It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Shows on TV Right Now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I sitting here watching the Emmy Awards show and thinking about the kinds of tv shows that I like to watch. Since I don't have cable I, on occasion, like to do google searches for things like "best show on tv" or "top ten tv shows" to see what's on and what's good.

Sometimes I'll find a new show that I never heard of before so, I got to thinking, I'll do a list of my top ten tv shows on right now and maybe help someone else find a show they're interested in. This is strictly my opinion and since I prefer drama there is little in the way of sitcoms (with one exception). Plus, these are only shows that are currently in production.

So, here goes, in no particular order:

Breaking Bad
Justified
The Killing
Boardwalk Empire
Sons of Anarchy
Game of Thrones
The Walking Dead
Treme
The Borgias
Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Agree, disagree, let's see your lists. I'm always interested in hearing what else is on out there.

edit on 18-9-2011 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
dexter
how i met your mother
eastbound and down

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Curb Your Enthusiasm deserves a mention for sure.

I will add more as I think of them. I'm very much looking forward to tonight's Breaking Bad (probably THE best show on TV now, period)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's not being aired at the moment, but Mad Men is a great show. Season 5 should be coming out in the not too distant future, they just began production of it recently. Really the only tv show I ever spent the time to watch in it's entirety.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
TV fills your head full of s**t

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Here are my favorite shows....

------------------------------------------------ ....did you get that?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I never got into Mad Men. Watched the first few episodes and it didn't catch on with me.

And as for the seabhac-rua's comment; only if you let it.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

You called a few of my favs, SoAnarchy, Treme and Breaking Bad. I would add Fringe, House maybe, and I wish there was a decent sci fi show. Eureka is a quaint show, so squeaky clean it almost seems cheesy, but it is a good family show with a bit o sci fi.
Treme is really good if you are a musician, the story and cast are awesome, but imo the music scene is just downright the avant garde of funk! Tubas for da bass line

ETA: I watch these online, as I have no TV, and moderation of course applies here, but I have not seen a commercial in years cuz those things make me crazy! Here is a site to watch(not download) shows commercial free:
www.watchseries-online.com...

Peace,
spec
edit on 18-9-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Yeah, I love Treme. Like you said the music and cast are great.

And if you other clowns hate tv so much why are you in the television forum? Just ignore.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Every tv show is meant to brainwash you. The Emmie are a occult ritual. Forget the nuke, the TV is the most powerful weapon on the planet. Roman citizens wear forced to watch at least 2 plays a year so they could be programed. We willingly watch at least 5hrs a day and its all the same crap. At least the plays in Roam had poetry and philosophy. Today's tv is repeats with different themes because they have to stick with the brainwashing formula. The tv is not bad the people that control it are bad. Imagine what could be if all tv shows wear educational.
edit on 18-9-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
To your list I'd add:
Doctor Who
Being Human (the bbc version)
House md
Game of Thrones
Haven

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
"V" which has been cancelled
House
Ghost Hunters - mostly because
I like the old places they visit.
Oh did I say "V" which has been
cancelled.
For the most part TV shows are
junk IMO.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
For those of you, who have a strange sense of humour...& are not British...I'd suggest watching Shooting Stars

Since I do not actually watch tv much...I only end up watching, when I have time:

Takeshi's Castle

Ninja Warrior

...& The Simpsons, lol..

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Doctor who
Torchwood(I know *sigh*)
True blood(Tara's gotten on my nerves being the angry woman:@@

Any masterpiece classic on PBS
Nova PBS
Frontline PBS
Anything I can watch on PBS,
House
Dead like me(Canceled)
That's about it on my list

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
I sitting here watching the Emmy Awards show and thinking about the kinds of tv shows that I like to watch. Since I don't have cable I, on occasion, like to do google searches for things like "best show on tv" or "top ten tv shows" to see what's on and what's good.

Sometimes I'll find a new show that I never heard of before so, I got to thinking, I'll do a list of my top ten tv shows on right now and maybe help someone else find a show they're interested in. This is strictly my opinion and since I prefer drama there is little in the way of sitcoms (with one exception). Plus, these are only shows that are currently in production.

So, here goes, in no particular order:

Breaking Bad
Justified
The Killing
Boardwalk Empire
Sons of Anarchy
Game of Thrones
The Walking Dead
Treme
The Borgias
Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Agree, disagree, let's see your lists. I'm always interested in hearing what else is on out there.

How I Met your Mother.
Dexter
The Mentalist
Criminal Minds
Justified.

There are my top 5...in no particular order.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I agree with the previous poster V was a great show, sad it was cancelled but I'm not sure how they would have come back from the last episode.
Better off ted was cancelled a while ago but was hilarious, I wish they'd bring it back.
Outsourced can be funny but they moved it too late (10:30)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
Every tv show is meant to brainwash you. The Emmie are a occult ritual. Forget the nuke, the TV is the most powerful weapon on the planet. Roman citizens wear forced to watch at least 2 plays a year so they could be programed. We willingly watch at least 5hrs a day and its all the same crap. At least the plays in Roam had poetry and philosophy. Today's tv is repeats with different themes because they have to stick with the brainwashing formula. The tv is not bad the people that control it are bad. Imagine what could be if all tv shows wear educational.
edit on 18-9-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

Look at the excitement around you. Do these people LOOK like they want all-educational TV? Think about it. Doesn't that seem the least bit fascistic on your part?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
TopGear (BBC) the American version is CRAP...well Tanner is ok but that is the only thing good about that one...
MMA fights (Strikeforce,UFC,ETC) I know they are not a "show" technically but I needed a 2nd line.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
There is quite a bit of educational TV programming. There's the Learning Channel, the History Channel, National Geographic, Discovery, etc., etc. and they have some excellent and informative shows.

Personally, depends on my mood, sometimes I want to learn, other times, I simply want escapism. Just like reading a good book...could be for either.

Some of my favorite shows are in the Emmy most lauded list, some are on the "trashy" TV list. Personally, I only care whether or not I like it....

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I can't think of anything more pointlessly proud than the "I don't watch TV" people. Hey, that's great, you don't watch TV, congratulations. Most of you seem to fill up all that free time you gained by not watching TV with telling people how you don't watch TV and TV is bad. Get off your evangelical high horse and at least be unrepentantly smug and self-righteous to yourself.

Yeah, a lot of TV is bad. The majority of it is, but throughout the, I don't know, 60, 70 years it's been on there has been INCREDIBLE television shows. Shows that could rival the greats of literature or film. TV happens to be the perfect medium to tell a story in. They're only a slight step above books, because the visual element can really take things up a notch in a way that an author just describing something to you can't do. Especially if whatever's being described is meant to be symbolic or metaphorical. Where television really blows everything out of the water is time. A season of TV can be anywhere from 6 hours to 13 hours long. In that time you can flesh out a character, watch them grow, watch plots move forward, intertwine, resolve and explode in amazing ways.

To call TV bullsh*t or worthless is to suggest burning down an art gallery because there's painting of naked people. You have the right to not like painting of naked people, you have the right to not look at them, but it's stupid to cast off the whole lot because you can't see past what offends you. I'm not religious, but I always dug God's "One good man in Sodom" bit (how'd the end, by the way? everybody fine, nobody hurt, right?). There's a bunch of great things on television and because people get so uptight and snotty about it they actually deprive themselves of ART. Here's my list of shows that are currently in production that I love. It's not all art, but it's all well-made entertainment.

Breaking Bad
Community
Parks and Recreation
Louie
Doctor Who
(BBC's Masterpiece Mysteries) Sherlock
Game of Thrones

top topics

<<   2 >>

join