It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.8 Magnitude Earthquake in India

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

6.8 Magnitude Earthquake in India

indiatoday.intoday.in

An earthquake hit large parts of northern and eastern India on Sunday evening, according to the US Geological Survey.

The quake, with the epicentre in Sikkim, measured 6.8 on the Richter scale and struck around 6.10 p.m., as per the initial report put out by the US agency.

Tremors were felt in Delhi and adjoining regions, Kolkata, Lucknow, Patna and Guwahati.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Why are so many earthquakes happening? this is seriously worrying...Could this be a preparation for something BIG? There have already been 16 MAJOR earthquakes this year..

indiatoday.intoday.in
edit on 18/9/2011 by GLaDOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

Of course it's preparation for something big.

I'm so excited and I hope that others are equally excited as well.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
india. I never expected a 6.8 in sikkim

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
latest reports are that there is no electricity in Sikkim
edit on 18-9-2011 by Noobastronomer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Are there more earthquakes, or are people paying more attention to the seismographs? This is odd.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

18 actually including this one and the Mag 9. There were 22 in 2010 so 2011 has not caught up yet.

I probably will. Mag 6 quakes are still well below the highest number for the last decade. About 163 this year so far.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Gangtok: At least a dozen houses collapsed in this Sikkim capital Sunday due to a 6.8 earthquake which jolted large parts of eastern and northern India, witnesses said.

daily.bhaskar.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Ya, 6.9 in Sikkim and I felt the tremors on the 6th floor in Delhi (which is 1500 km (1000 miles) from sikkim)

Entire floor and massive dining table were shaking as was my chair, body, plants in balcony, the entire balcony lol

They evac'ed the whole building and it wasn't actually scary, but still, this is the 2nd quake in 10 days, everyone is remarking upon that, because normally they are months apart. Or maybe we are just noticing them more, dunno.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Don`t know if this has been posted but this is pretty cool. for finding out how many Earthquakes any area has had.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I messed with this some and since have learned I believe since 1973 is when the info is actually recorded. I didn`t know where to post it and almost didn`t but here seems it is being discussed and I`d like PuterMan to take a look.
From what I can see they are on the rise?

Now I looked up the following years on Global setting 4+ magnitude. So if you click the following it will show a map I have on Photobucket. All credit for the map and info goes to the above link.

First up being born in 63 I looked up to date of the 11th.
June 1963 to 9/11/2011 total 23910
1970 to 1980 total 2823
1980 to 1990 total 5108
1990 to 2000 total 4399
2000 to 2010 total 10636

and with 9 years to keep racking them up seems to me we are well on our way past the previous 10 years??
2010 to 2011 total 3554
Now we doubled the 4+ events from 2000 to 2010 over any 10 year prior. And got a pretty nice start within this beginning of the next.

Now I realize that we have more monitors out now but the fact remains that even with that at the Earliest dates we have the areas covered it seems as they show activity. Now then am I wrong in being able to actually look at this info as pretty accurate as in seeing the sudden increase in activity?

This is for all Earthquakes in my life so far 1 mag and higher
June 1963 to 9/11/2011 all 1mag and up total 35671

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
two more in that region,

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Now then am I wrong in being able to actually look at this info as pretty accurate

No, the data is accurate. The problem lies in the interpretation.

I have covered this subject so many times and done graphs, but I can't get at them currently.

For the time being take a look at this and when we can get at the pics again I will drag out the graphs that show the highest energy release was in 1960.

Basically, in a nutshell, you are right in saying that the numbers have increased, but so as you point out has the detection. The number of seismic stations between the early seventies and today has increased - and these are figures from memory - 2000 to 6500 in round numbers. Yes we detect more. The ONLY elements you should look at are mag 6.5 upwards and you should not stop going back at 1970 since that was a low point in the cycle. You have to take this back at least to 1900, but there you have a problem as the on-line catalogues actually don't go back that far.

The ANSS catalogue runs out around the same time as the one you referenced since that is what these are based on.

Take a look at the Centennial Catalogue.

ETA: BTW you get quakes deeper than 150. There are millions of earthquakes a year. The figure for your lifetime is way too low. USGS does not count quakes below 4 anyway.

edit on 18/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
So not quite 188 days, but pretty damned close....I wonder if a similar pattern has ever been noticed before with earthquakes? Something like a tectonic tide cycle.

Anyone?

ETA:

I really am way too uninformed in this area-- I always just assumed the ground shakes unpredictably and that's about it.

edit on 18-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quyll
reply to post by GLaDOS

Of course it's preparation for something big.

I'm so excited and I hope that others are equally excited as well.

huh.
....really.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I thought the 188 day think was supposed to form a square with California the last corner? Like Fiji which was claimed, India is not anywhere near California as far as I am aware

Stuff and 188 day nonsense as far as I can see.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Yes, it was originally mentioned in connection with the square idea.

However, I'm asking if there might be celestial explanations for the frequency/susceptibility of earthquake activity. Sort of like the connection of water tides and the moon.

Is there any kind of celestial cycle that matches this 188 day thing?

I know it seems ridiculously sophomoric and simple (perhaps it is) not to have been noticed before, but like I said, this isn't really my area of expertise (actually I have none
) and I was just curious.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLaDOS
Why are so many earthquakes happening? this is seriously worrying...Could this be a preparation for something BIG? There have already been 16 MAJOR earthquakes this year..

indiatoday.intoday.in
edit on 18/9/2011 by GLaDOS because: (no reason given)

Hundreds of earthquakes happen every day all over this planet. This one just happened to hit a populated area.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Its been some time, has anyone
seen any updates as to the situation
there. My husband is from India
but was adopted and came to the
US as a child. He is concerned
about the people, as I am.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

However, I'm asking if there might be celestial explanations for the frequency/susceptibility of earthquake activity. Sort of like the connection of water tides and the moon.

Despite what many say I think the jury is still out on that. It does appear there may be a connection with sunspot activity, but not with CMEs, indeed it may even be that high solar flare activity actually DEcreases the number of quakes.

Much work to do in this area I feel before any positive statement could be made.

By the way as far as the moon and tides go there is no believable correlation between the two. The problem is the moon affects the planet every hour of the day, or every 12 hours if you are looking at high and low tides. Earthquakes will always happen 'apparently' in conjunction with this.

The last supermoon was a miserable failure. Far from producing a Cascadia quake the activity was really low.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Hi CD, as I said on quake watch I think we are fortunate this was a remote area,

The U.S. Geological Survey said on its website the quake was centered 64 km (40 miles) north west of Gangtok, capital of northeastern state Sikkim. It was 10 km (6.2 miles) deep.

"Cracks have developed in some buildings in Gangtok. Most phone lines are down and there is no electricity now. People have come out on the street," said Gangtok resident Bobby Dahal.

"It is too early to ascertain any damage. We are trying to get in touch with the state government of Sikkim to know if they need any help from us," Sujata Saunail, joint secretary of he National Disaster Management Authority, told Reuters.

Sikkim is India's least populous state, located in the Himalayas between Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet.

Reuters

Telephone land lines to Gangtok were temporarily knocked out and mobile networks were quickly swamped, making communications with the affected area difficult.

There were no immediate reports of any casualties or damage.

Hindustan Times
edit on 18/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join