It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

``El Hierro´´ Canary Islands-possible atlantic tsunami in case of eruption

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Apparently there have been over 6000 minor quakes observed on the island ´´El Hierro ´´ one of the smaller Canary Islands, situated about 200 miles of the coast of northwest africa.
Sorry, I am basically a computer idiot so I have only been able to copy the link below.
The last confirmed eruption about 1500 years ago caused a 100 meter high tsunami, so it might be a good idea to wax your surfboards or keep an eye out for higher ground if you live anywhere on the atlantic or caribbean seaboard..!
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...
edit on Sun Sep 18 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: spelling in title and added link

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There is no evidence of a Canary Islands eruption producing a 100 meter tsunami.

The last eruption of a Canary Islands volcano was in 1971.
www.volcanolive.com...

El Hierro last erupted 200 years ago.
www.elhierro.com...

The claim is that a mega-tsunami could be created by a landslide on La Palma island, not El Hierro. The claim is disputed. www.lapalma-tsunami.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
There is no evidence of a Canary Islands eruption producing a 100 meter tsunami.

www.volcanolive.com...

www.elhierro.com...

The claim is that a mega-tsunami could be created by a landslide on La Palma island, not El Hierro. The claim is disputed. www.lapalma-tsunami.com...

Lol, you read too much. `
, 'at a boy

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I live in arkansas, so i'm far away from any coast lines. Only tsunami i'll ever be worried about will be the one generated when the Antartica ice sheet slides nto the ocean. If that booger ever slides into the ocean, i'm on my way to Denver, Colorado as soon as i get wind of it.
edit on 18-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

www.volcanolive.com...

www.elhierro.com...

soory it was a long time ago but it did apparently happen...
The vast majority of the tremors have been recorded in the northwest of the 278.5-square-kilometre island at El Golfo, the location of a massive landslide that created a 100-metre high tsunami almost 50,000 years ago

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by survivalsurfer

Any source for that?
I mean from geologists.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Any source for that?
I mean from geologists.

Check out the link I badly placed ( wish I could afford a personal assistant...)
www.theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...;

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

So no source then. That's ok, I found one:
Slope failures on the flanks of the western Canary Islands

No evidence for tsunamis associated with known landslides has been discovered to date

geomar.geo.ub.es...

edit on 9/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Irish Weather on line does a nice job on things.

www.irishweatheronline.com...

By the way Phage does this count?

en.mercopress.com...

Or you could add this one to your reference list

Suboceanic Landslides (PDF)
edit on 18/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I don't see any evidence of tsunami resulting from Canary Island landslides presented in those links.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I was hopeing that if it did happen someone would forget to tell congress.

They would probably wonder why everyone was leaving town.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I did not say it was supporting the theory.

I am on your side on this one my friend.

Ah this is the one I was looking for

www.drgeorgepc.com...
edit on 18/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The
most recent large landslide in the Canaries was
probably the El Golfo failure on El Hierro, which
occurred at about 15 ka
I have had a look in several sources and they seem unanimous only in that there has been large
tsunami activity as a result of the collapse of El Golfo which is a flank of El Hierro Island,the supposed time
of the occurances varies from 2000 years ago to 150,000,evidence points to several mega tsunamis in the
last 1,000,000 years

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

During seismic tremors some 50,000 years ago, a giant piece of the island cracked off, crashed into the ocean and caused a giant tsunami that most likely rose more than 330 feet (100 m) high and probably reached as far as the American coast. About a half a million years ago, the volcano, Taburiente, collapsed with a giant landslide. In a BBC Horizon program broadcast on 12 Oct 2000, geologists hypothesised that a during a future eruption a similar landslide could potentially generate a “megatsunami” some 2000-3000 ft (650–900 m) high in the region of the islands. The huge wave would radiate out across the Atlantic and inundate the eastern seaboard of North America including the American, Caribbean and northern coasts of South America a mere six to eight hours later.

Worries of Mega-Tsunami ! 720 Earthquakes On El Hierro In One Week

Sometimes, when someone responds immediately with what appears to be a factual scientific dismissal of a claim, all that is really being posted is an alterior argument to the negative merely as disinformation in order to kill a line of thought before it gets going.
Google is thy friend.
The disinfo game is like playing poker...

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 18/9/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Please present the findings of evidence for a 100 meter tsunami produced by a Canary Islands eruption (as stated in the OP). Lacking that, please present the findings of evidence for a 100 meter tsunami produced by a Canary Islands landslide.

The theory that a landslide on the island of La Palma could produce a mega-tsunami has been disputed.
www.lapalma-tsunami.com...

edit on 9/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Yeah right.

Try reading this one

www.drgeorgepc.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

my first reply disappeared so i shall try again.

Here is supporting evidence from the official El Hierro website (as BBC Horizon appears not to suffice):

The fact is that, just 50.000 years ago, the small island of El Hierro was the site of one of the most violent and devastating natural phenomena known to man: a landslide of gigantic proportions. In just a few seconds, probably brought on by an earth tremor, a large piece of the island broke off and slid slowly into the ocean. Like a huge wound, the impressive El Golfo Valley amphitheatre suddenly appeared. It is difficult for us to imagine a landslide involving over 300 km3, a hundred times the volume of the St. Helens volcano. It is believed that the "tsunami" produced by the landslide must have been over 300 feet high, and its effects were probably felt on the American coast.

web oficial de turismo de la isla de el hierro

The OP's date was a tad off, and his source is about as reputable as a very disreputable thing, but the facts are "official". Any data suggesting otherwise must therefore be taken as mere conjecture or bias theory.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 18/9/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Any data suggesting otherwise must therefore be taken as mere conjecture or bias theory.

There is no evidence of such a tsunami. Therefore it is conjecture that such a tsunami was created.

It is believed that the "tsunami" produced by the landslide must have been over 300 feet high, and its effects were probably felt on the American coast.

www.elhierro.travel...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Then you have your mission!
Quickly, inform the population of El Hierro that their history is being mistreated and abused by their own officials. Perhaps they're even liable for false representation or misleading trade description?
Make sure that you also inform them of the alternate, non-disastrous theories you've managed to find on the net. After the abnormal swarm of tremors they've been experiencing, they'll need something light to take their minds off of the impending annhialation of their homes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join