It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Gamers Crack Aids Enzyme

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venomilk
reply to post by Highlander64

or actually LOOK at all the MMO's with player fed economies. you harness that data and you can find out what affects the economy in the way you want it. as of right now we only have trial and error, but with an "economic game" you get trial after trial after trial.
if they can do in a short time what scientists have been struggling with for decades, why cant the same be said about politicians.

its one thing to be told how the economy works, its another to see all the tools and effects assosiated with an economy

indeed

running simulations is an awesome tool

I do that in my job and it works well

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Not true. Prions have to meet certain criteria (such as template-function and replicative dysfunction). A misfolded protein that is altered at the genetic level (which this one is) is not a prion.

Don't know where you get your information - links please?

I'm calling a spade a spade here. FYI: Prion diseases …can be sporadic (spontaneous), familial (genetic/inherited) or acquired (transmitted by infection).

Also FYI - I first covered this story back in 2004 - here on ATS.

ATS 2004: How SETI Might Save the World - and You Can Help - about using SETI's approach to set up a World Community Grid. "The first research will be into Human Proteome Folding, an effort to identify the structure of pathogenic proteins. There will be three to five research projects a year… "

ATS 2004: Bush put a gag order on scientists, denying them the right to talk about prions and prion diseases, and blocked US scientists from attending the 2004 International AIDS conference in Bangkok.

The new policy prevented key US scientists from attending the 2004 International AIDS conference in Bangkok. Scheduled US speakers were forced to cancel their presentations.

"The US Government came under scathing attack from senior members of the medical establishment for blocking scientists from attending the International AIDS conference that opened in Bangkok at the weekend."

US bans scientists from AIDS event

"The absence of American researchers at the International AIDS Conference here this week has left many pondering why the decision was made to limit US attendance, and by whom. ...It came from above [Secretary of Health and Human Services] Tommy Thompson," said one US researcher who was told not to present her paper and had to find funding from other sources to attend. Although her work was cofunded by her university, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) component meant she was forbidden to present or talk to the media, she told The Scientist. "So I'm not going to give you my name." "

Key US scientists missing from the increasingly political International AIDS Conference

The political difficulty with HIV-AIDS is that the 'virus' is most likely a mutated prion-virus hybrid, related to Mad Cow.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

What other feats have online gamers done recently? Taco Bell shells made of doritos. Yes, it can be done.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

WELL DUH!!! of course we solved the problem! Gamers can do anything, We even have girlfriends now AND we converted them into gamers, real girls! they do nasty bedroom stuff and everything, it's awesome.

Obviously I'm single.

I logged in and found my way back to this comment just to tell you that you made my day! Absolutely brilliant!

Although all truth be told I have always been a gamer, and I actually do have a lovely ladyfriend who I am slowly teaching to play CoD with me... Even bought her the PS3 for christmas! lmao

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This is the best idea ever. It's a giant computerized think tank guided by problem solving and not emotion. I can't wait for this model to suss out the best economic structure. And the geeks shall inherit the Earth.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Done. In 2004. And reported on ATS.

ATS 2004: How SETI Might Save the World - and You Can Help - about using SETI's approach to set up a World Community Grid. "The first research will be into Human Proteome Folding, an effort to identify the structure of pathogenic proteins. There will be three to five research projects a year… "

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
thanks everyone for contributing to this thread

I have to agree, gaming is a good way to train yoru mind to fix problems

I have been playing RTS since the old 'amiga' came out - I used to sit up to 3am on saturdays playing 'harpoon' which was an excellent naval warfare simulator produced with help of Tom Clancy and I believe it was at the time actually used in the US Navy for all officers as a strategy simulator - you could set up your own scenarios too

what amazes me is that you can have heaps of fun playing the AI in games like total war, starcraft etc, and then go online and play against people

and boy, some of the online gamers are absolute gurus in the computer/strategy/analysis/response department

lets hope we see more of these kind of developments

cheers

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Here's a flash I just had. Gamers develop economic systems they think will work, while they try to exploit other gamers' systems. There will be no way to tell who's on whose side. May the best model win.
edit on 21-9-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join