It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a Psychopath, does that make me a bad person?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A label assigned by head shrinkers based on a questionnaire, is not the defining element of your ethics.
It is your actions / non-actions that make you good or bad.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnimositisominA
I believe that what kind of person a psychopath becomes is largely determined by how they are brought up. It determines the difference between a fighter pilot and a serial killer. What are your thoughts? How were you raised, and how has it affected you?

I can agree with this somewhat.

I think my current occupation with the military has focused my predisposition to self destruction upon the alleged enemy of Iraqis and Afghani's.

My parents got divorced when I was 5 or 6 yrs old but I do not see this as any kind of contributing factor. It was just a situation that occurred. My childhood was anything but lacking in stimulus. I just am.

In fact I have 2 brothers who have been in more trouble than I will ever be in.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

edit on 18-9-2011 by TheSepticSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Balance yourself. Take fish oil and exercise. You'll be suprised what happens to your brain when you balance your chemistry. Stop the booze and caffine, too. You'll be a different person. Or maybe you like the way you are now? Seems maybe you do.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by watchitburn

You likely aren't a psychopath guy.
Or you are a bad person and you are lying.

There have been several posts like this, people that are enamored with the idea of being a psychopath and say/convince themselves they are one. Maybe it's due to the popularity of Dexter or how Psychopaths are commonly attributed with above average intelligence.

I will tell you though, psychopaths aren't actually that much more intelligent than the average person. It is the lack of emotion and constant barrage of manipulation attempts that make people victims of psychopaths and make psychopaths seem intelligent. Really it's mostly people being ill prepared for and trusting of someone that lacks emotions
edit on 18-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

I can agree with this as well.

I can asure yo ui am no more intelligent than anyone else. I am increasingly absent minded. But as i have said before I have no reason or need to manipulate others.

Frankly, I have no use for people. They are inconsistent, unreliable, and irritating.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
If aliens attacked earth and were by all measures a much superior race AND most people thought the humans were going to lose, but fought anyway because that's what humans do...

-and-

After escaping from the burnt up city and braving the wilderness, you're caught by an alien that is collecting samples from the trees. The alien asks you to be his slave and live, or run and die. You have reason to think he's honest. You notice that he does not have an identifiable weapon on him. You have a pistol beneath your coat. You think there's a good chance you can kill him by lying to him and shooting him when he looks away and then making a quick run for it.

Do you:
1) Drop your weapon and become his slave, leaving behind other humans to die.
2) Lie to him and try to shoot him so that you can rejoin other people in the fight to survive.
edit on 18-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

Shoot the alien and continue my quest for personal survival.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
But otherwise I would get along just fine never having any interaction with a human being.

This sounds like you trying to fit the description of anti social personality disorder, but misinterpreting it.
Being antisocial isn't a trait psychopathy, probably the opposite. Anti-social personality disorder (psychopathy) doesn't mean literally anti-social.

I am not trying to fit anything. I just generally dislike talking to people. They are commonly inefficient.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Ummmm I'm not convinced that your particular Doctor got that one right. I have dealt with guys who were entitled temperamental Narcissists (Socios and psychs can be -are!- narci) who were --horrendously-- unreliable. "I'll call you" I mean, they tell ya whatever is convenient, and don't give a flying saucer if you are waiting for their fulfilled promise or whatever. It's all about their convenience, desires, needs, being met, period.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

reply to post by dragonridr

Exactly! If a psychopath is diagnosed as one, they will deny it vehemently.

As I have said, this is an anonymous forum. I have nothing to gain by denying who I am. I could easily create a new profile.

But I have committed no crimes, so I would like to think my contributions will encourage independent thought.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Seems to me that you are struggling with being desensitized, and disillusioned with humanity. This is not a disorder, and is probably the only rational response to the world these days.

If you were a real "psychopath", this very thread would be laced with intent to manipulate, but as you have stated you have no intention to manipulate others.

You are not a psychopath, your doctor is a fool.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul

most people that are considered 'normal' have more f'd up problems then your average pyschopath
i believe that pyschopaths have an ability to see the world for what it is but our system of language and society makes it impossible for them to express it

I agree with you 100%. I am able to observe what is going on in this world without any bias. And in my opinion, the
"average Joe" is screwed.

haha thats exactly how i feel. when i look at the world im able to asses situations or problems without bias and or social conditioning/ emotion
i think its actually a valuable thing but like i said
the idea of free thinking in looked down apon and its hard to express when everyone else spends so long talking in a competley different way

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mouldilocks
Hello,

I'd be really interested to see what your solution would be to the problem posed here, if you'd care to oblige.
Cheers

I would want to know who this persons action would effect. How my action might alter the outcome. But ultimately I cannot say.
I would like to think I would end this person but, what if I learned he was ridding the world of a tyrant worse than Hitler?

I think there is no right answer.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Originally posted by Signals
Do you feel sympathy for others?

Remorse for things you have done wrong?

What is your current job position / situation?

Do you often lie about your past?

No, I do not feel sympathy for others. Everyone has the chance to make their own decisions.

No, I feel no remorse. Anyone I have "wronged" allowed themselves to be in that position.

I am currently active duty military.

No, I do not lie about my past. I will not speak of certain things if they serve no purpose, but making up thing also serves no purpose.

Well then, psychopaths lie a lot about their past...

Also, as another poster pointed out, psychopaths rarely (if ever) admit or realize they are in fact psychopaths, they think they are normal and everybody else is to be used and abused like inanimate objects or animals.

So my diagnosis is NO, not a psychopath.

Crazy?

Maybe

edit on 18-9-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

I agree people are to be used as necessary. but I do not see a purpose in using people for no productive purpose other than superficial use.You may gain support in the short term but, animosity in the long term.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Might I suggest that 'having no use for people' as you stated and being a self declared Psychopath probably isn't the BEST personality type to be in our Armed Forces? I'm just thinking, the Military has become a real 'people-person' kind of job with all this peacekeeping and nation building going on. Wouldn't that be a real BAD place for a person with your....unique outlook on life?

I don't think so. My job lets me determine what should happen regardless of what the ave. person might think. Not that I think our Govt. is right but some things are easier when you are not being observed.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Are you an airline pilot?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nekbet

I have to agree with you on this point... the psychopath's I have met in my life have a clear vision on humanity.
It is the sociopath that is more harmful in my humble opinion.

Thank you for this post.

I do not seek to harm humanity. I just want to be left alone.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSepticSceptic

I take vitamins and exorcise twice a day. It has nothing to do with how I perceive the world.
Vitamins do not change who you are.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

My spouse is a psychopath; so, I am familiar with the affliction.

We non-psychopaths can be logical, demanding of acceptable proofs and skeptic as well. That alone is a character trait, not a symptom of psychopathy. In fact, my psychopathic spouse is the opposite.

While it cannot be 'cured', nor can it be simply switched 'off' by deciding to not be a psychopath - there are medications (whose side effects are as bad if not worse than the affliction in SOME cases) which help to relieve the suffering.

I can tell you that sometimes it's HELL on the spouse.

Anyway, yes, you can be 'good' or 'not good'. That fluctuates from day to day, hour to hour. I truly have no idea how much control a psychopath might be able to have over the switches back and forth.

Can you answer this question with the first impression that comes to your mind.

If you were driving and saw a person hit by a hit 'n' run driver, lying injured in the middle of the street, what would you do?

Thank you!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

Can you answer this question with the first impression that comes to your mind.

If you were driving and saw a person hit by a hit 'n' run driver, lying injured in the middle of the street, what would you do?

Thank you!

Continue driving.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

If you were clinically diagnosed you couldn't be active duty.

I don't think a lot of people here (judging by other members posts) really can grasp what a psychopath actually is.

edit on 18-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join