It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Grocery Strike in 2 hours in San Diego

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Possible Grocery Strike in 2 hours in San Diego

www.signonsandiego.com

After eight months of negotiations with the Albertsons, Ralphs and Vons chains, the UFCW gave notice on Thursday that it may call a strike at any time after 7 tonight over a failure so far to reach agreement on health benefits.

The grocery chains have repeatedly issued statements condemning what they call union strike threats that “unnecessarily alarm” employees and customers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I work at a Privately owned retail health food store. We have been hearing from upper management that by 7pm tonight pacific time we will know if this strike will happen. From the looks of it, its going to happen. And when it does happen, there will be quite a few grocery stores here in San Diego that will shut down due to the strike and I am going to be extremely busy working at our store.

www.signonsandiego.com

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7

I work at a Privately owned retail health food store. We have been hearing from upper management that by 7pm tonight pacific time we will know if this strike will happen. From the looks of it, its going to happen. And when it does happen, there will be quite a few grocery stores here in San Diego that will shut down due to the strike and I am going to be extremely busy working at our store.

www.signonsandiego.com

Good Luck

“Go ahead and strike, lots of people need a job,” he wrote Friday in comments on SignOnSanDiego.com. “I will see all of you as I cross the picket line.”

He’s among many people who are criticizing the United Food and Commercial Workers for considering a strike on Albertsons, Vons and Ralphs at a time when county unemployment is at 10.2 percent, a record number of people are on food stamps and just about everyone is paying more for health care.

You may have some brand new co-workers soon

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7

I work at a Privately owned retail health food store.

How do you like working at the health food store? Did you learn anything surprising when you started there? Good luck with the possible influx of customers tonight.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I live in San Diego too. I remember the last time they did a "strike" and during the wild fires too. I remember going to Vons with smoke and ash raining down, to get batteries and a few supplies because the power was out, and being verbally attacked by picketers.I couldn't believe, that during that disaster, they would harrass people who just needed emergency supplies.

My employer doesn't even offer medical benefits and keeps our hours so low as to avoid being unlawful! It's disturbing and revealing that these store would just shut down, rather than hire "line crossers" especially in this ecomony. I don't think the strike is going to happen, really. But if it does they get no sympathy from me.

But you do OP, better take your vitamins!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Sorry, after reading the title I couldn't help thinking about ICBCCs those being Inter-Continental Ballistic Carrots and Cabbages and how you protect yourself against such a thing.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
hmmmm...just had to find out what all the fuss was about and worth striking over....

Here is a list of positions, and salaries from Alberton's in San Diego. Not bad really.

Albertsons Salaries in San Diego, CA Area www.glassdoor.com...

Pharmacist

6 Albertsons Salaries in San Diego (161 in US)
$111,553
$104k
$116k

Graduate Pharmacist - Hourly

6 Albertsons Salaries in San Diego (59 in US)
$25.29/hr
$24
$27

Pharmacist - Hourly

3 Albertsons Salaries in San Diego (161 in US)
$56.00/hr
$54
$58

Courtesy Clerk - Hourly

2 Albertsons Salaries in San Diego (13 in US)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Just because unemployment is high wokers should not have to give up their rights to better wages and benefits. Working a retail job is very demanding, even more so when management takes on the "you're lucky to have a job" attitude.

I wish them luck if they do decide to strike.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
will the self checkout robots be on strike as well? what about redbox?

i need movies and beer

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Hope they don't give Walmart too many new customers.

But yeah, I hope they get what they want out of their strike. Having options is important.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
"So we'll march day and night by the big cooling tower..they have the plant(S) (fresh produce :lol
but we have the power!"

Get that dental plan! But in all seriousness, due to low employment in the U.S I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more workers losing more rights with the fore mentioned 'you're lucky to even have a job' attitude! Good luck man!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'll cross their picket line in a heartbeat. They are protesting over having to pay 2-8 dollars more for their healthcare... it's a joke. Not to mention, it's my firm belief that Jerry Brown has his goon squad pressing the California unions to stir up as munch bleep as possible. If you don't live in this state it's probably not as easy to understand, but Cali is in the midst of what appears to be a union take over, with Jerry Brown at the tip of the spear. Either way, to those in California that shop at Albertsons, and Vons, etc. etc. Cross these lines if you have to.

There are cheaper places to shop for day to day groceries, however, many are not as local as the union stores so do what you want. Gas is too expensive to be casing down 30 cent deals anyway.

Screw the unions. They operate like mobsters. I know, I was in a construction union for along time. Unions are great, on paper, and in principle. Workers rights are important in a civil society and its important to have a support system to see to it that that happens. BUT, the unions now are starting to look like the unions operating in Chicago, back in the Capone days. California unions care about one thing, money. State employees are set for life with some of the best pensions known to mankind; prison workers (CO's, janitors, any of them) in some cases have two pensions that are guaranteed, paid for by taxpayers. On a side note, prison's in California are a private industry, but thats a topic for another thread.

From my point of view, having been there and learned many things about the unions, and now standing by and watching them tear down california for their own financial gains, I will never hesitate to cross a picket line. In other states, i would reconsider, but around here unions aren't what they are meant to be. F em.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
I'll cross their picket line in a heartbeat. They are protesting over having to pay 2-8 dollars more for their healthcare... it's a joke. Not to mention, it's my firm belief that Jerry Brown has his goon squad pressing the California unions to stir up as munch bleep as possible. If you don't live in this state it's probably not as easy to understand, but Cali is in the midst of what appears to be a union take over, with Jerry Brown at the tip of the spear. Either way, to those in California that shop at Albertsons, and Vons, etc. etc. Cross these lines if you have to.

There are cheaper places to shop for day to day groceries, however, many are not as local as the union stores so do what you want. Gas is too expensive to be casing down 30 cent deals anyway.

Screw the unions. They operate like mobsters. I know, I was in a construction union for along time. Unions are great, on paper, and in principle. Workers rights are important in a civil society and its important to have a support system to see to it that that happens. BUT, the unions now are starting to look like the unions operating in Chicago, back in the Capone days. California unions care about one thing, money. State employees are set for life with some of the best pensions known to mankind; prison workers (CO's, janitors, any of them) in some cases have two pensions that are guaranteed, paid for by taxpayers. On a side note, prison's in California are a private industry, but thats a topic for another thread.

From my point of view, having been there and learned many things about the unions, and now standing by and watching them tear down california for their own financial gains, I will never hesitate to cross a picket line. In other states, i would reconsider, but around here unions aren't what they are meant to be. F em.

this is exactly why besides silicon valley and the entertainment industry, other businesses are fleeing california. I lived in LA for 2 years gorgeous state blessed by mother nature, but after leaving la for NYC (remember what I said I went to NYC) my cell phone bill decreased by 14% entirely because of taxes and fees.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
A lot of people need jobs,even the undocumented ones. Strikes are one of the things that put Safeway Stores out of business in the south.
edit on 18-9-2011 by Papagrune because: corret sentent

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Personally, I feel it is wrong to strike in this economic climate. No sympathy here. Unions are part of the reason food prices are so sky high today. Unions are hurting for money to donate to political parties right now. I don't for a minute think the workers are the heart of the matter...it's money.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Unfortunately we can't hire them cause there union and are still employed with the grocery store there striking on.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

I've been working in the health field alternative medicine for over 17 years now. I enjoy it and learn something new almost every day

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Our biggest competitor is Ralphs which is right next to us. This is going to be a great opportunity for us cause we were told they will shut down for the strike. We are the only grocery store on the west side of I-15. We are expecting atleast 5X the business starting tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Sooo....has it started yet?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The UFCW? United Food and Commercial Workers Union.....

The employees better be very careful. UFCW works for the corporations.... they are a sell-out.

I know, I was very highly screwed by the UFCW here in Florida as a healthcare worker unfortunate enough to be a member of their alleged "union". They are criminal.

Edit to add: UFCW Local No. 1625 rep debra hughes victim here
edit on 9/18/2011 by dreams n chains because: add union number

edit on 9/18/2011 by dreams n chains because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join