It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin Has Not Survived Perihelion...Or Has It?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

True, fear mongering at its worst, or best....I just check it out for the quake updates, they are legit in their reporting of quakes...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nitro67

You see, thats just a terrible youtube vid.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

"know, Comet Elenin has begun the irreversible process of breaking up." replace "know" with "guess". Also, the scientists would sorely luv to see the doomandgloomers leave. no comet: no issue.
Tizz important to put that perceptual lens on their statements.

another fact on comet Elenin:

It's the ONLY known long duration comet in the plane of the ecliptic (which means we have no prior knowledge). Here's a question: if you take a nonhomogeneous spherical mixture of masses and spin it, which parts end up on the equator/ecliptic?

the heavy bits.

"Now it is absolutely clear that the comet’s drop in brightness, first noted by Michael Mattiazzo on Aug. 20th, was not coincidental"

well no #: it got hit by an enormously energetic plume of ionized gases and high velocity particles. Let me as another question: what happens when you take a hazy cloud of mostly quite water vapor, small hydocarbons and hydrogen sulfide and blow on it with a CME?

u cause a bright flash as the gases in the coma react to itself and the ionized solar wind and then u blow it away. It (the gas cloud) becomes longer and more diffuse until it finally dissipates.

possibly leaving behind a large chunk of magnetically active iron?

i mean seriously! the odds of a 12k yr comet encountering a solar flare?? Easier to believe that a very fast ball of iron traveling thru the sun's currently chaotic field INDUCED it.

no?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Who cares if it has or not? It's a comet. It will do what all comets do, and no, we are not in danger, and no, it's not causing earthquakes. Why people would think something that tiny would cause earthquakes, while other bodies with MUCH greater gravity in our solar system do not baffles me. It's a comet folks. Broke apart.. didn't break apart.. either way has little bearing on our lives.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Thank you for saying that, my sentiments exactly! Its a insignificant comet in a large universe. Let it be.. Its sad this little comet has gotten all this much attention due to doomers.
edit on 19-9-2011 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Elenin is the sun.
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief,
That thou her maid art far more fair than she:
Be not her maid, since she is envious;
Her vestal livery is but sick and green
And none but fools do wear it; cast it off.
It is my lady, O, it is my love!

After doing a fair review of all the sources...I've come to a conclusion. In my opinion, Elenin has "disintegrated" or broken apart. I'll take Mattiazzo's word on this, based on his experience and my readings.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

While these elenin threads are indeed interesting..hasn't it disintegrated??or should I go back to working on my b.o.b.
Thank you

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanoidX

should I go back to working on my b.o.b.

Finish it bro, it's never bad to have one lying around "just in case"

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have to say, my english is not the best in the world, and its one explenation. Im Norwegian!

Like your thread! I must say a couple of things; Cloaking.. separation..

Either cloaking or the so-called comet is just a big ``big complition??`` of smaller ships that is separiting from the mothership.

Why all this coverup if its already coming this way!? We're al going to feel this eventually.

Or are the governments hoping that this will just fly by unnoticed?

Ive been lurking around this forum for years, but there is NEVER one single answer! Only new questions popping up in my head. But dont get me wrong. It has nothing to do with the theadmasters or any of you guys, you're all great. But im sure many of you share my frustration :-P

Sorry for off-topic

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
If you don't have Stellarium I suggest you get it. It's not hard to import Elenin's orbital characteristics from the Minor Planet Center. If you do this, set your location for Texas at 4 AM on September 2. Then do a search for C/2010 X1. If you do this you will see that what is photographed here couldn't possibly be Comet Elenin as it wouldn't rise for at least another four hours.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure the fellow who made the video is in Australia mate.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by LightAssassin

He's uploaded A LOT of videos. He seems to have found Elenin plenty of times before. I'm glad we're arguing over semantics. We couldn't possibly discuss the fact Elenin may still be whole.

Five year olds post videos on YouTube, that doesn't mean they're qualified to interpret astrophotography. As I have pointed out, seasoned astronomers are of the opinion that comet Elenin is breaking up. The guy on YouTube has no idea what he's doing. Seriously, did I miss the part where he explains what each filter does and why it alters the image? He doesn't even know how to stack the images to produce a false color image! Now, is it possible that the comet's brightness has been decreasing rather than increasing because of some other factor, yes, of course its possible. One thing is clear, though, the data reported on the MPC page shows that multiple independent observers confirm that its dimming. That said, if the dimming is not caused by Elenin physically breaking up, what, in your opinion, is the cause of the dimming?

I can think of more than a few.
The object is currently moving further from us (earth.)
The proximity to the sun, and other sources of light pollution.
Location of the observer themselves. (this one is a shot at the observers themselves.)
Isn't it possible that this comet, that has been estimated to be fairly large, could have many surfaces perhaps the angle at which one of it's surfaces is facing isn't reflecting light towards us (earth.) I've heard many people claim Elenin is an E-class object ( comet ? Asteroid ? ) Now, I don't know for sure on this one, but what I've read of E-class comets/asteroids aren't they kind of a polygon or diamondish shape ? Usually, metalic or crystalline ? I'm not a scientist or astronomer just regurgitating information. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reasons I've listed make plenty of sense to me. On the idea of the surface angled away from us, it would direct the suns light away, appearing dimmer. Especially if on it's approach to the sun, it was angled in a way it reflected more light towards us, if it rotated or shifted in any way it would appear to dim would it not ? Everyone always says to use Logic, and to explore all the logical possibilities, it doesn't make sense an object that is supposed to be HUGE, and has been claimed to be Metallic/Stone/Minerals/crystalline a space ship even by some would suddenly disintegrate. If I'm not mistaken it's supposed to pass close to the sun, but not so close it would be absorbed or completely destroyed. If it is Metallic/stone/mineral/crystalline I would imagine it could melt, or heat up to extreme temperatures, but it would simply harden back up before it passed Earth again. After all, it's not just going to disappear. Matter is matter, even if it melts it's still a very large mass moving through space. Broken into pieces, a huge chunk what ever. Who's to say passing the sun won't heat up what ever the little pieces are, then as it whips around the sun, becomes compressed and as it moves away from the sun again, solidifies into a very large chunk once more.
Hey, just going with the doomsayer vibe as of late, who's to say it doesn't turn into a giant Earth piercing spike ha ha.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by galactix

In fairness to almost all the reports they DO state a lot of 'may', 'maybe', 'assume'. There is no definite yet, hence this counter-thread.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

The purpose of this thread is to throw up the question of evidence to the 'accepted' knowledge. That is, that the comet has not been confirmed as having disintegrated, but has a higher possibility that it has.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

You are mistaken. He clearly states in the video he is in Texas. He uses Global-rent-a-scope. But, this issue has been sorted and edited into the OP.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

What you are attempting to discuss is rehashed info from the Elenin US Navy Space Command info. Use the search function and go to that thread to discuss it. When we have no proof except a man stating he's travelled TO Elenin it gets a little hard to discuss the topic. Please discuss it elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

The object is currently moving further from us (earth.)

In fact, it is moving closer; hence the rising panic.

The proximity to the sun, and other sources of light pollution.

Its proximity to the Sun is making it impossible to observe for a while, but that was not a factor in its dimming. Astronometric readings are taken relative to nearby stars of known magnitude. Any "light pollution" would affect them equally.

Location of the observer themselves. (this one is a shot at the observers themselves.)

See above.

Isn't it possible that this comet, that has been estimated to be fairly large, could have many surfaces perhaps the angle at which one of it's surfaces is facing isn't reflecting light towards us (earth.)

Actually, the comet is quite small. It was visible chiefly because of its coma, which is a cloud of gas that appears when the Sun heats up the frozen ices in the nucleus. Its dimming suggests that Elenin has literally run out of gas.

I've heard many people claim Elenin is an E-class object ( comet ? Asteroid ? )

You have heard wrong. The rumor that Elenin is an "E Class" body started when someone claiming to be a star pilot for the US Navy Space Command used it as a bit of scienterrific color. His posts included claims that the Navy has traveled to stars fifty lightyears away and culminated, probably by another hand, in a climactic scene from "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace." Seriously. He claimed to be tweeting from a plenary meeting of The Alliance, where Earth was voted out!

Now, I don't know for sure on this one, but what I've read of E-class comets/asteroids aren't they kind of a polygon or diamondish shape ? Usually, metalic or crystalline ?

No, just the opposite. Although they are characterized by a higher albedo than other achondrite asteroids, they are poor in ferrous minerals.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NorwegianTruthHunter

Well, we have info. We have, what we can call it, proof, if we trust the dozens of astronomers who have viewed this comet.

IF it IS a spaceship, well, only time will tell.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by DJW001

Yes, one who is building his own observatory

Although building his own observatory is super cool & shows a ton of initiative; "on the job", self taught, laymen understandings of astronomy don't cut it. I'm not trying to slander this guy. There is a reason it takes years of study & a PhD to be taken seriously in astronomy. It's not easy. Would you be comfortable with a dentist's assistant filling your cavities or diagnosing an oral disease? Of course you wouldn't. There's a reason a doctor is a doctor and a layperson (although bright & observant) is a layperson.

I appreciate your evidence to the contrary, and, indeed, it is evidence. Unfortunately, the source of the evidence does merit scrutiny. The source is a single amateur, picking it up, as he goes. No offense intended to you, or him.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SlightlyAbovePar

Most of the people observing this are amateurs. Mattiazzo is an amateur. Even Leonid Elenin is an amateur. That's one of the great things about having astronomy as a hobby, even if you don't have a PhD you can actively contribute to the field.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So, you're tellin' me the UFO decloaked itself again?? Geez, will these aliens make up their minds!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join