It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus Really Tempted by Satan?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by FaceLikeTheSun

Look, either Jesus was the "Son of Man" which he said he was, or "Son of God." Satan, fallen or not, is a "Son of God." Satan is a creation the way ones son is a creation.

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the Sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

Jesus is called the Son over 200 times throughout the N.T. The Father is referred to as distinct from the Son over 200 times. Over 50 times Jesus the Son and the Father are mentioned in the same verse, according to letusreason.org.

Yep, I agree that Satan is a created being of God. However, Satan is in full rebellion to his creator. Trust me bro, I know about the sons of God...in Hebrew, Benei Ha Elohim...greek septuigint translates it Angels of God. Angels can sin as well, but it seems God has no redemption plan for them.

2 Peter 2:4 (NIV)
"For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;"

Jude 6 (NIV)
"And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home--these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day."

Watch my film...it spells it out for ya ageofdeceit.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I don't even know if Jesus had a last name...I think most people who lived back then were referred to as something like this...Stephen son of John....Dianne daughter of Alice...

But to be truthful...I really believe that he was called Jesus the Christ in english I should say...he was Aramaic...so his name would be something like this as I am not sure on the spelling...Yeshua ha Meshiech
which translates too Jesus the Messiah, or Jesus the Christ....Jesus Christ for short...

I do also remember someone telling me that Christ means Teacher or Master....not entirely sure of this either

The whole point is He is the word, the second in the trinity, the Father being first...These three are one...just as you are three in one

Body Soul and Spirit...

Jesus who was and still is called the Christ is who he said he is...God the Son

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I also believe it was a special event and noone should try these things....my only point was that the spirit lives on...

I also agree with what you said most conjured beings are..keep it up

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have not read the replies, so I may be repeating what someone else wrote.
But,
Jesus, like any enlightened person, had a burden. The burden is to teach a better way, while not succumbing to the temptations of the flesh...being human.
The way of the teacher is very difficult, not only because you are burdened with teaching, but because you lose the common connection with your peers as just being one of them, one of the guys so to speak.
In "The Last Temptation Of Christ", the last temptation was to be just a normal man, raise kids, and be like everyone else. But, sacrificing oneself for the benefit of mankind is not the road most people are willing or even capable of doing.
It can be argued that Satan (in any of these scenarios with Good vs. evil) was just being human and fallible, while Jesus was "trying" to be a "God", but that is a different argument altogether.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Hay good question and I have asked it myself. If Jesus went into the wilderness alone and there was no one there to record the conversation how did it end up in the text?

I see a lot of christains in here clearing the holster on you over asking this question.....instead of tackling the question they give you a bible lession.

The answer would appear to be that Jesus told the disciples the story Himself. There is indications that Jesus talked about things like seeing satan fall from heaven ect. He said a lot when He called Himself the I Am as that in itself indicated strongly that He was claiming an existence before He was even born....but I digress.

John said that all of His words and deads would contain so many volumes that the world couldnt hold them....a manner of speaking to be sure but certainly He must have talked a great deal to them in conversation around the fire or over dinner and as He walked along.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

First off let me say that I am NOT a Christain

I'm not asking for evidence, but discussing the possibility of the story having been manipulated. I was raised Christian, and while I don't prescribe to the doctrines of Christianity, I do believe in the "Christ" consciousness and value all paths to enlightenment.

I think this story reveals a break in charactor of the biblical representation of this man I believe was a charismatic rabbi that spoke to the masses, who was the son of a carpenter.

Just an observation.

The point being made in this passage is that Satan perverts the word of God to manipulate people into following him and not God. Jesus was teaching us how important it is for us to know the whole word of God. Without knowledge of the whole one can be easily swayed to follow Satan's ways even though they believe they are following God. So I don't consider this a break in character as his whole life is a demonstration on how to react in every situation. This is why its important for everyone who is Christian or is looking for understanding to read the entire word.
edit on 18-9-2011 by sacgamer25 because: incorrect quote format

edit on 18-9-2011 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyesdown
I thought Jesus was god? If so how would god be tempted by one of his own creations?

Yeah! I guess that's the paradox that special ed is refering to. Good catch.

Jesus actually only revealed to his disciples that he was indeed God, and even they did not understand. To the demons and all the rest of humanity he was presented as the son of God. It’s through Jesus actions and words to the disciples that we know he was indeed God in the flesh. Satan in his arrogance could not see this so it is fitting that he would challenge the son of God since he was disobedient to God the father.
You are making an incorrect assumption about Satan’s knowledge of the situation.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25

The point being made in this passage is that Satan perverts the word of God to manipulate people into following him and not God. Jesus was teaching us how important it is for us to know the whole word of God. Without knowledge of the whole one can be easily swayed to follow Satan's ways even though they believe they are following God.

Are you saying that the word of God has been perverted by Satan?

I'm pretty sure the message Jesus was teaching was unique to most who had heard it, and frightening to those in power. I believe he based his teachings on Jewish mysticism.

So, what "whole word" are you refering to? Jesus wasn't aware of the works of Paul, so he couldn't have been refering to the "whole word" as the New Testament, because it wasn't written yet.

My point is that there are discrepancies in the NT that seem to indicate that the testimony of the disciples have been embellished.

So I don't consider this a break in character as his whole life is a demonstration on how to react in every situation.

When you say "this" do you mean his telling of the story of his temptation? How do you think this story was relayed, since he was alone in the desert? With what tone would he have delivered a story like that? I can't see it, he would either come off as bragging or awed at the sight of Satan and humbled to have passed the test.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I say most all religions and churches pervert the word of God every Sunday. It is through Satan that they have been allowed to be deceived.

I don't believe that Jesus telling his story to his disciples would have been bragging. It would simply have come across as another teaching. Letting the disciples know that they too would be tested by Satan.

I would like to know what other parts of the NT you believe to be embellished.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Jesus actually only revealed to his disciples that he was indeed God, and even they did not understand. To the demons and all the rest of humanity he was presented as the son of God. It’s through Jesus actions and words to the disciples that we know he was indeed God in the flesh. Satan in his arrogance could not see this so it is fitting that he would challenge the son of God since he was disobedient to God the father.
You are making an incorrect assumption about Satan’s knowledge of the situation.

That a lot of assumption you've got going on there. You know what Satan knew? Satan may have defied God, as many sons defy their fathers, but they seem to have a cordial relationship, according to Job. I don't believe that Jesus was God in the flesh, nope, but that's why I'm not a Christain. I don't believe he said he was. He refered to his father a lot!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

That a lot of assumption you've got going on there. You know what Satan knew? Satan may have defied God, as many sons defy their fathers, but they seem to have a cordial relationship, according to Job. I don't believe that Jesus was God in the flesh, nope, but that's why I'm not a Christain. I don't believe he said he was. He refered to his father a lot!

The demons called Jesus the son of God so I don't believe this to be an assumption. Jesus referred to himself by many of the same names God used in reference to himself in the Old Testament. This would be blasphemy if he was not indeed God. I do not have time to find these verses for you but I’m sure you could Google this for yourself.
edit on 18-9-2011 by sacgamer25 because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

Fair enough, you are one of the few who have actually answered the question!

I believe the virgin birth and the ressurection were embellished. I actually am one of those who believes Jesus survived, and went to France with Mary Magdeline.

I don't like St Paul much, the bickering with Peter and the way he weasled himself as the 13th apostle, wrestling it away from Matthias, who was voted in by the other apostles, was highly unethical. I think his books are the total manipulation of the Catholic Church.

The only books of the NT I take as a history of this man Jesus are Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. The rest is suspicious.

Revelations is a tool used by TPTB to instill fear. I don't believe that Jesus preached fear at all, so anything along those lines I disregard.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I believe Jesus taught reincarnation, that is why he refers to having been around before Abraham, and his claim of being Elijah, but I don't think he said he was god. He said that all that he is and has done we can do and be and more.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Fair enough, you are one of the few who have actually answered the question!

I believe the virgin birth and the ressurection were embellished. I actually am one of those who believes Jesus survived, and went to France with Mary Magdeline.

I don't like St Paul much, the bickering with Peter and the way he weasled himself as the 13th apostle, wrestling it away from Matthias, who was voted in by the other apostles, was highly unethical. I think his books are the total manipulation of the Catholic Church.

The only books of the NT I take as a history of this man Jesus are Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. The rest is suspicious.

Revelations is a tool used by TPTB to instill fear. I don't believe that Jesus preached fear at all, so anything along those lines I disregard.

The Virgin Birth can only be answered by faith. And the assumption that indeed Jesus did actually complete all the requirements of the old testament’s Messiah as prophesied.

I believe the existence and the expansion of the church could only have happened through the resurrection, but even this has to be accepted by faith. And see above

The information in Paul’s books and letters would be the only place I might agree. I don’t have a link right now but I do now in my bible there are a few questionable versus that don’t appear in the original manuscript. I am not accusing anyone of manipulating them but I do have a hard time fitting them in to the scripture.

I believe revelations is the most perverted book in the NT. Not saying it's not the word of God but the amount of times it is used to bring fear. I agree Jesus did not intend to bring fear he was simply trying to make sure his people stayed ready. If you think about it we all experience the end time. None of us know the time and day of our death, but we all die. I believe that is what Jesus is saying. I think this is the way he choose to get his point across. I believe that revelations does talk about an end time to earth as well. But I believe the first of more importance than the later.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I agree with you. The faith thing, well, your on your own. I can't go there, sorry.

The Bible and the story of Christ is all a metaphysical representation of the human condition. Like Tarot cards everybody experienced every card in their lives. Everyone is the fool, everone experiences bondage and dillusion and everyone is resurrected through sacrifice. We are all "sons of God."

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I agree with you. The faith thing, well, your on your own. I can't go there, sorry.

The Bible and the story of Christ is all a metaphysical representation of the human condition. Like Tarot cards everybody experienced every card in their lives. Everyone is the fool, everone experiences bondage and dillusion and everyone is resurrected through sacrifice. We are all "sons of God."

Im sorry to hear that about the faith but you should know I would say that. I think religion can push someone so far from the truth that its hard to know what the bible says. Some people read it and still dont hear the word. If you have not i sugest you read it with an open mind.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

There is a new book written by Gary Stearman called "Time Travelers of the Bible" Havent read it yet, but looks pretty awesome. www.prophecyinthenews.com...

WOW! That looks like a cool book. Bump

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
Organized Religion is Illumitti run just like everything else in the world. It's foolish to think that they are into everything except religion. All 501-c-3 churches are dens of devils.

Very nicely said. When a church has 501 C3 status, they officially become a government agency. This is the image of the beast referred to in Revelation 13:15. The Vatican/Roman Catholic Church is the home of Antichrist, and is also a church and state in one entity; the Roman Catholic Church and Vatican State proper.

Therefore, all 501 C3 churches are church and state entities, or the image of the beast.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Dear windword,

It said that the Devil attempted to tempt Jesus, it does not say that Jesus felt tempted. There is a difference. It also says that Satan said to Jesus "if you are" the Christ, Satan had permission to test Jesus, it does not say that he knew what he was. Nowhere in the bible does it say that Satan is all knowing, he got Job wrong. Many of the assumptions that we are taught are wrong.

Recently I had been asked to pastor to a very small group of people, very small. The first things that we have discussed is looking at the bible through new eyes, seeing it not from tradition; but, trying to understand the people. The average Christian and non-believer thinks of Moses from the movies, this powerful speaker. In fact, the bible says that he hated public speaking and wanted Aaron to speak for him.

Here is what I am saying. If you really want to know what the bible meant, you have to discard what you have been told, read it for yourself and understand that these were normal people trying to make sense of something pretty beyond understanding as it was happening to them. Moses had a family, most of the people in the bible did, they ate and raised their children, they were not action hero movie characters. Satan is still nothing more than a self aware being. If you want to understand the story, you have to understand that fact. Be well.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
does Jesus not rule most of the world now ? even after death ?

en.wikipedia.org...

according to wiki Christianity is the biggest religion ? all roads do indeed lead to Rome

edit on 19-9-2011 by ShamilAbdullah because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2011 by ShamilAbdullah because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join