It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin Has Not Survived Perihelion...Or Has It?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by favouriteslave

Originally posted by OnWhiteMars
Please somebody with more knowledge, guide me through my dilemma. I'm not ashamed to admit that I have been intrigued by this hype that a long-distance visitor named Elenin has triggered. It's been a nice ride and by filtering out the most outrageous, over the top claims, I've even learned a lot regarding mythology, history, astronomy and so on... There's a certain void in me that has been filled with excitement because of a possible major class event. At the end of the day, a plain 'only facts' -day is far more duller than one with imagination in it.

My dilemma is: I understand that the comet (nucleus) itself may not have survived perihelion, and has faded enough to not be visible in SOHO. But however, please explain to me what happened with the tail, full of debris. Shouldn't it be visible to some degree? Or was it blown away by a CME?

I'm wondering the same thing. Also why does JPL small body data still show it on track? Is it there or not? If it's gone, why not say it's gone. I've been to JPL and NASA site and cannot find anywhere saying that it's gone. Has there been an official announcement or is it the comet that just "disappeared"

C/2009 O1 started disintegrating on or before March 12, 2010, as observed by amateurs who were watching it. JPL still shows its orbit, which includes astrometric observations as late as March 31st. They don't delete the orbital data just because it disintegrated, it will remain up there indefinitely regardless. When a comet disintegrates the material it was composed of disperses along the original orbit over time, and as it disperses it becomes more diffuse and more difficult to observe until finally nothing can be seen.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
If you want to know if a comet has disintegrated or not, amateur astronomers are generally the best source to go to since we keep close tabs on every comet currently visible, much moreso than even professional astronomers do. Amateurs are generally the first to report on a comet's demise.
edit on 26-9-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

Thank you ngchunter for your clarifying answer. Anyways, I understand it disperses along the original orbit, but the time frame in this case was stunningly small for a total disappearance. Thou, my knowledge is too limited to make that assumption

edit on 26-9-2011 by OnWhiteMars because: Misread ngchunters answer and added a stupid follow-up question...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The pictures in the article you posted do not even look light the same spot in space. There are no identifying stars to show it is the same area.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Good afternoon, everyone.

This is Francis. I did a search for my name on ATS and this post showed the highest results. I think I read most of the posts, but admittedly, I may have missed the most important one.

It appears that no one is going to know until we pick it up again in the sky. Comet Elenin is already past the Sun and moving away. I will personally be manning a Global Rent a Scope telescope every morning from that date on to catch Comet Elenin rising before the Sun in the East.

I do not know what I will find but I will report what I find. I may find nothing. But I may find what I left on September 2nd too. On September 2nd I took pictures which showed me one item, one nucleus, on multiple frames. The difference from what I saw to what M.M. was showing me was obvious and so my interpretation was different and remains even after M.M. has taken images well after my last set.

I suppose the next important piece of information from me would be when I have those images. I will show them to you of course. I apologize in advance for the quality of the film and for the narrator's demeanor and grace.

Francis

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePerfectMinds

Wow Francis, you sort of showed up just like ELE-nin did!

It took me a moment to realize what it was you were saying, I linked back to your first posting where you announced that you were the creator of this video:

This video was posted in this thread: Latest Telescope Images of Elenin--ATS Thread 07/13/11

On page 2 you included a new video to help explain: here is that video:

You say in this posting on this thread that you will be doing another video as soon as you are able to capture more of ELE-nin (my personal preference based on not confusing the person with the comet). I hope you didn't mind the recap and I do hope by adding these here it will help the readers know where you are coming from and what it is that you wanted to share with us.

Let me say, "Thank you", your work is appreciated and I look forward to follow-up videos as they come!

My belief is that ELE-nin is the Blue Star Kachina which only was meant to send us a "Message" about the Red Star Kachina that is on its way. Likely on the same trajectory considering the coincidences of tectonic movement followed by the alignment dates.

Glad to have you on-board here at ATS!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePerfectMinds
Comet Elenin is already past the Sun and moving away. I will personally be manning a Global Rent a Scope telescope every morning from that date on to catch Comet Elenin rising before the Sun in the East.

Given the altitude limits on the various GRAS scopes and Elenin's proximity to the sun, how exactly are you going to capture Elenin anytime in the immediate future using a GRAS scope?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I guess I'm hoping that I will. I say hope because I do not know yet for sure which telescopes will be able to see it. Once I get closer to that date I will begin to insert the coordinates and the telescopes will tell me what I can and cannot do. It will be the same process I started with that will bring me through.

I'm not running from the fact I am no body special. Anybody could have done what I did. No one directed me what to do, yet it happened the way it did. I Appreciate the added posts. I hope that I have another opportunity to play a part in the Comet Elenin story. There are more objects to see out there and I will move to them as we approach those dates too.

Francis

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePerfectMinds

Hey Francis

If you are indeed him, thankyou for visiting.

I hope that observatory is coming along well.

Don't mind DJW, he thinks you are merely a guy in a Jack Daniels cap....

Ok, he kind of re-negged on that judgement given I pointed out you debunked Terral and AstralPatriot.

rgds
LightAssassin
edit on 28-9-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It is me.

This morning it was October 3rd. I woke up in Texas at about 5:15AM to man GRAS-011 located in Mayhill, New Mexico. When it is 5:15AM in Texas, it is 4:15AM in New Mexico.

Comet Elenin rises before the Sun, due East, about 30 minutes before the Sun does (approximately 5:30AM sunrise). Comet Elenin did not get high enough in the sky for the telescope to slew to it before the Sunlight was too strong and the observatory closed for the day.

I think the 10th of October will be the earliest to get the comet back in the GRAS scopes. I will try every morning until it is high enough and I can get my next series of images. I do not know what I will find. When I saw it last (Sept. 2), I saw one piece. That is why I continue to say one piece. I will report what I find when I take new images.

At about 5AM in New Mexico, Comet Elenin was located at (according to the International Astronomical Union), RA 11:30:54, DEC +07:03:55

Francis Walsh

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Hi,

No-one cares about this stupid comet anymore. ATS has moved on to financial doom in earnest now that the world will not physically end.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Logman

Thanks for that $0.02

Made me laugh though.
edit on 4-10-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Here's a stupid question. If Elenin is no more, why does the NASA JPL Small Body Database Browser still have an orbit diagram for Elenin? Just checking.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

For the same reason that C/1999 S4 (LINEAR) is still shown on the database, I suppose.

cometography.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
So the consensus is that C/X2011, aka as Elenin, has disintegrated? Some one please update....

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

It should have been visible in SOHO imagery for about a week beginning September 23. It was a no show. Pretty good indication it went poof.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Could you spell out the reason please? I'm not being facetious. Just want an answer. I'm not making any kind of argument, just asking for an answer.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Take your pick.

Hit by a CME.
Too close to the Sun.
US Navy Space Command shot it to pieces.
It's merely cloaked now.
It never existed.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Any comet (or other object) which was ever in the database remains in the database. Even Shoemaker-Levy 9 which clobbered Jupiter in 1994.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Take your pick.

Hit by a CME.
Too close to the Sun.
US Navy Space Command shot it to pieces.
It's merely cloaked now.
It never existed.

My question was "Why is it still shown (with an orbit diagram extending into the future) in the JP Small Body Database if it disintegrated?".

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Ooops. Sorry. Phage has nailed that answer.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Any comet (or other object) which was ever in the database remains in the database. Even Shoemaker-Levy 9 which clobbered Jupiter in 1994.

"Any comet (or other object) which was ever in the database remains in the database because_________________"

Please fill in the blank.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join