It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

75% Of The Earth's Surface Is Water And We Don't Even Know Where It Came From!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Saturn's rings are made primarily of water ice. Since pure water ice is white, it is believed that different colors in the rings reflect different amounts of contamination by other materials such as rock or carbon compounds. In conjunction with information from other Cassini instruments, Cassini images will help scientists determine the composition of different parts of Saturn's ring system. (Courtesy NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute)

Saturn's Magnificent Rings

In Arthur C Clark's book 3001: The Final Frontier, there is scene where an earth based freighter is towing a huge ice chunk, from the rings of Saturn to a colony on Mercury.

I think that it's more probable that Earth was terraformed by ET than the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

edit on 18-9-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Perhaps the only way for water to travel through space is to
have it propelled as part of an explosion that also heated it up
to land on earth as water instead of an ice comet causing a
crater.
ED: Sure and where did Saturn's rings get the ice.

edit on 9/18/2011 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
you clearly know it has to come from God, theres no other explanation. Read Genesis in the Bible

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

We do not even know where the building blocks for life on Earth originated from. All we know is that they probably arrived on a piece of space rock that collided with the Earth. We have no idea which of the impacts was responsible for seeding the Earth, but recent discoveries strongly suggest that life originated elsewhere than here.

If our presence here on Earth is the result of an impact from a space rock , then its no stretch of the imagination to think that an enormous frozen lump of ice, from some other place (hell maybe even the same place, same space junk we came here on) upped and slammed into the planet, covering an otherwise dry world with moisture!

The possibilities are interesting , I will give you that.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It is a good humdinger of a question. We can assume that it was God -which is the lazy way out and lets us off any further analysis or we can try to look for scientific explanations which would drive us down new and interesting avenues.The answer to the question will almost certainly help us with the calculation of life on other planets

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Perhaps the only way for water to travel through space is to
have it propelled as part of an explosion that also heated it up
to land on earth as water instead of an ice comet causing a
crater.
ED: Sure and where did Saturn's rings get the ice.

edit on 9/18/2011 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

Scientists have collected the strongest evidence yet that Saturn moon Enceladus has a large saltwater ocean lurking beneath its surface.
Samples of ice spray shooting out of the moon have been collected by the Nasa's Cassini spacecraft during one of its frequent Saturn fly-bys.
The plumes shooting water vapor and

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... L90YOIU

Link

There's a cool photo from Cassini of the water vapor shooting out into space and contributing to the ice rings.

I know, where did Enceladus get it's water?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Seems to me that it is a chemical reaction. We have Oxygen in our atmosphere and Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, they simply have to touch to produce water. I don't know exactly how, but I am guessing it is less complicated than we might think.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is just another anti-Creation or Creator thread. Just because scientists wont admit that they dont know whats going on, doesnt mean it cant come from a Creator Yahuwah, or what you un-learned people call 'god'. The Earth was a globe of water, before it was even made into a mass of water/land and living creatures (Genesis 1:2). We don't know where it came from because man wasnt around before water was around, and we dont have historical experiences of it coming into existence in front of human eyes.

For you people out there, like I mean way out there.... maybe you should consider water to be your 'god'. It was here before you, it maybe created you? Just about as silly as any other theory of our existence that denies a purpose to our existence. Water is in space, because the earth was once covered by a canopy of water or ice. And beyond space, there may even be another layer of water that surrounds everything. Just read Psalms 148, only verse to back that up.

Once again people are asking the wrong question, it shouldnt be where did water come from. It should be, why is water here, and why must we need water to survive? And why are we here? What is our purpose?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
pretty sure the earths is less than .02% water.

that's really not a lot at all.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
If the total volume of water on Earth were formed into a sphere The water sphere would measure 1390 kilometers across and have a volume of 1.4 billion cubic kilometers.

Tiny in comparison to the earth

this graphic shows it well

I don't think the OP was thinking that the water itself was 75% of what makes up planet Earth, what the OP meant, if I may, was that 75% of Earth's surface is covered in water.

I see the Oceans as the world of, and the domain of the Whale and Dolphin Race. I tend to believe when the Dolphins and Whales came here to Earth, they brought their world with them. Dolphins are probably the highest form of life and intelligence on the planet, and Whales are the biggest. I once read that science knew more about the universe than they know about the oceans, and I believe that is true.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Seektruthalways1

Un learned? Only an arrogant fool would bring a line like that to the table. Get this in your head. The people here are not ignorant, nor un learned.

More to the point, if you love the creator , God , or whomever you decide to call him, thats your business, just like the way I worship him, and what I call Him is mine. That has not, and never will give you carte blanche to go around running your mouth. The way you run your faith is your business .You keep yours out of my face, and I will keep mine out of yours, are we clear ? Good , smashing!

Lets get back to the scientific debate now shall we?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

maybe so but if you look at how much water there actually is in comparison with the earth itself it does become apparent exactly how precious it is whatever the source

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Or you could go so far as to say God created the water (everyone laugh all at once now). Could have happened though. Scientifically it would literaly take billions of years of comets and asteroids raining down on earth to bring enough water that would fill up the earth to cover it 3 feet deep with water, being that the water percentage would have been something like .003% per asteroid/meteor. But low and behold some 4+ billion years later we have oceans that go several miles deep instead. Indeed where did all the water come from? Either mainstream science is lying, or God is lying and i'm not about to call the creator a liar.

hmm, this is in genesis 1 "God moved upon the face of the waters." this in biblical terms "moved upon" means "copulated with" so, that's kind of weird.......

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish
pretty sure the earths is less than .02% water.

that's really not a lot at all.

That's probably not what you would be thinking if we dropped you off in the middle of it

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I wonder sometimes on where all the ice came from, the rings around Saturn, the Ort cloud, ice on Mars and the moon, the ice moons, comets.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by baburak
reply to post by blocula

That article doesnt state that water didn't come from comets but according to one research it PROBABLY didnt come from comets. It doesn't mean anything ... it's one research where there should be hundreds to prove or disprove theory. Few of the best theories in science through the history were: The Earth is flat, The Earth is the center of everything, Sun evolves around Earth etc. ... i think you see where i am going ....

And my answer is that the water came from space ... like everything else, even the molecules in your body.

we know exactly where water came from/comes from!!! It comes from the matter on earth. Anything with a hydrogen or an ogygen molecule that is on the earth will one day become water. Some of the matter on earth does get here from comets that crashed here, there is a lot of "space dust" that falls on the earth too, so it is reasonable to assume that they will play a small part in the water cycle, perhaps in a billion years when they make their way to the center of the earth where the intense heat and pressure will rip the matter aprt, melt it down, and spew it out in different elements, including steam. But I would guess it would be a small percentage at this point. When the earth was new and had no atmosphere every comet and its dog settled here, bringing with it new matter. But now our atmosphere protects us from a lot of this, so not as much new matter.
As for whomever was talking about the water condensing on glass, I dont think that is water being created. I think the water is already in the air, and the temp difference between the ice and the air cause the droplets in the air to "condense". causing condensation. So the water was there already, we just couldnt see it.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by patternfinder

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Or you could go so far as to say God created the water (everyone laugh all at once now). Could have happened though. Scientifically it would literaly take billions of years of comets and asteroids raining down on earth to bring enough water that would fill up the earth to cover it 3 feet deep with water, being that the water percentage would have been something like .003% per asteroid/meteor. But low and behold some 4+ billion years later we have oceans that go several miles deep instead. Indeed where did all the water come from? Either mainstream science is lying, or God is lying and i'm not about to call the creator a liar.

hmm, this is in genesis 1 "God moved upon the face of the waters." this in biblical terms "moved upon" means "copulated with" so, that's kind of weird.......

Well according to mainstream science all life began in the oceans, and it is out of the oceans everything else evolved from.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by blocula

it got its water fromt he same place every other body in the universe got its water: from the combination of hydrogen and oxygen! These are incredibly common elements. They are every where, and whenever they are in an environment that allows them to become free moving and airborne they will collide and combine to create water. If it is a cold planet or moon, they form ice. if it is warm like here, they form water, on venus it is probably steam, but face it, water can exist absolutely anywhere in the universe. the needed elements are just far too common. I dont think there is anything special about water - though I think we are lucky that the temps here on earth allowed it to stick around and not evaporate or freeze on us....yet!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
First :

The Earth is flat theory... Really was a load of BS . A Greek guy called Eratosthenes, ( link) calculated the earth diameter at such a precise number it's unbelievable all the way back in 255 years Before Christ.

Flat Earth is an idea from some very stupid people or a great ruling organization... Oh great ? Ignorant at the least actually.

Second:
As for God created evil ? Read Isaiah 45 : 7 I assume a bible is close at hand for those who left that part out when they were cherry picking.

Third:
Water was already on the Earth and didn't form later with oxygen.

You see... The first organisms were from the seas and the Earths atmosphere only got oxygen in it after it was product as a waste product from biological processes that were taking place in lifeforms.

Then again the Moon came from an event that liquefied the earth so water would be from after that event.

The old stories tell about water from below that flood the world mostly not from the skies.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
hmm im no scientist but 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom.
hyrdrogen the most common element in our galaxy, oxygen a heavier element most likely from an older star during a supernova.
the hotter the temperature the heavier the elements a star produces. supernovas produce alot of heavier gasses.
the crab nebula is filled with oxygen.
to sum up. water didnt come FROM any where but was created from the base elements that were produced from stars.
edit on 18-9-2011 by listerofsmeg because: spelling, crap nebula lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join