It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Many Co-Incidences (Atheist to Believer?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
A few things have happened lately in my life which has me questioning my skeptical/negative/pessimistic thoughts:-

It all began with a "health-scare", upon which I:-

1) Quit smoking tobacco

2) Stopped taking drugs (I was a regular "abuser" of marijunana) - I hadn't taken any other drug for a while though.

3) Made more of an effort to spend time with friends and family.

Soon after these changes; various things happened, obviously some were related to my changes but these happenings were rather surprising to me (especially after attempting to quit multiple times before)

1) I became high on life, sober was the new high. Withdrawal wasn't an issue for me.

2) I no longer have cravings for cigarettes, even when someone is standing next to me smoking.

3) 4 Old friends (completely separate groups, and by no link) all contacted me randomly after a long time of no contact.

4) I believe i have fallen in love.

5) I have a new found confidence in myself, I almost feel like a new person, Which is pleasing but disconcerting at the same time...

These suprising happenings have me questioning my pessimistic/skeptical/views.

A quick look at my post history, you can perhaps detect a resentment towards religion, although in most cases I don't regret my words; I have a renewed attitude towards positive belief.

Please feel free to post your stories, or comment on mine.

Peace,

NeverForget.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Mate

Congratulations and well done.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
1st rule in life is family always come first. I come from a sort of broken home but I keep trying to piece everything together. Happy to hear your life is going well, I recently cut down on the amount of tobacco I smoke and I too feel the strong connection to religion forming. I have the health issues and I'm battling depression daily, Every time I feel like I've beat it, It comes back.......

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget
I have a renewed attitude towards positive belief.

If you think you have to believe in god to be positive.

You were never Atheist.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I am an optimistic skeptic personally. I quite enjoy what life has to offer (except for crappy things, but hey, I have more good days than bad days).

As far as feeling good about life, well, thats good of course..just remember that with every peak there is a valley. Enjoy the peaks and expect the valleys overall..nothing is forever (good or bad).

As far as the title, not sure what it means...why does a decision to enjoy life suddenly make you question if some deity is angry that you have sinned or some such? you feeling too good and need some sort of resentful father figure to judge you as coming up short?

Being skeptical is not a cynical or optimistic view on life. you could argue that because you are not religious, that free's you up to enjoy life verses spend all of life worried about death..

I guess I am simply failing to see the connection overall...or maybe there simply is none and your just feeling a bit confused...yes, people have good times in life...enjoy it, why question it? when you break things down, you lose the overall joy sometimes.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Congratulations friend, consider yourself awakened...

I highly recommend you spend more time in "Philosophy and Metaphysics" forums.

That's were the fun is....

And that's were you fine tune your new found reality...

Peace and Love

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
conversely I became an atheist/agnostic and things got better for me.... I gained friends, I got a life and I became happier....

Im not sure I see a connection, your just going through good times...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

Welcome to life. What you are experiencing is the fruit of the spirit. Love, as defined in 1 Corinthians 13, is the positive of life that cancels negative. Finding this love of God only requires a change in the direction of suffering and reward. The smoking and drugs were all a taking of reward. Taking reward always leads to suffering. By removing the actions of taking reward, you changed the direction of reward ending in suffering. Many people live their entire lives without realizing that true reward can only come from suffering first.

Giving to life always leads to reward. Giving requires suffering work and handing over pride. When you stopped taking from life, it returned reward to you as forgiveness of previously created debt. You can recognize this easily by the synchronicity in your life that points to all the positives that are clearly created. I recently wrote an article on this very topic. LINK It's simple mathematics. The universe is designed around supporting and rewarding our giving. The ultimate sacrifice of giving is when we turn our entire being over to God. This allows Him to then shape us by the consuming fire of the flaming sword of truth. The tree of life is protected by the flaming sword (Genesis 3) which is God's shepherding of our lives as we travel the path in the wilderness of life. LINK If God is permitted to shape us, we find love for God. This is the union of the spirit with God that bears fruit in the higher realms of the tree of life.

It is refreshing to hear your story. I walked in the shadow of doubt for most of my life. After finding a willingness to give it to God, I was able to find a new life of peace and joy. Truth is revealed when pride is removed and our faith become fact. The more we open ourselves up to God's opportunity and gift of salvation, the more it becomes available to us. LINK

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

A few things have happened lately in my life which has me questioning my skeptical/negative/pessimistic thoughts:-

It all began with a "health-scare", upon which I:-

1) Quit smoking tobacco

2) Stopped taking drugs (I was a regular "abuser" of marijunana) - I hadn't taken any other drug for a while though.

3) Made more of an effort to spend time with friends and family.

Soon after these changes; various things happened, obviously some were related to my changes but these happenings were rather surprising to me (especially after attempting to quit multiple times before)

1) I became high on life, sober was the new high. Withdrawal wasn't an issue for me.

2) I no longer have cravings for cigarettes, even when someone is standing next to me smoking.

3) 4 Old friends (completely separate groups, and by no link) all contacted me randomly after a long time of no contact.

4) I believe i have fallen in love.

5) I have a new found confidence in myself, I almost feel like a new person, Which is pleasing but disconcerting at the same time...

These suprising happenings have me questioning my pessimistic/skeptical/views.

A quick look at my post history, you can perhaps detect a resentment towards religion, although in most cases I don't regret my words; I have a renewed attitude towards positive belief.

Please feel free to post your stories, or comment on mine.

Peace,

NeverForget.

Well done! I think number 2 was the turn around you needed, all of the others are a result of that 1achievement.

All the best for your future.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Congratulations!

The obvious 'clincher' in this series of events, was the health scare.
From my reading of what you've described, you have been 'forced' (instrument-health scare), to ACT, and not be a D.Thomas...and, as a consequence, have noticed how a thought can alter your reality. A thought brought about by a dire situation, but a thought, nonetheless, which caused you to act...the rest is for you to rationalise...or not...

As you will find out, there will be those who will put your particular series of events down to any number of things...the camp from which you came will mount all the same arguments you may have mounted yourself...a feeling is unphotographable, and a personal 'change' is not up to you to rationalise to those who have not experienced it...

Good luck
Beware of hyenas!

Akushla

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I have a renewed attitude towards positive belief.

I am truly happy for you mate.
All you have to do right now, is to hold on at this positive belief. But remember life has it´s ups and downs. And when you feel down just hold on, to the positive belief, and you will be alright.

Peace

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Skeptical, negative and pessimistic thoughts do not make a person an atheist. I'm a very happy and positive atheist with fantastic personal and familial relationships... I eat right, exercise and take care of myself emotionally and physically... That doesn't have anything to do with a deity. It's how I choose to live my life.

Yeah, I don't get the connection either...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Not wanting to derogate Benevolent's (as usual) sensible comments, I could offer the alternative of permanently becoming a secular pastafarian to search the hidden patterns in existence.

It's exoterically a very new religion (while it secretly is the oldest one on this planet), so a lot of doctrines have to be written and/or invented, which implies a lot of ideological freedom. And also fame: What about having one's own doctrine (by name) hanging around for the next few thousand of years.

And we pastafarians have a lot of fun, it's not some soured 'we are persecuted'-religion. I laughed for a long time, when I first put on my spaghetti-strainer as the ritualistic part of my conversion.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I think it's absolutely great that you've made a connection. One of the greatest things Jesus taught is how the power of not only thought, but our speech as well aides in molding our reality. Though you cannot know what God is molding you to be you can know, that he doesn't make mistakes and he will now build upon this new gift of faith.

Your relationship with him is a personal affair. He has cracked open the door and using his foot to hold it open, while you determine if you are now ready to get to know him. He wants you to know, that he has always known you, but he wants you to perceive him. It's up to you to make the next move. Next time you shower, as you wash the outside of your body, tell him, 'Okay. This is for you. I will make the outside clean and I'm going to trust you, and let you do the things you promised.'

Then, every day set aside your God time. It can be when you are having your morning coffee, your drive to work or even your closing thoughts as you drift off to sleep for the night. You are now seeking truth and he will proove to you he is all that he has claimed. Keep your frame of mind, to that of child. A child just goes with the flow. The best analogy I can give is how when we were children and we were waiting on Santa; fearful yet excited and eager to know.

Yet this is the real deal. Things of the spirit are scary because we don't know or quite understand how it transcends matter. But he is the teacher, and he will do mind blowing things if you will just put your trust in him.

The ball is in your court. Peace.
edit on 19-9-2011 by Myrtales Instinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You can consciously control some of your outlook on life. Even plant a little seed of goodness and it'll grow. Spend time with your family, probably try to be more outgoing in other aspects. Quit smoking, but have more distractions, and be more assertive that you don't have to struggle with it. While I don't think Weed is always a problem, frequent smoking does affect your brain's psyche and chemical balance, it can affect you greatly if it was having hidden effects.

Stuff like falling in love, tends to happen more often when people are happier, more outgoing. Ect, ect.

~
Basically, a lot of things change, some because of your doing, some coincidence. I don't see the jump to religious, or how that'd lead to any specific religion. Unless your leaving something out. Do you feel like a certain god's hand's being played into it or anything?

I'm not one to argue about subjective experiences, your the one who ultimately is dealing with this, but I don't see how that could lead to one specific belief. As someone else said, happiness and religion are two very different topics. I managed to pull my life together rather well, and get through things outside of my control, without ever thinking a deity was doing it for me.

I'll also add, I don't think the "want to believe" argument means anything regarding what's truely factual either way, so take this with a grain of salt. But, do you need to give credit to a god figure? Can't you just feel empowered, and embrace that you steer the ship of your life, and steer it in the best way for you? As far as outlooks, I don't think trusting a deity to do it for you is the most effective way to keep the good streak going.

~
Again, It's your experience, your belief, and I hope you're lead to whatever's best for you. Glad to hear your doing good. I'm just throwing my thoughts out to help you figure out where you want to go from here.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Believer in what?

www.godchecker.com...

Pick any random fictional deity from the GIGANTICALLY HUGE list that ranks in the multiple thousands. Then come back and tell us which one you chose.

Might I suggest one for you? They have a "GOTD God of the Day" that is pretty decent today.

"CAI-SHEN
Also known as TS'AI SHEN, ZHAO-XUANTAN, CHAO-HSUAN-T'AN, ZHAO-GONGMING
God of Prosperity and Profit.

He's the Heavenly Treasurer-in-Chief and God of Wealth, having been elevated to Godly status after a spot of mountain meditation.

Once a mortal general named Zhao who fought for the Emperor Zhou ( ZHOU-WANG), he rode a black tiger into battle and was armed with exploding pearls.

Fat and cheerful, CAI-SHEN still rides his black tiger and wields a rod of iron. His Godly Accountant is a dab hand with diamonds and pearls, and putting an image of him in your home will do your bank balance no end of good."

edit on 19-9-2011 by idonotcollectstamps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Thanks everyone, apologies for taking time to respond. I’m sure you can understand as per the OP.

reply to post by myselfaswell

Thanks, really appreciate it.

reply to post by Serizawa

I’m really sorry to hear about your depression. Not that I’m one to hand out advice but concentrate on something you love; whether it be your family, music or a hobby. Music certainly helped me immensely.

Good luck and thanks for the kind comments.

reply to post by Annee

You were never Atheist.

When I say “believer” – I don’t mean in regards to a Deity. But I certainly dropped the pessimistic, certainly the nihilistic thoughts.

Like I said in the above reply, I needed a “focus”. Co-incidences happen all the time I guess. But I guess I just needed something to believe in again….love.

reply to post by SaturnFX

As far as feeling good about life, well, thats good of course..just remember that with every peak there is a valley. Enjoy the peaks and expect the valleys overall..nothing is forever (good or bad).

I have never been one for karma. For the self-reflective, emotional karma seems rather apparent. Thanks for your comments, they’re all helping me.

Again, “Believer” refers to my escape from nihilism (see the above reply) Perhaps the title was misleading.

reply to post by InnerPeace2012

Thanks, and nice avatar!

reply to post by Versa

conversely I became an atheist/agnostic and things got better for me.... I gained friends, I got a life and I became happier....

Im not sure I see a connection, your just going through good times...]

I can relate to you. I, myself, am agnostic, and thus atheist. If anything, that realisation made me more empathetic, more understanding, and deeper. Thanks for your comments. I became a nihilist for a while, now I have something to believe in, if not a deity.

I'll try and find the time to catch up with the rest of you guys later.

Thanks agani for all your kind comments, and questions. Talking and sharing is the key!.

NeverForget.
edit on 21/9/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

You were never Atheist.

When I say “believer” – I don’t mean in regards to a Deity. But I certainly dropped the pessimistic, certainly the nihilistic thoughts.

Like I said in the above reply, I needed a “focus”. Co-incidences happen all the time I guess. But I guess I just needed something to believe in again….love.

But Atheist only means lack of belief in a deity. It doesn't mean anything else.

Anything else would be personal choice.

I support everything is energy and positive/negative energy affects the whole of everything.

Therefore - - integrity and contribution to mankind/earth is essential. But I'm still Atheist - because I lack belief in a deity.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

You were never Atheist.

That's like saying, "From cancer survivor, to republican". Not believing in a deity, keeps you as an atheist. Switching party affinity doesn't change that you survived cancer.

Atheists do have beliefs, just not in a deity. I believe in the power of love, from a natural and psychological standpoint. That doesn't make me a theist. I believe in many non-religious topics, such as human rights and the value of hard work. I don't personally belief in any supernatural or paranormal topics, but even if I did it wouldn't reflect on my belief regarding gods.

If you thought being pessimistic or nihilistic had anything to do with atheism, you've been mislead, as many groups do try to mislead with those false facts.

Are you aiming to say you now believe in some supernatural force generated by love, that can help influence things for the better? That'd be a completely different topic, unrelated to "Atheist" or "Believer". I could contribute what I think on that standpoint in that case.

~
Ultimately, this isn't a religious topic, at least not that you've shown. While I am certainly glad things have been going good for you, and I don't mind the anecdote here, I kind of fail to see the point being generated.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
If you thought being pessimistic or nihilistic had anything to do with atheism, you've been mislead, as many groups do try to mislead with those false facts.
~
Ultimately, this isn't a religious topic, at least not that you've shown. While I am certainly glad things have been going good for you, and I don't mind the anecdote here, I kind of fail to see the point being generated.

Very well said. I agree completely. Associating atheism with pessimism, cynicism and other 'negative' positions and emotions only serves to cloud the issue. Becoming a positive person with a belief in the power of love, wonder and beauty cannot be exclusively attributed to belief in a deity. There are millions of happy atheists.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join