It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin orbital diagram altered by NASA? Could the BIG Doom date be 3 days early?!?!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

So that's interesting, it appears we can see the moon from Earth within 24 hours of the new moon, and it seems like we can just barely detect it within 5 degrees. Now that's the moon, which would probably reflect a lot more light that a small comet's diffused coma debris correct?

I wonder, what is the closest angle from the sun we could observe a comet from when it's moving through perihelion, between the Earth and the sun. Would you guess no less than 25 degrees perhaps? So I wonder how long Elenin has been within 25 degrees of the sun from our perspective for? Maybe due to the eccentricity of it's orbit, it hasn't really been visible from Earth since it appeared to start breaking up.
edit on 19/9/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

It's not just the dimming that indicates it's breaking up. While that was the initial indicator, we have further seen an elongation of the coma, which would be expected if it were breaking up. We also have a number of different reports stating that the comet isn't producing any water vapor. That right there show be enough for people to accept that it has broken up. Could the dimming be a product due to its proximity to the Sun? Sure, but that doesn't explain the other observations that have been made indicating that it's breaking up.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by Darce

It's not just the dimming that indicates it's breaking up. While that was the initial indicator, we have further seen an elongation of the coma, which would be expected if it were breaking up. We also have a number of different reports stating that the comet isn't producing any water vapor. That right there show be enough for people to accept that it has broken up. Could the dimming be a product due to its proximity to the Sun? Sure, but that doesn't explain the other observations that have been made indicating that it's breaking up.

Why would it be breaking up ? Where would the water vapor come from? Iron doesn't have water vapor .

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ViP3r

A comet contains frozen water among other frozen substances. When the comet outgasses this water is released as water vapor. In previous studies of Elenin's coma it contained water vapor. Now it doesn't. This is a strong indicator that it has broken up. As for why it broke up, people say it was due to it being hit by a CME, but I can't say 100% that's the reason. However, it is not rare for long-period comets to break up. Examples of this include Comet Ikeya-Seki and Comet West.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I guess will all have to wait and see what Elenin is really made of .Hopefully a good portion of it isn't made of iron .

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ViP3r

Why? Why would it matter if it were 100% iron?
Even if it were it won't get any closer than 23 million miles to Earth.

edit on 9/19/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ViP3r

It's made of kryptonite - we are all doomed!!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The 11,800 year orbit is interesting.
Apparently at the last time it came by it was a lot bigger and was indeed and extinction level event.
I have this book.
www.knowledge.co.uk...

Compelling Evidence of A Catastrophic World Change 9,500 BC
(c) 1995 by By D S Allan and J B Delair. 386pp.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Republished in 1997 as
"Cataclysm : Compelling Evidence of a Cosmic Catastrophe in 9500 B. C."

"When the Earth Nearly Died carefully documents the fascinating story - which has never been told before in such detail - of how this Golden Age of peaceful conditions and equable climates ended traumatically in a tremendous catastrophe about 11,500 years ago. This was part of a cataclysm which disturbed the whole solar system, destroyed at least one sizable planet and its satellite, and also severely devastated Mars and Earth.

Among the fundamental geophysical effects experienced by Earth were a massive fracturing of the crust, a realignment of Earth's axis, elevation of new mountains, and widespread rearrangement of land and sea. These changes were accompanied by an appalling global conflagration, a gigantic flood, and what has been described as 'collapsed sky' conditions. A bombardment by debris from the disintegrated satellite of the destroyed planet added to the worldwide chaos."

Read the longer article for more info.

What purpose would it serve for us to be warned?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

That's interesting, but I agree with the other poster, what if this comet isn't just a dirty snowball? I think we'll just have to wait and see what happens now because it's too close to the sun to tell what's going on with it anymore. Right?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So Phage respectfully, that whole thread is supposed to be about -somebody- fudging the numbers intentionally.

Can you please explain to me why that would be impossible? Have you read the news about your executive branch heading to Denver for the week when Elenin would impact us?
edit on 19/9/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

reply to post by ViP3r

I will state first that i said, I BELIEVE. This elenin is orbiting this phenomina along with other bodies. This is what i think. www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Can you please explain to me why that would be impossible? Have you read the news about your executive branch heading to Denver for the week when Elenin would impact us?

No, no I haven't seen any news about a weeklong stay in Denver. Maybe you can point me to a link.
But I have heard about the three day visit to three western states. The President will be in Seattle and San Francisco on the 25th, southern California on the 26th and Denver on the 27th.

A White House official confirmed this morning that Obama will visit the Seattle area and the Bay Area on September 25. The following day, the President will visit the Bay Area, the San Diego area and the Los Angeles area, where he's planning to star at two entertainment-related fundraisers, according to the Hollywood Reporter. He'll head to Denver on September 27, a White House official said.

www.sfgate.com...

The orbital calculations for Elenin have not change substantially since February. Elenin will not "impact" us.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ViP3r

What evidence do you have that any of the comet is made of iron?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

not only the bees know somthing is up, but so do the birds and other animals. see why. www.youtube.com... maybe they know.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Why do you think that the comet can't be tracked?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by signwearer
"It broke up" seems kind of convenient, no? The fact is 99.9% of people cannot see Elenin, or anything in space very well. We rely on NASA and other government agencies to tell us the truth.

Again, if a "Deep Impact" situation were to happen, they WOULD NOT warn us, period.

Who is this "they" that you speak of? everyone with a telescope and some basic knowledge of astronomy?...

Guess there is a whole lot of "theys" out there (including myself).

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Elenin is coming no where near the Earth. It won't even be a close comet.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

reply to post by ViP3r

If it is breaking up and we pass through the debris left in our path it could hurt.
I'm thinking that you said something close to that before it broke up.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Not I.
We will not pass through Elenin's track.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join