Was Jesus Really Tempted by Satan?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
First off let me say that I am NOT a Christain and I'm not trying to pick a fight or insult anybody. I have a question that goes to the charactor of the Biblical representation of Jesus. I am not attacking Jesus, but questioning the logic of the story.

That being said........

I was reading this thread All Roads Lead to Rome which I highly recommend, that ties together brilliantly the not so secret history of the Roman Empire and the Roman Catholic Church, among other things.

When reading about the reign of Constantine and the First Council of Nicaea which is when we see the birth of Christianity and the scriptures cannonized, I started to wonder about something.

Did Satan really tempt Jesus in the desert?

According to the biblical accounts of Mathew, Luke and Mark, Jesus set off on a "vision quest" in the desert and fasted for 40 days, shortly after his babtism by John the Babtist.

During his quest he was tempted by Satan to:

Make bread out of stones to relieve his own hunger

Free himself from a pinnacle by jumping and relying on angels to break his fall. The narrative of both Luke and Matthew has the devil quote Psalm 91:11-12 to show that God had promised this assistance, although the devil implies that the passage may be used to justify presumptuous acts, while the Psalm only promises that God will deliver those who trust and abide in Him.

Worship the devil in return for all the kingdoms of the world. Luke has the devil explicitly claim this authority had previously been handed to himself, the devil.
(Wikipedia)

While I don't have a problem with the symbolism of this story, I have a problem with the "truthiness" of it.

Did Jesus come back, after having been fed by the angels, and tell everyone about his struggle with Satan? Did he go about bragging about his faith in God and that he would not give in to Satan, even though he was sorely tested?

Did he reveal a weakness to his disciples by complaining about the temptation and that nasty Satan? Then bolster himself and his faith by telling the story? The story is not told though the words of Jesus, but by a 3rd party.

It seems out of charactor for Jesus to discuss his conversation with Satan about his relationship with his father. Jesus never said he was tempted by Satan, and I don't think he was!

]
edit on 18-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)
edit on 18-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Its all fictional.

A metaphor to describe the eternal struggle between good and evil.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I believe you.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
When reading about the reign of Constantine and the First Council of Nicaea which is when we see the birth of Christianity and the scriptures cannonized, I started to wonder about something.

I would say this is the start of Catholicism NOT Christianity.

What came first the Christ or the "Church"?
edit on 18-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I don't think the words of Jesus were meant to be taken literally. However organized religion has taken the opportunity to present it as science fact so they could control the masses.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

First off let me say that I am NOT a Christain

firstly.. if you aren't a christian, why are you asking for evidence about a character you don't believe exists?

secondly, if you don't believe, why do you even give a #?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

First off let me say that I am NOT a Christain

firstly.. if you aren't a christian, why are you asking for evidence about a character you don't believe exists?

secondly, if you don't believe, why do you even give a #?

I'm not asking for evidence, but discussing the possibility of the story having been manipulated. I was raised Christian, and while I don't prescribe to the doctrines of Christianity, I do believe in the "Christ" consciousness and value all paths to enlightenment.

I think this story reveals a break in charactor of the biblical representation of this man I believe was a charismatic rabbi that spoke to the masses, who was the son of a carpenter.

Just an observation.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Hey, OP, I really appreciate that there are others who are questioning the NT with this line of reasoning.

It is certainly not all fiction. But some of it is, and although we may never be able to nail it down definitively, it is sure fun to try.

Nice catch on your part. If it is something that is not the words of Jesus, what do you think the party or parties that fabricated it were hoping to stimulate in those that read it?

Thanks.

edit on 18-9-2011 by Frater210 because: bloop

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Colossians 1
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

The temptation of Jesus was a demonstration of the Holy Spirit in man. Jesus was the first image of this new man. To understand this, we must understand what an image means in the Bible. LINK After you read this link, you can see that Jesus, being the Word of creation, is the force (wave) associated with the duality of light. Light is both a particle and a wave. Jesus was God in the form of the image of man. We are in the image created by God, just as I am in the image of ATS speaking to you now. Just being here in this image does not change what is happening to me today or who I am. This is merely a reflection of that image.

Satan's attempt to distort the image is not surprising. The fact that God can create an image that cannot be distorted by Satan is not surprising either.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Ok I am a Christian and a little plug for myself youtube.com... I just made a documentary called Age of Deceit: Fallen Angels and the New World Order...

but to address your point, a couple of things. The scriptures were written and considered inspired prior to the Council of Nicea. This is documented fact. A lot of what people consider Christianity today (zeitgeist claims etc) are all actually the post Constantine paganized version of Christianity. The Roman Catholic Church in essence is a Satanic organization. The dark history of "Christendom" we consider today, are largely due to the Catholic Institution. Christianity was never meant to be institutionalized. But consider this...

Assuming that Satan DID tempt Jesus, these are the implications. One, Satan does have legal authority over the earth. This makes sense with conspiracy theories, and all the Satanism and Luceferianism behind the world elite. Second, if Satan offered Jesus "all the kingdoms of the earth" ya think he might have offered the same thing to the world elite? Just something to think about.

I do think it's literal. I think the bible is full of amazing things about the true nature of reality, dimensions, etc. There are even time travelers in the bible. Consider Elijah...he get's taken out by God, and appears again way later in the book when Jesus was transfigured. Was Elijah transported through time to be a witness to this event? Something to consider.

Anyways, in short, yes, I do believe the temptation account to be true. Whether it was a literal physical experience, or a spiritual (meta-physical) event? I don't know.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Good question. I don't know. Maybe to reinforce the role of Satan.

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that [there is] none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

Or maybe they wanted to re-tell this in a different way. Take out Job and insert Jesus.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

I understand the metaphysical implication of the story and doctrines of Christianty, but I have a hard time believing that God would deliberately set Satan after Jesus. Clearly, according to the book of Job, Satan needs permission.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Organized Religion is Illumitti run just like everything else in the world. It's foolish to think that they are into everything except religion. All 501-c-3 churches are dens of devils.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

this is a hard concept to grasp...Satan is evil and is in rebellion to God. However, God does hold ultimate authority and therefore "allows" the evil that we may experience. But it's in some ways a necessary action to take. We are creatures of will and choice. We are called to be stewards of our reality. This is why the same water that can drown us, quenches our thirst and the fire that can burn us, warms us etc.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

On the surface it seems foolish, if you also believe in the trinity.

Edit to add:

The trinity is the belief that the father, the son and the holy spirit is one and the same, if this is true it would seem like a foolish gesture on the devils part to try to tempt god, or to think he can offer anything of value to god.
edit on 18-9-2011 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

I agree with you. However, there is a difference between institutional organized religion (Christianity), and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It goes hand and hand with Matthew 16:26

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Given the immortal nature of the soul, this would be similar to me giving you $1,000 today in exchange for all the money you make the rest of your life!

Nothing in this short life is worth loosing (selling) your immortal soul and robbing you of your inheritance.
edit on 18-9-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

reply to post by SuperiorEd

I understand the metaphysical implication of the story and doctrines of Christianty, but I have a hard time believing that God would deliberately set Satan after Jesus. Clearly, according to the book of Job, Satan needs permission.

Satan is a temporal being and is not everywhere at once. This is also indicated in Job. He is a fallen angel which makes Him finite. Since Satan can ask God permission, he is asking Jesus permission to tempt himself. We find this in Job when Satan tempts God to destroy Job's children. God used this for a purpose, just as the temptation of Jesus is used for a purpose. The will of God will be done no matter the choices we make. God's providence may appear as a poor choice, but His choice will always give glory to His name and character. His name is His character. When we take the Lord's name in vain, we take His character on without the actions that accompany this character. The story of the temptation is a demonstration of character and the name of God. YHWH is the name of God and it means, literally, "Behold the nail, Behold the hand."

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

Sure and Buddha or Pythagoras didn't exist either...

Socrates, Plato, Aristotle were all made up stories...

All we have is writings saying they existed...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

The word Devil & Satan....means tempter, slanderer in Hebrew. The Greek di‧a′bo‧los means “slanderer.” In Ancient Chinese, the word for Tempter is drawn with two trees in a garden....which perhaps is a throw back to the Eden account and Eve being tempted.

According to the very first book of the Bible in Genesis....Satan turned from being an angel of God to a resistor and slanderer. He called God a liar and told Eve that she "positively would not die" as God had warned as a consequence of disobedience. He questioned the Creator's right to rule mankind.... from thereon the question remained "could mankind rule himself without his Creator?"

For this act God immediately set in motion a plan for mankind to be redeemed from this curse of sin and death given to the first human parents and their offspring. "(Genesis 3:15) . . .And I shall put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed. He will bruise you in the head and you will bruise him in the heel.” That seed eventually became Jesus whose line is traced back to Adam & Eve through the writings of the Bible. To weigh the scales of justice Jesus was created by a seed of God planted in Mary a woman....and he was therefore without human imperfection but created perfect as had our first human parents

As soon as Jesus was baptised his commission was to preach to mankind but also to sacrifice his life.Therefore Jesus would have had to be fully tempted by the Devil & Satan & have remained faithful to God for his sacrifice to pay the price for mankind's sin. A perfect life for a perfect life

Jesus went to the Wilderness to pray & fast..... Satan attacked him when he would have been in a weak state because of fasting for so long. Firstly by tempting him to releive his hunger physically. Eve gave in to Satan's devices.....whereas Jesus remained loyal.

It is interesting that Satan offered Jesus ultimate power over all the kingdoms(governments) of the world ie global domination, if he would just do one act of worship to him. Surely Satan was showing that it was HE that was contolling the world powers otherwise they would not have been his to offer to Jesus, if he didn't own them. Later Satan used these human rulers to put Jesus to death ie "bruise him in the heel" .

It is clear that the Devil taunted God over his triumph with Eve and said that No man would serve God faithfully for nothing... In the account of (Job 1:1) . . ."There happened to be a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man proved to be blameless and upright, and fearing God and turning aside from bad" Satan taunted God & suggested that mankind would only serve their Creator for selfish reasons. (Job 1:9-11) . "At that Satan answered Jehovah and said: “Is it for nothing that Job has feared God? 10 Have not you yourself put up a hedge about him and about his house and about everything that he has all around? The work of his hands you have blessed, and his livestock itself has spread abroad in the earth. 11 But, for a change, thrust out your hand, please, and touch everything he has [and see] whether he will not curse you to your very face.”

We are told that God did indeed allow Satan to take away all Job's blessings & he suffered terribly, yet he remained faithful to God & refused to curse him. Later God protected Job & blessed him even more. As Proverbs 27:11 states . . ."Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me"

That taunter is Satan the Devil...(1 Peter 5:6-10) . . ."Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt YOU in due time; 7 while YOU throw all YOUR anxiety upon him, because he cares for YOU. 8 Keep YOUR senses, be watchful. YOUR adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour [someone]. 9 But take YOUR stand against him, solid in the faith, knowing that the same things in the way of sufferings are being accomplished in the entire association of YOUR brothers in the world. 10 But, after YOU have suffered a little while, the God of all undeserved kindness, who called YOU to his everlasting glory in union with Christ, will himself finish YOUR training, he will make YOU firm, he will make YOU strong"

I would therefore conclude that Jesus account of being tempted by the Devil would like other accounts was indeed accurate because it fulfilled prophecy also...if this and the other accounts were all tosh why would the Apostles & 1st Century Christians be willing to die at the hands of the Romans for simply fairy stories? Some of these would have personally known Jesus &/or his disciples. Josephus & Roman writers attest to many many Christians being cruelly taunted & put to death by their Roman captors without mercy. . Hard to imagine facing that & worse still perhaps watching your family die all because of made up falsehoods!
edit on 18-9-2011 by JB1234 because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join