It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Stairway to Heaven"= About Aliens/God/??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Thanks to BrokenCircles for helping me make this thread more readable

So I was listening to Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin just then and I looked at the lyrics along with it for I never truly paid much attention to them before. In the lyrics I noted the following observations. I'm a beginner at writing threads so don't know all the editing things but I put my interpretation line by line in square brackets. [[like this]]. My mind went on many a tangent but I came out with a cohesive interpretation. Feel free to add your own that build on this one because although I haven't decyphered the whole thing I feel this is an avenue that hasn't been explored.

I tried checking on Google and on here and they had things like 'This song is devil music' and negative press. This was perhaps a way someone wanted to block the release of this message getting out. And then they employed a 'look here see there' tactic by saying 'ooo it's backmasked, listen to it backwards' that all the people searching for meaning prior to them saying that would divert their attention to listening to it backwards than tuning into the real meaning of the song. Because both minds 'the open' and 'the closed' were diverted away.

When they were questioned as to what the lyrics meant, the guy was like 'it was as though someone else was writing it through me'. Is this a reference to him being guided by 'the piper'?

Maybe listen to the song while reading on because it perhaps tunes you into how the interpretation works with the sound. First two paras haven't been figured out yet which is where you can add your bit but the rest,check it

It is also the only song with lyrics inside the album cover so people could listen and read at the same time.

• There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
    [color=ABE0FF]There're certain people that think that money is all important

• And she's buying the stairway to heaven
    [color=ABE0FF]They think this money matters eventually

• When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
    [color=ABE0FF]Money can't buy you anything on the other side

• With a word she can get what she came for.
    [color=ABE0FF]Ooh, ooh, and she's buying the stairway to heaven.

• There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
    [color=ABE0FF]The writing is on the wall but

• 'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
    [color=ABE0FF]pay attention to these words, analyze

• In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
    [color=ABE0FF]Refers to him or the entity for they're coming from there

• Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.
    [color=ABE0FF]Sometimes we're blind

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
    Ooh, it makes me wonder.

• There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
    [color=ABE0FF]refers to when we look at the state the Western world is in.

• And my spirit is crying for leaving.
    [color=ABE0FF]It’s in such a bad state his spirit is crying.

• In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
    [color=ABE0FF]Possible UFO’s

• And the voices of those who stand looking.
    [color=ABE0FF]Aliens have spoken to him perhaps telepathically which is how he’s receiving this/ the sound of the piper perhaps (read on for 'the piper')

• Ooh, it makes me wonder,

• Ooh, it really makes me wonder.
    [color=ABE0FF]He’s all like ‘Whoaaa!’

• And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune

• Then the piper will lead us to reason.

• And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
    [color=ABE0FF]Those who survive / live long enough will witness a new world

• And the forests will echo with laughter.
    [color=ABE0FF]It will be a better place

• If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
    [color=ABE0FF]If something bad happens then don’t be alarmed

• It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
    [color=ABE0FF]The world will reboot.

• Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    [color=ABE0FF]Yes you can have been blind in the past

• There's still time to change the road you're on.
    [color=ABE0FF]But if you open your mind you can still see the light

• And it makes me wonder.

• Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
    [color=ABE0FF]You have questions and all can be answered

• The piper's calling you to join him,
    [color=ABE0FF]Join this ‘piper’/alien race/ God?!

• Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
    [color=ABE0FF]Lady refers to us.

• Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
    [color=ABE0FF]Spread the word for it is your power. Power in numbers?

• And as we wind on down the road
    [color=ABE0FF]As time goes by

• Our shadows taller than our soul.
    [color=ABE0FF]And we become a worse civilisation for we aren’t taking care of this Earth

• There walks a lady we all know
    [color=ABE0FF]Referring to ‘God’ because everyone understands the concept of a God

• Who shines white light and wants to show
    [color=ABE0FF]Portrayal of white glowing ‘God’ who wants to show us

• How everything still turns to gold.
    [color=ABE0FF]How we can be in a better state

• And if you listen very hard
    [color=ABE0FF]And if you pay attention to this alien broadcast frequency or just open your mind

• The tune will come to you at last.
    [color=ABE0FF]You will get the ‘message’/understand?

• When all are one and one is all
    [color=ABE0FF]When we all get together and revolt/ just all get along (which will probably take a revolt or uniting event)

• To be a rock and not to roll.
    [color=ABE0FF]To be strong and not pushovers

• And she's buying the stairway to heaven.

edit on 18-9-2011 by ragsntatters because: Edit colours

edit on 18-9-2011 by ragsntatters because: Added first two paras

• posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:02 AM
    link   
    reply to post by ragsntatters

well considering the amount of drugs the zep boys were on
    it could be about anything

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:09 AM
    link   
    People's thought patterns change when they're on drugs i.e. it goes against the 'programming'/'conditioning' we're under so maybe that's why we can't hear the 'sound' i.e. believing lies that 'illegal' drugs are all BAD. But they did

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:22 AM
    link   
    This song is truly art and has always been one of my favorites. And, as with all art, is open to multiple interpretations. As a wannabe hippie who is struggling with dealing with the disconnection of what my local society expects of me and what I truly feel we should all be, this quote captures my feelings well and I have interpreted it a little differently than you have.

Originally posted by ragsntatters
    There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
    And my spirit is crying for leaving.

The “west” refers to the greed, capitalism and technology of western civilisation. (The “east” is the spiritual way of love and compassion and enlightenment of the soul). Plant doesn’t like what he sees, and wants to take a different path (as do I).

ETA:

Good work.
    It's encouraging to see people thinking past the old “well considering the amount of drugs the zep boys were on
    it could be about anything “

edit on 18/9/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:23 AM
    link   
    I'm not buying anything regarding this song. Just me opinion but all the rumors and what not surrounding this song I think are bunk.

There are other examples but I believe that it's just words that sound good. I can think of other tunes, most notably Yes' best tune, IMO, Awaken. Lyrics to that are only there because they have a singer and he's gotta do something. They sound great and all but have no meaning whatsoever. No joke, they make no sense whatsoever but damn do they sound great.

Personally, I couldn't care any less about Led Zeppelin than I do now, which is less than none. I always found them to be one of the lamer acts of the 70's, part folk, part rock, never knowing which way they are going and to me, pretty boring. Just because some fart at Rolling Stone says we all should worship at their feet, well, those are the same farts that have kept Deep Purple and Rush out of the Rock n Roll hall of shame, which is a absolutely pathetic joke.

I've just never understood the worship that this band gets, as I liked most acts from that era much more than I ever did Led Zep.

Hell, who knows? Maybe Crowley did impart some wisdom to Page and Plant and Stairway holds the encrypted keys to (Metta) World Peace?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:23 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Yeah along those lines about Capitalism and just things turning to mud. Ah such a good song!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:24 AM
    link   
    the people who listened to it in it's era (like my father) insist that it's about drugs. "Buying her stairway to heaven" is a reference to buying what ti takes to get high.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:29 AM
    link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
    I'm not buying anything regarding this song. Just me opinion but all the rumors and what not surrounding this song I think are bunk.

There are other examples but I believe that it's just words that sound good. I can think of other tunes, most notably Yes' best tune, IMO, Awaken. Lyrics to that are only there because they have a singer and he's gotta do something. They sound great and all but have no meaning whatsoever. No joke, they make no sense whatsoever but damn do they sound great.

Personally, I couldn't care any less about Led Zeppelin than I do now, which is less than none. I always found them to be one of the lamer acts of the 70's, part folk, part rock, never knowing which way they are going and to me, pretty boring. Just because some fart at Rolling Stone says we all should worship at their feet, well, those are the same farts that have kept Deep Purple and Rush out of the Rock n Roll hall of shame, which is a absolutely pathetic joke.

I've just never understood the worship that this band gets, as I liked most acts from that era much more than I ever did Led Zep.

Hell, who knows? Maybe Crowley did impart some wisdom to Page and Plant and Stairway holds the encrypted keys to (Metta) World Peace?

Thing is, I'm saying that the 'rumours' were manufactured to keep people distracted from it's true meaning. You don't like them, that's a different story and that's cool, each to their own. I'm not saying they're 'the best band ever' I'm saying that maybe they or 'something' tried to communicate through them.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:34 AM
    link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
    Just because some fart at Rolling Stone says we all should worship at their feet, well, those are the same farts that have kept Deep Purple and Rush out of the Rock n Roll hall of shame, which is a absolutely pathetic joke.

Why does it have to be a competition? At the time this came out, I can assure you that I was not reading Rolling Stones
    and did not have that input telling me to like this band... and still they are one of my favorites. I wasn't reading much of anything to be honest. Just because others are deserving as well doesn't discount that many people did like Led Zep, including me.

For me, it's a feeling that their music imparts in me. I don't mind if others don't get that same feeling.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:34 AM
    link   

I'm not gonna lie, I haven't even actually read much of this yet.
    I just think that this would be much better for you.

There are many different methods, that could be used, but my own personal preference is color. I am not saying this is the best, but I do believe that this is a needed improvement. If you agree, then feel free to quote, copy, & paste it, for a more reader-friendly OP. Or, If you want help with changing it a different way, I may be able to help. Such as coloring the actual lyrics also, or going with different colors, etc. Anyways, as of right now, each line of actual song lyrics, is preceded with a dot, and all of the blue, is your words.

• There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
    [color=ABE0FF]refers to when we look at the state the Western world is in.

• And my spirit is crying for leaving.
    [color=ABE0FF]It’s in such a bad state his spirit is crying.

• In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
    [color=ABE0FF]Possible UFO’s

• And the voices of those who stand looking.
    [color=ABE0FF]Aliens have spoken to him perhaps telepathically which is how he’s receiving this/ the sound of the piper perhaps (read on for 'the piper')

• Ooh, it makes me wonder,

• Ooh, it really makes me wonder.
    [color=ABE0FF]He’s all like ‘Whoaaa!’

• And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune

• Then the piper will lead us to reason.

• And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
    [color=ABE0FF]Those who survive / live long enough will witness a new world

• And the forests will echo with laughter.
    [color=ABE0FF]It will be a better place

• If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
    [color=ABE0FF]If something bad happens then don’t be alarmed

• It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
    [color=ABE0FF]The world will reboot.

• Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    [color=ABE0FF]Yes you can have been blind in the past

• There's still time to change the road you're on.
    [color=ABE0FF]But if you open your mind you can still see the light

• And it makes me wonder.

• Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
    [color=ABE0FF]You have questions and all can be answered

• The piper's calling you to join him,
    [color=ABE0FF]Join this ‘piper’/alien race/ God?!

• Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
    [color=ABE0FF]Lady refers to us.

• Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
    [color=ABE0FF]Spread the word for it is your power. Power in numbers?

• And as we wind on down the road
    [color=ABE0FF]As time goes by

• Our shadows taller than our soul.
    [color=ABE0FF]And we become a worse civilisation for we aren’t taking care of this Earth

• There walks a lady we all know
    [color=ABE0FF]Referring to ‘God’ because everyone understands the concept of a God

• Who shines white light and wants to show
    [color=ABE0FF]Portrayal of white glowing ‘God’ who wants to show us

• How everything still turns to gold.
    [color=ABE0FF]How we can be in a better state

• And if you listen very hard
    [color=ABE0FF]And if you pay attention to this alien broadcast frequency or just open your mind

• The tune will come to you at last.
    [color=ABE0FF]You will get the ‘message’/understand?

• When all are one and one is all
    [color=ABE0FF]When we all get together and revolt/ just all get along (which will probably take a revolt or uniting event)

• To be a rock and not to roll.
    [color=ABE0FF]To be strong and not pushovers

• And she's buying the stairway to heaven.

edit on 9/18/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

• posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
    link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
    the people who listened to it in it's era (like my father) insist that it's about drugs. "Buying her stairway to heaven" is a reference to buying what ti takes to get high.

This just gave me a nudge toward the first two para interpretation I missed out.

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold [[There're certain people that think that money is all important]]
    And she's buying the stairway to heaven.[[They think this money matters eventually]]
    When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed [[Money can't buy you anything on the other side]]
    With a word she can get what she came for.
    Ooh, ooh, and she's buying the stairway to heaven.

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure [[The writing is on the wall but
    'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings. [[pay attention to these words, analyze]]
    In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings, [[Refers to him or the entity for they're coming from there]]
    Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.
    Ooh, it makes me wonder,
    Ooh, it makes me wonder.

4 lines leftover

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:33 AM
    link   
    reply to post by TheLoony

Hey , how about the song "tin man" from america?
    does it have a meaning?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:39 AM
    link   

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold.

I think the reference to gold in the first line is akin to "wonderful".

The common conception of Stairway is that it was about drugs.

Heck, you only have to see a live version of "Dazed & Confused" on youtube to see where Zep' were coming from.

Madison Square Garden, New York City 1973

Just for the hell of it, here is Kashmir for the Zeppaholics like myself

edit on 18/9/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
    link   
    One of my favorite songs of all time!
    Also reminded me of Gilligan's Island being sung to this tune:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
    link   

Similar to Chris Cornell getting annoyed whenever people ask him what Soundgarden's biggest hit "Black Hole Sun" means and all these interpretations and he revealed once and for all what he was thinking when he wrote the lyrics to it.

Pretty much the song is about nothing, he just put some nonsense words together at random.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:43 PM
    link   
    reply to post by OccamAssassin

The opening lyrics to Kashmir are quite interesting. Always made me think of some kind of alien scenario...

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face
    Stars to fill my dreams
    I am a traveler of both time and space
    To be where I have been

Secret elders of the gentle race
    This world is seldom seen
    They talk of days for which they sit and wait
    All will be revealed

edit on 18-9-2011 by Anthropomorphous because: spelling

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:41 PM
    link   
    reply to post by curious7

Exactly. It happens more than most people think. Heck, most of the Beatles later works were nonsense. It mostly happens in prog rock but occasionally in your more regular rock n roll. If Jon Anderson WAS trying to make sense in Awaken, then all I have to say is, well, it was recorded in the 70's.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:33 AM
    link   

Originally posted by curious7

Similar to Chris Cornell getting annoyed whenever people ask him what Soundgarden's biggest hit "Black Hole Sun" means and all these interpretations and he revealed once and for all what he was thinking when he wrote the lyrics to it.

Pretty much the song is about nothing, he just put some nonsense words together at random.

Basically like Deep Purple's "Space Truckin'", according to Ian Gillan.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Anthropomorphous

Yeah good call, sounds like a bit of a recurring theme with them. Speaking of an external force that guides and nurtures and everything being righted eventually.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Anthropomorphous
    reply to post by OccamAssassin

The opening lyrics to Kashmir are quite interesting. Always made me think of some kind of alien scenario...

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face
    Stars to fill my dreams
    I am a traveler of both time and space
    To be where I have been

Secret elders of the gentle race
    This world is seldom seen
    They talk of days for which they sit and wait
    All will be revealed

edit on 18-9-2011 by Anthropomorphous because: spelling

Nope no aliens.. just a long drive through the Moroccan desert...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join