It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's driving China's economy? Could it be their empty cities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Could China's economy be being driven by false demand? This video is an update to China's empty city of Ordos. I just have to wonder - what if the Chinese economy is being largely driven by government funding of these empty cities? Eventually, although not in the several years since they began building them, this will have to fail, right? What happens then? People are using this empty city as an investment hoping that people will eventually move there and buy these properties from them.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Yes, the more they build the more jobs they have for people, that's why those houses are there. They're not intending to put people in them, just to bring more jobs to country.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

i wouldnt begin to understand how a deserted city/s could drive an economy.. common sense would say its a big waste of money.. buildings, infrastructure, etc, for a place that will never be used? I dont know.. if anything it would seem that it would create a false sense of supply not demand

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingbreaker

i wouldnt begin to understand how a deserted city/s could drive an economy.. common sense would say its a big waste of money.. buildings, infrastructure, etc, for a place that will never be used? I dont know.. if anything it would seem that it would create a false sense of supply not demand

Maybe the supply and demand we are familiar with (world economics) is false. Most work is done by robot nowadays anyway.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

How they do it in a state controlled economy. If you build it they will come. Maybe the rent is too high? Maybe nobody is watching the commercial.

I do know that the completion of the Three Gorges Damn project is supposed to usher in a "New Era" of Industrial and Cultural Enterprise. The dam produces far more electricity for China now. So people have a desire for the bobbles and bling of the modern world, like DVD's, Computers, and Microwave ovens. They have to go to work to earn the money to buy these things, so they can plug them in the wall in their new apartment and use them. Then they can compete with their neighbors as to who has the shiniest newest thingy.

Maybe the government is a little ahead of the eight ball, but I imagine the people will eventually get the new Capitalism / Exploitation sell, settle into the routine and be happy ever after.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Could China's economy be being driven by false demand?

The demand is real, if you watch this clip and others like it the really strange thing about these ghost towns they've built is that the units ARE selling. But the people that are buying the units are buying them as an investment, because they are afraid to put their money into savings accounts and they are afraid to invest in stocks because they don't trust the government. So instead they invest in real estate under the mistaken assumption that it's a safe investment that will always increase in value, a lesson that Americans have recently learned is foolish. It's a strange thing because the people who are investing in this high end real estate are just regular people that live in modest accomodations. The uber-rich class that they imagine will some day sweep in to buy their investment properties is never going to materialize. Some day they will realize this and that huge high-end real estate bubble is going to burst in spectacular fashion. But until then, the government banks are happy to keep bankrolling the projects.

. I just have to wonder - what if the Chinese economy is being largely driven by government funding of these empty cities?

The government is just bankrolling the speculation, it's the private investors that are driving the demand though. It is artifically inflating China's GDP, so when the bubble bursts it is going to hurt the private investors and China's GDP both. A drop in GDP will of course mean a drop in employment, and China has such a staggering population that any drop in employment will be catastrophic. It won't be pretty.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section69

Originally posted by Kingbreaker

Maybe the supply and demand we are familiar with (world economics) is false. Most work is done by robot nowadays anyway.

I think You're right. I think it IS a false structure. Since all money represents is meaningful energy expended, adding the plenum ("dark"/Zero Point/"vacuum"/Radiant/Orgone/...) energy will make money moot. Since We can build a robot for any job no One wants to do, We don't need Human energy in the system. And so... We don't need to enslave Our fellow Humans. We can break free merely by releasing electrogravitics from black ops.

More:

The End of Entropy - the foundation - read first

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform - the structure

Here's a simple schematic for drawing on the plenum ("dark"/Zero Point/"vacuum"/Radiant/Orgone/...) energy:

The Abundance Paradigm:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

China looks like it's using the workers because They have no other work and unemployed make an economy look bad...
edit on 9/18/2011 by Amaterasu because: clarity

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Ridiculus...in africa they don't have water, here... this will not end, in a pretty way...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Ridiculus...in africa they don't have water, here... this will not end, in a pretty way...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

"What's driving China's economy?"

A good portion of their economy is driven by massive consumption of the goods exported on a daily basis. Long ago in America our goods were stamped Made in U.S.A.. That went away long ago. Coast to coast were are blessed/cursed with Wal-Morts and $1.00 Stores with low quality goods Made in China.

China's visionaries did not undertake the construction of new housing and buildings on a whim. I'm confident they thought long and hard before the first ground was broken. They have terribly over-populated areas with old, poorly built construction. Utility poles in some places are a serpent's den of wires added on year after year that are dangerous and difficult to work with or around. The day will come when large areas are emptied of population and their citizens will move into the wonderful new areas.

Then the old dilapidated real estate will be mowed clear and construction will bloom once more. China will stand tall and proud in front of the world, their accomplishments for all to see.

That's my opinion only; I know nothing.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
The uber-rich class that they imagine will some day sweep in to buy their investment properties is never going to materialize. Some day they will realize this and that huge high-end real estate bubble is going to burst in spectacular fashion. But until then, the government banks are happy to keep bankrolling the projects.

This is the concern I tried to articulate in the OP. This is exactly the same thing we did here in the U.S. and we all know how that turned out. Yet the Chinese still invest in this? What happens when the Chinese citizen needs to liquidate and can't?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
The day will come when large areas are emptied of population and their citizens will move into the wonderful new areas.

Why haven't they moved yet then? The people living in the living conditions you described would never be able to afford the new city's housing. Who are they building these for then?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Perhaps the Chinese anticipate a mass exodus from the west.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
The day will come when large areas are emptied of population and their citizens will move into the wonderful new areas.

Why haven't they moved yet then? The people living in the living conditions you described would never be able to afford the new city's housing. Who are they building these for then?

The people living in the overpopulated areas earn income. Many are college educated. Some are shopkeepers. These are thriving, bustling communities. Just an idea: perhaps those overseeing the project have mapped out areas as part of the relocation project. Maybe there are 6 areas on the map grid; maybe 24, who knows. We do know each area has a vast population. To accommodate a vast populations needs there must be a large amount of housing, stores, restaurants, warehouses, office space etcetera. By making certain each detail has been addressed ahead of time a section of population can be relocated and both housing and employment is ensured.

As for cost of housing, it seems logical that there exists a portion of population that is similar to middle class, upper middle class and so on. While many in America buy houses, people in other countries (for example, the cities of the Ukraine in Europe) most people enjoy low-cost rent subsidized flats - large, all inclusive apartments equipped with all the modern goodies, which includes utilities all at one affordable price. Perhaps the new housing in China will be available on a similar basis. The bank or investors or government retains ownership of buildings and property.

This is just a guess / speculation, I have no clue what is taking place.

top topics

join