
Before the EPA existed, there were no regulations in place to control nitrogen and phosphorus. The poo was spread on top of the fields and was a much bigger factor in the amount of those elements in the runoff waters.
In 1915, before the EPA existed there were 21.5 million horses in the US(that's a lot of horse poo), today there are more like 8 million.
Before the EPA existed, the Chesapeake Bay was alive. They say it is coming back now, but I've fished it, so it will take more convincing than the govt saying so.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply after reply just believing the op as fact... thats sad. those, like me, that actually looked for WHAT THE TITLE SAYS found it was a load of crock. someone mad because the epa doesnt want their poo runoff contaminating things, or doesnt want the hay to sit there and soak up unretained rainwater, resulting in moldy hay, when they are most likely going to be SELLING that hay to feed someones animals.

hey, if you want to feed your own animals moldy hay, thats your business. but if you are selling the beef, or the hay to someone else, then yes, you should be forced to "keep it clean"

i hate the EPA. they still havnt gotten rid of the uranium, radium, flouride, and other heavy metal traces from the drinking water, so dont think im just a gubment loving shill because both the FDA and EPA are messing quite a bit of stuff up.

just dont jump off the deepend when you hear something that "could" be true without looking for the quotes from their mouths. being anti-big gov is great and all, but it gives the whole movement a bad name when they take little lies like this and run with it.

regards
stars to the actual researchers

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I DECLARE THE EPA A POLLUTANT.......

This department should be shut down.

We get rid of "them" we get rid of half our problems....

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Correct. The EPA has a job to do, and they should do it.

When it comes to making a farmer provide 'waste retention' measures for animal feed storage, I'm not really understanding what they are protecting us from. We're not talking about a manure pit or a liquid manure storage pond, here. It is animal feed.

It shouldn't be part of their job description, if it really is.

and animals can eat moldy/bacteria infested feed and be fine, i forgot about that...
but when you sell the beef, or sell the hay, you have to keep it clean. im not for government regulation but i also dont want contaminated feed everywhere.

why does nobody think about it like that? it immediately goes to "they want to destroy our farms" and that may be true, but not this way. they just have to strangle it economically...special licenses to work farm equipment, equipment inspections etc.if they wanted the farmers gone they could just fake some test results saying that a couple of your cows have MCD, (even falsify the evidence) or just raise taxes on everything required for farming

they would put in pointless reguations that they know farmers wouldnt follow so they could just come in and "confiscate" the land. keeping feed free from bacteria, rainwater, or waste is not pointless. its more like common sense. so if this IS a conspiracy to destroy farms then they are going about it entirely wrong

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

You quote the last 100 Years, yet the EPA has only been around since 1970

Here a song from pre EPA Days:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Venomilk

resulting in moldy hay,

There are agricultural operations where hay(most of it moldy to begin with) is trucked in, watered and allowed to rot. Then the rotted hay is mixed with horse manure and some peat moss.

The goal of these operations is to create mushroom soil. It's the little black specks found on fresh mushrooms at the local supermarket.

The US Dept of Agriculture has operated land retirement programs for years, where farmland is left growing as grassland or planted in trees:CRP

All that grass, all the trees , under that program.... lives, dies and rots. I want the EPA to protect me from the rainwater washing all that mold and rot into the watersheds!

That doesn't allow for all the wilderness areas in the US where the same things are happening... without govt help.
There's more wilderness in the US than in the entire continent of Africa.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tom1701

getting rid of a symptom doesnt fix the problem. if they actually did declare hay a pollutant, thats one thing. thats actually something to scream about. but they didnt. unless we get rid of the people TELLING the epa what it can and cant do, we wont solve ANY of our problems. we will only move them around a bit.

theres ammo against the EPA/FDA hell, most of government. this just isnt it. and it makes anti big gov people look like twitchy ignorant children, as my above post said

they can pollute our drinking water and people go with it for decades, but man, if someone "says" they said hay is a pollutant, then down with the EPA right?

you guys just make it too easy

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Venomilk

Are you a farmer?

You ought to try feeding cows moldy hay.

You do realize that hay is an expensive commodity? They try not to have it rot when they need to feed it to their animals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join