It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Who Pronounce and Spell the Name of Jesus In Weird Old Testament Variants are Going to Hell

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by amodedoma
reply to post by jmdewey60

Words do not create meaning, meanings are nexus of associations born of the common context of the human experience. This is why human languages are translatable.
A change in context, from this image in your mind of the loving Jesus blessing the children and giving sight to the blind, to this other image of a sword wielding warrior slaying women and children.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by daikaiju

You stated you have not been to church in over 6 months, I say it is time to go back to purge all that kool-aid you have been drinking.
I said the reason was personal but you seem to go ahead and inflate that to mean something else. Let me give you an example of a "personal reason". Having your driver's license suspended. Not for drunk driving or something but not being able to pay for insurance. Not a happy sort of thing to be telling the world about, exactly.
Drinking kool-aid is an expression that goes back to Jonestown where the cult was taught to drink cyanide lased kool-aid to commit mass suicide. So your using this expression implies I belong to a cult. I don't. I read the Bible on a daily basis and all these ideas you are complaining about come from that. I don't read religious blogs more that to look up a topic and find out what verses they are using to support a view, then I close the page and look them up on net.bible.org, or Biblos.com

edit on 21-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
"WE" don't cast out evil spirits. We stand by while the angels do that. We have little control other than a messenger to ask for help. The intervention occurs because it is time or there is a need, not because we decide those things. You are on dangerous ground if you think that puny humans have some power to make any spirit do anything (human or inhuman)

Remember Moses struck the rock and said WE, meaning me and God? BIg mistake. Stay humble.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Have another church member pick you up,thats what I did when I had my spinal surgery and could not walk

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
"WE" don't cast out evil spirits. We stand by while the angels do that. We have little control other than a messenger to ask for help. The intervention occurs because it is time or there is a need, not because we decide those things. You are on dangerous ground if you think that puny humans have some power to make any spirit do anything (human or inhuman)

Remember Moses struck the rock and said WE, meaning me and God? BIg mistake. Stay humble.
That is a method of rationalization for it.
If there are dangers you see, it may be useful to describe some of those.
My main emphasis is not to convince people to go out and be exorcists but to apply the basic principle to at least their own life, which is saying the name, Jesus, and in a way in accordance with the New Testament.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by daikaiju

Have another church member pick you up,thats what I did when I had my spinal surgery and could not walk
What I set out is like the tip of the iceberg and actually more that I care to divulge so I don't want to go further in depth on my current situation.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

There is always a way, 2 and 1/2 years agoi was in a hospital bed dying from a staph infection that damaged a bit of my brain, I should have died, but with the grace of God i am still here, so if i can make it as a crippled and afflicted you can too.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

You may enjoy going into that sort of detail, I don't.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Just making the point that it can be done,there is always a way

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by daikaiju

Just making the point that it can be done,there is always a way
I just don't want to get into a soap opera.
I am glad for you that you survived your complications, or I am guessing that's what you mean.
So what you are saying is that despite all your problems, you went to church. You could share in what your experience was like, at church, and how it was all worth the effort.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

That is a method of rationalization for it.
If there are dangers you see, it may be useful to describe some of those.
My main emphasis is not to convince people to go out and be exorcists but to apply the basic principle to at least their own life, which is saying the name, Jesus, and in a way in accordance with the New Testament.

You are exactly where you are supposed to be. Experiencing just what you are. To try and mitigate your life's journey by invoking a name or a certain kind of prayer is trying to manipulate for your own discomfort or gain. Try helping or praying for OTHERS.
i humbly beseech you oh Lord, i suffer, please show me the way, thy will be done.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't see it that way. "Invoking" a name is a normal part of religion and think about what daikaiju said about going to church. Do you know why people go to church? It is for exactly the thing you are calling "manipulating". People are gathering together to invoke the presence of God to be among them.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

For the most part Americans goto church to get a feel good. We as a nation are spiritually dead. We are selfish, self centered, greedy megalomaniacs. All week long we love money, things and ourselves. Then on Sunday, we flock to church to beg forgiveness for our sins. We are forgiven regardless right? If we pray for others, it is only because we don't have the time or concern, kind of dumping it in God's lap to take care of for us. Then we feel better having spent one whole hour in a pretty building to wash our hands of everyone and everything else. And then we go back to our wretched pursuits, pretending piety all the time. Hey, I go to church and I believe and give a few bucks to whatever so I'm OK. Until next Sunday. Try not going and tell me about how guilty your God makes you feel?
Sorry dude, I hate to pop the modern interpretation of the spirit bubble, but THAT is my opinion.
By the way, you don't have to go anywhere to find God. He is either with you or not, anywhere.
edit on 22-9-2011 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That's a superficial religion church you are thinking of. The church I grew up in was very solemn and no feel-good like that and we had real piety and not pretend. You might want to look to a different kind of church to go to.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMSN

You are aware the Bible is orginally in Hebrew right ? You are aware that Jesus was a Jew right? You are aware that English is not the only spoken or written language right? Most likely not.

If only we could all be as smart as you and denigrate with your aplomb.
He/she asked a question. God forbid.

demons are cast out in the name of Jesus?

Name of "Jesus."

From that passage the OP is suggesting the name JESUS is somehow special or unique and powerful in the way it is said or used or spelled as J-e-s-u-s, and that any other reference to The Lord might be so blasphemous as to be equal to summoning up or, conjuring up demons, and effectively send the speaker straight to hell.... either literally or figuratively.
I don't think it is the best theory but if we start sniping at regular people for making innocent suggestions that do not attack anyone, then we have lost all reason for conversation.
edit on 22-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I was expecting criticism but where I was disappointed was in the lack of a convincing argument.
I believe there are fake religions that are just invented but there is financing through front foundations to promote them and enough doubters in traditional Christianity that there are takers, thinking this is an improvement, when it is really going backwards.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

reply to post by newcovenant

I was expecting criticism but where I was disappointed was in the lack of a convincing argument.
I believe there are fake religions that are just invented but there is financing through front foundations to promote them and enough doubters in traditional Christianity that there are takers, thinking this is an improvement, when it is really going backwards.

You never know. There are subtleties in religion we are not aware of. There are secrets we have not been told and it is a good idea to be open to them so you know them when you hear them. This is why closed minds bother me. They are like closed doors. It is not for you and I to worry about though because the doors are not locking US out. They are locking them in and keeping them prisoners inside their own small minds.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I had a friend who was into going to a feel good church. He was, what I came to understand, less than completely honest. I should have know that when I first met him, where he sold me an engine he promised me was good that turned out needing to have a head replaced. I must have given him the benefit of the doubt, and just let it slide. He would always be trying to get me to come to these meetings which I never figured out. The people acted suspicious of me because I wasn't jumping around and looking happy so they thought I probably had a demon and one preacher thought I was actually Satan himself. This church had a history of having a pastor come in and get members to invest in something he was promoting, then absconding with the money. This happened over and over and consistently, so who were delusional here?

edit on 22-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pthena

Finkelstein concerns himself with political issues. This is a religious thread, therefore I will apply the "New antisemitism" to religion, specifically Christianity.

Since certain Christian sects and cults and movements consider the worldly, physical, corrupt, and violent political entity known as the State of Israel to be some holy fulfillment of prophecy. These "Christians" place corrupt government on an equal par with Jesus as being holy. Thus these "Christians" serve anti-Christ as substitute for Christ.

Moreover, in service to their master, they call real Christians (who have no regard for earthly Zion) anti-semitic.

I agree and disagree with this. Israel returning to a nation again is a fulfillment of prophecy. However if Israels actions are unjust in the eyes of God, He and He alone will deal with them. We see this in Revelation and Daniel and the remnant spared.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by the4thhorseman

You may want to take up the political aspects of your argument on Pthena's thread in middle-east politics sub-forum. As for the religious aspect, which can not avoid the facts on the ground, which are by definition, political, I would make a brief comment: it is not a fulfillment just for the thing you cited, this question of "if Israels actions are unjust". They are by the standards of the establishment of the United Nations, the Balfour declaration which gave the British Crown's approval, the Geneva Convention, International Laws on crimes against Humanity, and Laws of Warfare. Then, you have the only justification, a group if Israeli rabbis who declare that the Ten Commandment only apply towards other Jews, and not to how you treat Christians and Muslims. These things are in themselves sufficient evidence that God did not lead them and this is not fulfillment of prophecy. The "state" was founded by secular Jews and some Sabbetains who believe in turning the Ten Commandments up side down to where it means we should kill, and we should steal. The Orthodox Jews opposed the man-made "state" and believed in waiting on the Lord and their coming Messiah.
The true fulfillment of prophecy and the promise to Abraham, as explained in the New Testament, is Jesus.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join