It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Green Bean Casserole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I absolutely LOVE green bean casserole. I have been known to make it and eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I add a few extra things to it compared to the traditional version, but it's still yummy!

**I will add the pic when the media issue is resolved and I can load the pic

Mblah's Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

2 cans (14.5 ounce) cut green beans (I usually use 4 cups fresh cut steamed green beans but they never have fresh here for some reason)
1 1/2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2/3 milk
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cans (not the small size the next size up) French's French Fried Onions

Directions

Mix soup, milk, cheese and sour cream in a bowl. Add pepper. Then add green beans, mushrooms and ONE can of the french fried onions. Mix well. Pour into a 9 inch pie dish, sprinkle with some french friend onions then bake for 30mins at 350F.

I make mine very different than the traditional way. I love mushrooms, cheese and sour cream and will put them in anything! I also use an entire can of french fried onions. If you do not like to use that much (some say they are too mushy) just use a cup instead of the whole can.

Enjoy!

Will add pics later

edit on 9/18/2011 by mblahnikluver because: spelling

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Mmmmmmmm...

sounds wonderful...

Thanks Mblah......

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
i will make this! sounds delicious! thanks a ton

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Worldablaze420
i will make this! sounds delicious! thanks a ton

No problem
and thanks

If you like to cook I have many other recipes in this forum and I have a cooking blog linked in my signature that has all the recipes

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Everyone at my house loves it too and I make mine very very similarly to yours. Here is my recipe.

4-5 cups fresh green beans or frozen if I can't get fresh. Never can, they get mushy too fast.
2-3 cups homemade cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbs oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp tabasco
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 large cans French's French Fried Onions

Saute onion and mushrooms in oil till onion is translucent. Add in soup, milk,sour cream,1 cup cheese, pepper, tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, 1 can fried onions and heat through. Then add green beans, top with last cup of cheese and the last can of fried onions. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Ohhh that sounds good too!

I think green bean casserole is one of those dishes you can really make your own!

The batch I just made is half way gone already lol I doubt it will make it thru tomorrow!

thanks for your recipe!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Your recipe sounds delicious! I would like to post a more diabetic friendly version that has taken our household by storm. It is very different to the tastes of what one expects from green bean casserole, but delicious unto itself! It's very good even for non-diabetics!

2 lge cans french cut green beans, drained
1 block Philadelphia cream cheese, softened to room temp
2 lge eggs, room temp
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, may add more to your taste
salt and pepper to taste

Put cream cheese into mixing bowl, add eggs and combine till well mixed. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, mixing well. Add drained green beans, salt and pepper to taste and mix gently. Pour into a casserole sprayed with Pam or your favorite non-stick spray, and top with remaining cup of shredded cheddar. Bake at 350 until cheese on top is golden and beginning to brown. When done baking, remove from oven and allow to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.

I do add more cheese than the recipe calls for, but we are huge cheese addicts in this house! I tend to nearly double it, so if you love the cheese, get happy with it!

The cream cheese adds a certain tartness to the flavor we love, and the eggs make it fluffy, more akin to a squash casserole. In fact, I make my squash casserole in almost the exact way, but replace the cream cheese with Mayonnaise, instead!

I miss the old fashioned casserole, like in your recipe, but this makes a suitable replacement for diabetics. We are always thinking up "frankenfoods", and have done an amazing job at it!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

This actually sounds good and I have a few friends who will like this recipe since its diabetic friendly.

I love cheese and always put more than I suggest in my recipes.

I like the cream cheese in it, that sounds very interesting and well it being part of the cheese family I love it.

I will have to try this one around the holidays. It's easy enough to make both for a party!

If you have more recipes that are diabetic friendly you should post them in the cooking forum. I know many members would like that since they ask me to post versions of my recipes in diabetic form but since I'm not diabetic I don't make them that way. I wouldn't even begin to know how to cook for someone who is diabetic. I would like to learn some recipes for friends and family if you have any good suggestions

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I actually had never even heard of green bean casserole until after I met my now husband. His family is from North Dakota.. land of the hot dish/casserole! LOL My family is from Texas so most of the stuff they eat up north we wouldn't even consider eating and visa versa I'm sure. But I did like the green bean casserole made my way. I didn't much care for it the way his family made it because it was mush between the fried onions, too much milk and can green beans.

Speaking of diabetic recipes, I have quite a few of those since my dad is diabetic. I didn't even realize there was a cooking forum here, I'm going to have to start posting. I have at another site a huge post of crockpot/slow cooker recipes. About 30 pages worth of them to be more precise. LOL I'll have to post a bunch of those.

By the way, I forgot to introduce myself before jumping into your post here. My name is Jodi! I'm in Colorado.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
I actually had never even heard of green bean casserole until after I met my now husband. His family is from North Dakota.. land of the hot dish/casserole! LOL My family is from Texas so most of the stuff they eat up north we wouldn't even consider eating and visa versa I'm sure. But I did like the green bean casserole made my way. I didn't much care for it the way his family made it because it was mush between the fried onions, too much milk and can green beans.

Speaking of diabetic recipes, I have quite a few of those since my dad is diabetic. I didn't even realize there was a cooking forum here, I'm going to have to start posting. I have at another site a huge post of crockpot/slow cooker recipes. About 30 pages worth of them to be more precise. LOL I'll have to post a bunch of those.

By the way, I forgot to introduce myself before jumping into your post here. My name is Jodi! I'm in Colorado.

Yea many people dont like the casserole with all the french fried onions because its soggy, me I love it! LOL

You can also substitute half the milk with sour cream instead

You should post them! This is my favorite forum on the non conspiracy side. I am always posting in it!

Hello and nice to meet you too btw
I'm mblah and I live in Florida on the Space Coast, just call me a space cadet lol

Looking forward to your recipes! I am slowing putting together an ATS cookbook, all on my own time and nothing to do with ATS but i think it would be something cool to have. I will change all the names of recipes to conspiracy related titles and when I finish it I will make it available online for free of course and it will be posted in the cooking forum as well....That will take some time to finish since Im making my own cookbook as well lol

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Mmmmmmm! Sounds yummy MBlah! .. How about your Green Eggs & Ham Recipe?

IRM

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Mmmmmmm! Sounds yummy MBlah! .. How about your Green Eggs & Ham Recipe?

IRM

I shall have to do this for St Patty's Day next month
hehe.

new topics

top topics

join