It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Britain so ready to risk all for the USA?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Terrorism is only a major threat to us (Again, after the IRA) since we jumped into bed with President Shrub

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
There is also the historical links, but relationships since lend lease in WWII have been maintained for the good of both, Britain needs an allie willing to help out, and America needs a foothold into Europe and Britain to remain the largest aircraft carrier in its fleet.

Besides, The US are really our younger cousins, and we all know how useful they are to have around, even if now and then you need to give them a bit of advice based on experiences they havnt had yet.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Britain so ready to risk all?

I assume you think that Britain is putting itself at risk from terror groups because of supporting US policies? If so, I guess you think there would be no terror in Britain otherwise. Er, ever heard of the IRA? Also I believe France has tried to distance itself from US policies with little positive result.

OK so the US makes some of the worst television shows ever, and could learn a few things about making cars from european car makers, but hey aren't they very similar to British people really? You know, color, language, religion, family values, democracy, etc ?

As a Briton, there have been many times when I've wished for a US-style police force. Like when watching deliberately provocative political rallies and hatred demonstrations, and all the British police can do is stand there for hours like complete lemons instead sorting it out.

The US isn't perfect, but I can think of other nations that I definitely would not like to see acting as 'world policeman'.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I assume you think that Britain is putting itself at risk from terror groups because of supporting US policies? If so, I guess you think there would be no terror in Britain otherwise. Er, ever heard of the IRA? Also I believe France has tried to distance itself from US policies with little positive result.

Er...ever heard of the peace process??? When was the last time a Terrorist act was committed in the UK? Since we have firmly placed ourselves so far up Americas arse, you can see us when they open their mouths, we have become a target of Islamic extremism. Prior to 9/11, all the Islamic extremists wanted to do was attack America...now all Americas allies are fair game too. We only get away with it because our security services are better at anti-terrorism.

OK so the US makes some of the worst television shows ever, and could learn a few things about making cars from european car makers, but hey aren't they very similar to British people really? You know, color, language, religion, family values, democracy, etc ?

Fair enough, we share some values, but we are NOT the same. We are more informed of world events, less arrogant, our democracy is an actual Democracy not a rich boys popularity contest. I think you describing things such as colour though shows a racist overtone, as many Americans and Britons are from a variety of backgrounds, and we are not all the same "colour" or "religion"..especially when you compare the amount of right wing christian bigots in the US, and then look at how many are here......

As a Briton, there have been many times when I've wished for a US-style police force. Like when watching deliberately provocative political rallies and hatred demonstrations, and all the British police can do is stand there for hours like complete lemons instead sorting it out.

Dude, wtf are you on? You want heavy handed policing, shootings, and all the other bollocks that comes with the american police? Might want to brush up on how exactly they do things over there! America has many more things banned, and many more things you can go to jail for than over here, count your lucky stars we DONT have an american style police force.
Our police stand there like "lemons" because everyone has the right to protest, freedom of speech etc... the BNP can march, why cannot some black power group..there are laws governing what can be said and done, and if the line is crossed, then the police will t ake action.

That my friend is freedom and democracy...not being arrested and shoved in an oil soaked, filthy warehouse, just because you dont like your president!

[edit on 10-9-2004 by stumason]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join