It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Everyone Should See

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
this is an excellent video about critical thinking, please check it out you won't be disapointed. it delves into what exactly critical thinking is and how to correctly go about it. it also talks about flaws in our perceptions and how to overcome them. i came across it by luck and thought it would be great to share with all ya'll.

over the years i have met a lot of intelligent people who surprisingly enough, seem to lack this skill, i hope that a lot of people will see this and pass it on, as i think it will better our attitudes, and our reactions to the problems that we face, so that we can help each and in turn help the world.

Critical thinking involves analyzing, conceptualizing, defining, examining, inferring, listening, questioning, reasoning, and synthesizing and then evaluating thoughts and information in a disciplined way.

Critical thinkers are curious, eager to widen their perspectives and broaden their knowledge. They are willing to do the work required to keep themselves properly informed.

Skepticism does not refer to and indiscriminate rejection of ideas. It is doubting and suspending judgement.

- thanks for the help newcovenant : ) ^^^

edit on 18/9/11 by emptyOmind because: add some info

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Oh, great, I posted a video clip in just such a way, to start a thread, and it got deleted.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Well.....if you had the T&C's (as should this OP should have) you would have read the part about making threads count....ie, no 1 liner threads.

You cant just post a vid and a line of text....but it seems more and more people are (newbies) and not having their threads 404'd.

This is the 5th 1 line thread ive seen today...all from new members....only one was deleted so far.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

edit on 18/9/11 by emptyOmind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by emptyOmind
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

damn, why don't you guys go and cry about it.

i posted this to help people

way to miss the point. you're sharing an excellent vid, best i've ever seen. star & flag for you from me. someone pointed out your OP will probably be pulled because in the T&C of ATS they state they want people to give input, some contribution beyond the minimum, instead of a sentence and a vid.

why not Edit and add a little bit, even 3-4 sentences to your OP? maybe then more people will get to view your post. isn't that the whole point? that video really is most excellent, and i'll be sharing it for years to come.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
here here! excellent video. but alas,critical thinking can get you into a bit of trouble when your dealing with black&white thinkers! my glass is neither half full,or half empty. I DON'T OWN A GLASS!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Very good video s&f...some ATS members definitely need to see this if you catch my drift

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

you're totally right, i offer my apologies just felt as if they missed the point of my post

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by emptyOmind

It is a great video!
I hope people take the 5 minutes or so, it takes to watch it.

I think we should be required to watch it before we begin posting on ATS.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Well.....if you had the T&C's (as should this OP should have) you would have read the part about making threads count....ie, no 1 liner threads.

You cant just post a vid and a line of text....but it seems more and more people are (newbies) and not having their threads 404'd.

This is the 5th 1 line thread ive seen today...all from new members....only one was deleted so far.

I don't want to be nit picky but it's three lines and that constitutes a paragraph. Requirement is a couple of paragraphs so still falls a little short but makes it up in excellent, timely, necessary, and worthy content.

edit on 18-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
S&F

This truly is an excellent video. Thanks for sharing this with us.

I think many members of this site should watch this video, then take a moment to absorb the information contained therein, and then watch it a couple more times.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
hmm

already seen ..its a time-loop
edit on 18-9-2011 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I got distracted by his accent
haha Love it
But seriously - very good video. I've always liked to think myself a critical thinker, and generally look at life as everything being shades of grey... but have found, because of this site, that I'm definitely black and white on some subjects. This site has helped me broaden those shades of grey even more...and pushed even those few subjects I've been resistant about. Great vid!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nii900

i'm a bit confused, what does this have to do with anything?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Nice Video, I am well aware of this, especially since I've been a member of ATS.

I don't post very much, after reading some of the other members comments, it's pretty clear that they are not even reading the OP at all, they read the Headline and the first few words of the OP and then make some rude comment.

These people are NOT Critical Thinkers, they are Backwards Thinkers, even my 10yr old daughter knows you have to READ something to understand it.

My job requires me to continually go to school and take tests, one day in the lunch room, someone asked me if I was going to take some tests for everyone so they could get credit for them, I said NO, and I made the comment that everyone just has to do the required READING and then they could pass the tests on thier own, then the room went quiet, and they dropped the subject.

I'ts a pretty sad world that we live in.

A Critical Thinking Class starting in Elementary School should be a requirement for all students,

"Critical Thinking 101"

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hi, "good thinking" fans !

Hoooooooo boy ! !

His he RIGHT, when he says that
many have opinions for their own **comfort**,
not from or for the **truth** ! ! ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

This is excellent
Everyone should watch this. Thanks op for a great find. Just what a few ats members need to see for sure. I spend a lot of time reading comments and there are a lot of them that make me go

Fine little job op...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Not a bad video , however its doesent explain, *how* we make a shift from;

The constructivism approach lead by Paiget from concrete operations to formal operations or even from the socio congative Russian developmental psychologist Vygotsky views and how it is at from social process to internal confict that we have a shift in thinking which is also advocated if not more by Piaget.

Critical thinking............is an amazing subject to study in Psychology.

if your interested read up on

Piaget
Vygotsky
Woods

to a lesser extent B.F Skinner and how behavourial learning in no uncertian terms destroys critical thinking, which even he said it does, more importantly its the most widely used teaching technique in the western world, google itm operant conditioning.

~2nd year Psychology student going onto my 3rd year in January.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FutureThinker

Nice Video, I am well aware of this, especially since I've been a member of ATS.

I don't post very much, after reading some of the other members comments, it's pretty clear that they are not even reading the OP at all, they read the Headline and the first few words of the OP and then make some rude comment.

These people are NOT Critical Thinkers, they are Backwards Thinkers, even my 10yr old daughter knows you have to READ something to understand it.

My job requires me to continually go to school and take tests, one day in the lunch room, someone asked me if I was going to take some tests for everyone so they could get credit for them, I said NO, and I made the comment that everyone just has to do the required READING and then they could pass the tests on thier own, then the room went quiet, and they dropped the subject.

A Critical Thinking Class starting in Elementary School should be a requirement for all students,

"Critical Thinking 101"

Peace

They do teach critical thinking, you just arnt looking for it, its hidden, its all in teaching technique.

Group task's teach critical thinking, heres one I described earlier to a friend,

"Did you ever wonder why you always got grouped with a really smart kid and a complete dumb # during primary school classroom tasks?

The answer is : your a (2) average , where as mr dumb # is a (1) and the smart kid is a (3).

So here's the break down, because your smarter than (1) your task in the group is to basically "knock" some sense into him by the answer given between you and mr (3).

As your there to test his logic and make sure his predictions are sound, as he is smarter than you."

Even simpler below

You see number (1) is a bit slow, its up to you being number (2) to show him your way of thinking (critically), number (3) is smart althrough whit that comes an attitude, he will usually tell you the answer but you being number (2) its your job to get him to explain it to you so his logic becomes sound.

And there you have it Critical thinking 101 that happens everyday in a class room near you!

edit on 18-9-2011 by michaelmcclen because: bad grammar

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen

Originally posted by FutureThinker

"Critical Thinking 101"

Peace

They do teach critical thinking, you just arnt looking for it, its hidden, its all in teaching technique.

Group task's teach critical thinking, heres one I described earlier to a friend,

"Did you ever wonder why you always got grouped with a really smart kid and a complete dumb # during primary school classroom tasks?

The answer is : your a (2) average , where as mr dumb # is a (1) and the smart kid is a (3).

So here's the break down, because your smarter than (1) your task in the group is to basically "knock" some sense into him by the answer given between you and mr (3).

As your there to test his logic and make sure his predictions are sound, as he is smarter than you."

Even simpler below

You see number (1) is a bit slow, its up to you being number (2) to show him your way of thinking (critically), number (3) is smart althrough whit that comes an attitude, he will usually tell you the answer but you being number (2) its your job to get him to explain it to you so his logic becomes sound.

And there you have it Critical thinking 101 that happens everyday in a class room near you!

edit on 18-9-2011 by michaelmcclen because: bad grammar

Sorry forgot to mention, if your advocating critical thinking in elementry school , your a few years out by Piagets hypothesis.

The shift to a higher cognative ability (formal operation) as he believes does not come into effect until the body hits maturation at 12-13.

This should give you some idea's on what to have a read over and help you on your quest for critical thinking.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join