It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee seeks to make federal law enforcement subordinate to the local sheriff

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+65 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
A law proposed in Tennessee would make federal law enforcement have to seek the approval of the local Sheriff's office in order to make arrests or conduct raids in the state. This is part of a larger movement by the states to force the federal government to respect the 10th amendment.

Constitutional Sheriff Bill Introduced in Tenn.

A new bill making its way through the Tennessee General Assembly states that a federal employee who is not designated as a Tennessee peace officer may not make an arrest or conduct a search and seizure in the Volunteer State without the express consent of the sheriff of the county in which the arrest, search, and seizure is to occur except under certain enumerated circumstances.

No vague request will satisfy the mandates of the measure were it to be enacted by the General Assembly of the Tennessee and signed into law by the governor. In fact, the bill explicitly requires that the permission request contain the following information:

(A) The name of the subject of the arrest, search, or seizure;
(B) A clear statement of probable cause for the arrest, search, or seizure or a federal arrest, search, or seizure warrant that contains a clear statement of probable cause;
seized;
(C) A description of the specific things to be searched for or
(D) A statement of the date and time that the arrest, search, or seizure is to occur; and
(E) The address or location where the intended arrest, search, or seizure will be attempted.

The serious and very powerful posture struck by the measure is undeniable. In Section 1, Paragraph (f), the proposed law sets forth the punishments to be imposed upon a federal officer failing to conform to the dictates thereof:

An arrest, search, or seizure or attempted arrest, search, or seizure in violation of subsection (a) is unlawful, and the persons involved shall be prosecuted by the county attorney for kidnapping if an arrest or attempted arrest occurred, for trespass if a search or attempted search occurred, for theft if a seizure or attempted seizure occurred, and for any applicable homicide offense if loss of life occurred. The persons involved shall also be charged with any other applicable criminal offense.

Furthermore, if any county attorney fails to timely and properly prosecute the federal agent accused of violating the law’s mandates regarding arrest, search, and seizure, that attorney is subject to recall by the voters and “to prosecution by the attorney general for official misconduct.”

The New American

Gotta love it; they won't allow any vague BS searches or arrests by the feds and would make them accountable as criminals if they attempt to make arrests without the sheriff's approval. The law even has a penalty for prosecutors who try to suck up to the feds and don't enforce the law. They thought of everything!

edit on 9/18/11 by FortAnthem because: [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e3cb3cd9143.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Here's to state power... Dueces

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Good for them lets hope this passes and becomes a trend for other states! They don't really need to pass a law they already have the authority but this makes it crystal clear! Maybe they can start protecting people from the IRS who has no jurisdiction in the states anyway!

edit on 19-9-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Yeah.. I don't understand why people don't understand how much power each state hold. I mean, these are little nations. Of course they should all support each other completely in complete alliance. Alliance formed to keep the government in check. I think thats what the forefathers really envisioned and it would honestly be a near perfect government.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Brilliant! I hope it passes and that other states follow suit!

The Feds have stepped WAY over the line and it's time to push Them back!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Austin316

It's not only State power, it's Constitutional Law. And it's about time the States took matters into their own hands, instead of letting Washington dictate everything to them. I hope Ohio follows suit!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It sounds great but big brother is going to strangle them back into submission like they did to Texas with the threat of making the whole state a no fly zone.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So, in other words they're going to uphold the constitution by following the laws we already have in place.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by Austin316

It's not only State power, it's Constitutional Law. And it's about time the States took matters into their own hands, instead of letting Washington dictate everything to them. I hope Ohio follows suit!

That's exactly right. The local county sheriff is supposed to be the most powerful elected office in the land. That much power is supposed to be limited to the most local, most accountable authority.

Thanks to member JohnPhoenix for this edit: Constituional Sheriff
edit on 19-9-2011 by TreadUpon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
really hope to see this go through. really hope to see it catch on. really hope to see the federal government begin to be charged for their crimes...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The feds ignore california's state laws all the time...I have seen lic medical MMJ growers who have been inspected and approved by the zoning borad, fire department, and local sheriffs department and operate by state law go to jail and loose everything when the feds come in and raid them. And when the raid happens the same sheriffs that have allready been there and inspected the grows just stand there and watch the feds take everything and have to keep the locals from interfereing.

It just shows the state has no power unless the feds let them have it. I hope tennesse can make this happen, but cant see it happining.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Good for them. More states need to start standing up to the Federal mafia. Unfortunately in my state, New York, our Democrat packed government in Albany (who's probably all bought off in some form or fashion, or brainwashed, or just stupid) loves being subdued in every manner, would probably gladly let the Feds walk in and ravage everyone for fun, and has the 2nd worst budget crisis in the country. I really believe Upstate NY should be separated from NYC, we shouldn't have to pay for them imo. Unfortunately its the healthcare and benefits packages of our state workers that has widened our budget gap, along with jobs being shipped out and lack of revenue, and we are the most taxed state in the nation. Great thread by the way.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This sort of news needs to go viral becasue you know the MSM isn't going to pick up on it. People really do need to educate themselves on the laws of the land and the consitution, becasue if they don't then the only things they will eventually have left are their toys because the Feds will have slowly taken every other right the citizen has while said citizen was playing.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I don't see this being enforced even if it passes. The feds will always find a way around it. Like another poster stated. California can't even police it's own state without the fed destroying their authority.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The Federal Government will do whatever the "F" they want whenever they want regardless if they let the bill pass. They would shut down all transportation in and out of the rogue state if they don't do what they are told.

They fly into foreign hostile nations and kidnap/murder people. So I doubt they are gonna do any different here whether or not there is a sheriff waving a finger at them.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Sounds good but it is the Patriot Act that they face, and in the name of fear it's freedom(extinguisher) shall ring.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I believe the Supremacy law within the constitution will make this new law from Tennessee unconstitutional. States have to cannot make any laws that interfere or supersede the federal governments authority. This will be the first argument made. I do agree that the states need to get it together. States were running their own programs for many years until the Feds took them over. Back in the 1930's and up there's was a reason for the Feds to step in. There was a lot of crime and corruption down to the local levels. It would be great if the states got together and told the Feds no on a lot of things, but like another poster stated, look at Texas. They got bullied down too. All because not only would they have attempted to make Texas a no fly zone, but they would have pulled billions in federal aid. All schools have become dependent on that aid, same as farms, banks and many other organizations. If the Feds were to pull their aid overnight, Rick Perry and many others in that state would probably have been put up for recall since their actions caused so many industries financial hardships overnight.
I agree that local police need to be informed and shown all evidence prior to an arrest by the Feds. That should be mandated in the federal chapters. But since the CIA is part of the Feds and they can't follow their own charter, ie not allowed to operate or surveil within the US, (google NYPD and CIA) then I can't expect the Feds to properly do their job either in my opinion. This Tennessee law would also show which Sheriffs were weak and which ones were the good ones. If the law goes through and found constitutional, I can see the Feds trying to bribe the sheriff's.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Well, if a law like that were to be enforced, all hell would break loose. TSA agents entire job is to conduct unconstitutional searches all day. The IRS agents entire job is to seize people's property all day long without a warrant.

The fact is the USA is totally out of control, and has been ever since the Civil War. Will most Americans ever understand the USA is a fascist dictatorship? The Civil War is when the USA corporation decided they own everyone as their slave... whether Indian or lily white. Complain all you want... just remember if you DO something against them to try and assert your freedoms they will gleefully destroy your life.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
the chain of power where i live is

feds ie the conservation officer and then the sheriff and of course the alphabet orgainization is always top dog

nice to see a win for state rights been getting on our knees for far too long in this country they have forgotten who the real masters are in this country.

they work for us not the other way around we tell them what to do not the other way around.

as it was written it shall be so the constitution aint just a piece of paper
edit on 19-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

To be honest, a state making a law that says the Feds can't arrest someone without their permission makes just as much sense as me saying that I've passed a law that says the Feds can't arrest me. Federal Law has always trumped State Law....Now it doesn't matter if you think thats a good thing or not, it's simply the way the system is set up. This new proposal is nothing but a dog and pony show....If you want to change the law then you need to start at the top down by motivating your politicians to do something.....A local State saying "F you" to the Feds is nothing but a waste of time and taxpayer money as there is no possibility whatsoever that this law will achieve anything.....Even if a case went to court it would be struck down immediately by the lower courts far before it gets to the Supreme Court.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join