It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Elenin Is Gone, What's This?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Mods please move to proper area. Too new to post it there myself.

Apologies for the terrible quality, these were taken with a prepaid cell phone. I took these while walking to the bus stop this morning (9/18 5:50am-6:30am) in Mesa, AZ facing East. Comet Elenin is reported to have broken up, so what is this bright object? It seemed like it was moving at first, but in about an hour of observation did not actually change it's position in the sky. Thoughts?

And no, it's definitely not a star, it was 4-5 times bigger and brighter than any star I've seen in almost 3 years of living in this area. The pictures don't do it justice.

edit on 18-9-2011 by EpitomeInternational because: Fix images, and edit info to reflect that I am well aware of the current Elenin thoughts and theories, and they do not apply here. I'm not saying it's Elenin, I'm saying if it's not, WTF is it?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Links dont work...direct to google mail.
Elenin HAS disintegrated....it never got past perihelion.

Im pretty sure when you do post the pics it will be of Jupiter....like all the other people posting pics of "Elenin"

Oh....you need 20 posts to make threads

But welcome, we need another Elenin believer hahahaha

Yup...jupiter as thought

edit on 18-9-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
could you post the pics or info in another site please, i do not have a yahoo account.

Many thanks if you do, i understand if you cannot.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I beg to differ, check the signature.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by EpitomeInternational

Your links are not working.

Jupiter is quite bright at the moment.

Probably Jupiter.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

I suggest you look at this link instead

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But if you believe in an 80,000km planet/comet/spaceship, thats down to you....

EDIT: FOR THE OP:

Your right its not a star....its a PLANET.
edit on 18-9-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

these were taken with a prepaid cell phone.

So let me get this straight. You don't believe Elenin broke up. And you have pictures of your prepaid cellphone to prove it. My question is... Were you able to see Elenin on your cellphone before you heard it broke up?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Yes, and I suggest you look at my counter to that thread, hence the title.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's jupiter. Elenin will only reach the most extreme limits of what the naked eye can see in October (when it is roughly the same distance from us as Venus is now), and since the naked eye is likely dozens of times better than a prepaid phone, it can't possibly be Elenin in the picture!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I, too, live in Mesa, Az (small world, huh) and work as a Newspaper carrier.

My wife and I both saw this object hanging in the sky just at the crack of dawn. It was not there before the sun started coming up. I sky watch a lot and have seen Jupiter. This was not a planet.

The only thing I could think it might be is a satellite or space junk.

On a related note, I looked out about an hour later and even though the sun was shining brighter (not fully up yet), I could still see it. However, it had a smaller object near it. I watched for a few minutes as the smaller object actually moved away from the larger one.

When I checked a bit later, neither could be seen.

Take care

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
ahh.. slightly naive, new member... welcome to ATS.

you will learn my friend... and a year down the line, if your still here.. i can guarantee you will facepalm yourself when you think of this thread..
edit on 18/9/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Elenin never made it past Magnitude 6 so it wouldn't be able to be seen with the naked eye. Furthermore, it wouldn't have risen in Arizona at that time. It's Jupiter. It's exactly where the OP said it was at that time.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Jupiter is round. This object was not completely round. It looked like it had something hanging down from it.

It looked like the sun (just coming up over the horizon) was glinting off of it. Whatever it was, I can assure you that it was NOT Jupiter.

I pointed it out to 3 other people and not one of them said, "Oh, that's a planet."

I can vouch for what this guy is saying. This was not something ordinary in the sky. I don't buy the Elenin stuff and NASA has said there is space junk falling in about a week, so who knows.

I've seen the sky every night for the past 13 years and I've never seen something like this.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by akeetlebeetle
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Jupiter is round. This object was not completely round. It looked like it had something hanging down from it.

It looked like the sun (just coming up over the horizon) was glinting off of it. Whatever it was, I can assure you that it was NOT Jupiter.

I pointed it out to 3 other people and not one of them said, "Oh, that's a planet."

I can vouch for what this guy is saying. This was not something ordinary in the sky. I don't buy the Elenin stuff and NASA has said there is space junk falling in about a week, so who knows.

I've seen the sky every night for the past 13 years and I've never seen something like this.

Jupiter has moons.....thats more than likely what you are seeing and describing as "hanging down from it"

There are plenty of reason why it may not appear perfectly round...but i shall not bother, as you are convinced its something it is not

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by akeetlebeetle

You're right it's not Jupiter. I just checked Stellarium for myself and found that it was Venus. It even had a star directly below it like you describe. Unfortunately the star was too close to Venus for me to click on so I couldn't find out which star it was exactly.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I'm not new. Didn't say it was Elenin. Just took some pictures and asked some questions. If it's Jupiter, cool. If it's not, cool. It doesn't really vibe with being Jupiter for me because it was in a completely different area of the sky from where Jupiter was supposed to be, and was brighter than Jupiter is typically capable of being with the naked eye even under the most ideal of conditions. Also, no stars were visible at the time, and as another poster said it was still visible after the sun came up, and until the sun made the area unviewable. I honestly don't give a fat sack of monkey crap one way or the other. Don't make assumptions about me, it's counterproductive.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I honestly don't give a fat sack of monkey crap one way or the other. Don't make assumptions about me, it's counterproductive.

Welcome to ATS.
You'll get used to it, or over it.
Or not.
edit on 9/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Be patient. In a few weeks some interesting pictures will start rolling in. Something to the right of the sun. What could it be? Surprise, surprise, it's our old friend ******. Be a little patient. -------------

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you! Good to see you. I always enjoy your posts.

I'm sure I'll eventually get over the negative attitude expressed by a lot of posters on this site, but I'll never get over armchair experts who think that just because they know how to use google and wikipedia that they know what they're talking about.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

these were taken with a prepaid cell phone.

So let me get this straight. You don't believe Elenin broke up. And you have pictures of your prepaid cellphone to prove it. My question is... Were you able to see Elenin on your cellphone before you heard it broke up?

Um... WTF are you talking about? I never said any of those things, and the last question doesn't even make sense. This object was in the sky, not on my cell phone, and I didn't say it had anything to do with Elenin.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join