It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7th Day Adventist Church, What is It, and is there Anything Interesting about it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I read a post on this forum where someone mentioned going to a church which happened to be of this denomination which I am a member of though I have not actually gone in probably six months. I do know something about it though, being born into a family which had been involved in this denomination and still is.
I am not some sort of spokesman for it nor do I have any interest in persuading anyone to join it. I could enter into what I may hope would be a knowledgeable and at the same time objective discussion concerning it.
edit on 18-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
what is the difference to catholicism ?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Saturday Sabbath. They are also deep into the interpretation of prophecy. This video is a good example. They have predicted the coming of Jesus several times in the churches history. Lately, they have avoided this. Their interpretation of prophecy is interesting to me. Especially this particular video series. Kenneth Cox is a very educated man and well spoken.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
what is the difference to catholicism ?
That Jesus is the priest in a spiritual temple, so there is no need for men being priests on earth dispensing forgiveness.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Saturday Sabbath. They are also deep into the interpretation of prophecy. This video is a good example. They have predicted the coming of Jesus several times in the churches history. Lately, they have avoided this. Their interpretation of prophecy is interesting to me. Especially this particular video series. Kenneth Cox is a very educated man and well spoken.
The Seventh Day Adventist Church never predicted the second coming. There were people who did, long before the church came into existence. Some of the founders of the SDA Church were people who heard this prediction and decided to look into the second coming. They decided that what is currently going on is a judgement in heaven, where it starts with the earliest people (professed followers of God, the unbelievers to be considered later) and works though them until eventually it gets to people who are still alive. Whenever that happens (or comes to a completion), then it would only be a matter of hours before Jesus appears in the heavens, in full view of the inhabitants of Earth.

The video you linked to is an officially sanctioned sort of publication so there is nothing which would be heretical in the view of the SDA Church.

The church does promote the seventh day Sabbath, and consider Sunday to be a later adaptation promoted by people such as Emperor Constantine.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
In recent years, the SDA church has produced and published its own translation of the Bible, which surely is biased to support that church's doctrinal positions. It comes under various titles, but is basically called The Clear Word. That, in my view, elevates (if that is the correct word) the SDA church to cultdom. Further, the writings of the SDA "founding" prophetess, E.G. White, have also been worked over. Hang around long enough, and you begin to hear the rumor, "Don't you know that the old editions of her books are different?" One SDA speaker even stated boldly in a meeting I attended that, "Somewhere in the archives of [the SDA church] is the Spirit of Prophecy!" I say this as a former member - I studied my way into it, and then I studied my way out of it.

You all may find it of interest that the SDA church, at a national meeting many years ago, voted DOWN the doctrine of salvation by Grace through faith. In fairness, I should say that many Adventists probably believe in that doctrine, nevertheless.
edit on 18-9-2011 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

edit on 18-9-2011 by Lazarus Short because: doooooooooo

edit on 18-9-2011 by Lazarus Short because: dum-de-dum

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
As was said the main difference is church on Saturday. I mean as far as Adventists are concerned the bible said God rested on the seventh day.

4th commandment:
"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

Keep in mind Monday is the first day of our work week. Sunday is the first day of a full week.

Other than that I believe they only do communion once a month or something like that. I don't remember how much exactly but I know it's far from weekly. Diet is also a big thing in the SDA church. Basically no pork, no shell fish no fish without scales and I think no animals without cloven hooves( like cows). The reason is the animals are believed to be unclean(usually bottom feeders and scavengers). While meat is allowed vegetarians and vegans are everywhere in the church. To them meat was something to eaten when nothing else was around. Don't quote me on this but I think they said God allowed man to eat meat after the big flood b/c of lack of food.

My mother(50+ vegan) has been a member for over 3/4ths of her life so naturally I was raised a Seventh Day Adventist so I'm speaking from memory but I stopped going about 5 or 6 years ago(26 now) I didn't like being told what to believe. The indoctrination bored me. But that is not limited to Adventists. That's pretty much standard across the board.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have watched this church for several years. Many of its members have television programs that are shown on a local station in my area. They spend a lot of time convincing their members that the Catholic Church is the "anti-christ". They present some powerful evidence of this. I am not going to include that evidence here, but a simple google search will produce lots of results.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
In recent years, the SDA church has produced and published its own translation of the Bible, which surely is biased to support that church's doctrinal positions. It comes under various titles, but is basically called The Clear Word. That, in my view, elevates (if that is the correct word) the SDA church to cultdom. Further, the writings of the SDA "founding" prophetess, E.G. White, have also been worked over. Hang around long enough, and you begin to hear the rumor, "Don't you know that the old editions of her books are different?" One SDA speaker even stated boldly in a meeting I attended that, "Somewhere in the archives of [the SDA church] is the Spirit of Prophecy!" I say this as a former member - I studied my way into it, and then I studied my way out of it.

You all may find it of interest that the SDA church, at a national meeting many years ago, voted DOWN the doctrine of salvation by Grace through faith. In fairness, I should say that many Adventists probably believe in that doctrine, nevertheless.
edit on 18-9-2011 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

edit on 18-9-2011 by Lazarus Short because: doooooooooo

edit on 18-9-2011 by Lazarus Short because: dum-de-dum

I've read the majority of the bible and skimmed through their new version. It's basically the same. The stories are the same the language is modern. They are Nothing like a cult. Though I'm not an active member I still kinda find that insulting. It's such a diverse community. Sorry but you are way off base with some of your comments.

As time progresses E. G. White is not stressed as much as she was 20-30 years ago. She may be mentioned here and there but she is no longer pushed on anyone. But some of the older members may still romanticize her. What exactly are you saying she founded?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
I have watched this church for several years. Many of its members have television programs that are shown on a local station in my area. They spend a lot of time convincing their members that the Catholic Church is the "anti-christ". They present some powerful evidence of this. I am not going to include that evidence here, but a simple google search will produce lots of results.
That was the protestant view back in the day. The Pope is the anti-christ, that is not an SDA invention but just an adoption of what was generally held within Protestantism a hundred and fifty years ago. Officially, the SDA church governing body or whatever, backed away from that probably eighty years ago but you have some of the same sort of things as in Mormonism, where you have some churches that get heavily into Joseph Smith. There are a lot of SDA people who have decided that old is better, and if the SDA believed it back then, it is good enough for them now, or some such philosophy. My point is that the main denominational government of the church does not use a heavy hand on the individual congregations to keep them up on current official positions by the leading SDA scholars.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

. . .It comes under various titles, but is basically called The Clear Word.
I am aware that there is such a thing. I have heard its existence brought up in church but never have seen a copy of it as in an actual book. I have never heard anyone quote from it. I have never heard anyone claim that they thought it was in any way superior to an otherwise ordinary Bible. Maybe there is something going with it but I would consider it an isolated phenomenon. I am sure if anyone is interested in it, they could probably find something on the internet about it.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Further, the writings of the SDA "founding" prophetess, E.G. White, have also been worked over. Hang around long enough, and you begin to hear the rumor, "Don't you know that the old editions of her books are different?" One SDA speaker even stated boldly in a meeting I attended that, "Somewhere in the archives of [the SDA church] is the Spirit of Prophecy!" I say this as a former member - I studied my way into it, and then I studied my way out of it.
Mrs. White did not found the church and never claimed to be a prophet. She did write a lot of books or books were published with her name as the author. Most likely she dictated what she wanted written to a secretary who did the actual writing. She had an extensive library and was well read so a lot of what went into her books were her take on things she read. A lot of books are just compilations of things she wrote in various letters.
There were definitely changes in some books and most notably the one called, The Great Controversy, including its title. It toned down a lot of the anti-Catholic rhetoric and backed away from the idea of the Pope being the antichrist. These were done in her lifetime and with her approval. There are stupid rumors and fake letters supposedly by her but is just criminal attempts by some people to make a profit.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
We've got one of those bibles around here somewhere I looked but didn't find it. I'll keep an eye out. If I find it I'll be more than happy to post some quotes.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

There is no official creed for the church so if they voted down making one, then it does not matter what the creed may or may not have been. People like to get conspiratorial and it is better not to get cught up in foolish speculation.
You could say what it was that turned you away from the church. Don't worry about offending me because I have an almost neutral stand on it. Like I said, it is the religion of birth to me but I have yet to find another that I would want to switch to. I think the best thing it has going for it is that it does not have a creed.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ScRuFFy63

I didn't like being told what to believe. The indoctrination bored me. But that is not limited to Adventists. That's pretty much standard across the board.
I'm in my mid to late fifties and I can look back on my own indoctrination and feel it was pretty light, really. There are those elements you mentioned but pretty easy to take compared to what you might get in other churches. I did feel a bit uneasy bringing up my religion in school for the same reason no kid wants to seen different. So there was no real rebellion against what I was told but my brother had a problem with it, being into football which is played on Friday nights. Somehow he got his way, anyway, so there you go, they don't believe in disowning their own children over doctrine.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ScRuFFy63

As time progresses E. G. White is not stressed as much as she was 20-30 years ago. She may be mentioned here and there but she is no longer pushed on anyone. But some of the older members may still romanticize her. What exactly are you saying she founded?
I can remember the people who were old back in the early sixties who were big on E. G. White. Basically all those old timers died out by the seventies, the ones who had grown up back when there was a brief time after her death where people idolized her a bit and equated her writings with scripture. If you actually read her letters it is just really friendly general advise to people who asked her for help. I could give an example. A young woman has a young child who dies. She grieves and then falls ill herself and dies. Her survivors are sad and she writes and says don't feel sad for them because she is with her child and with Jesus. Now here is a load of fuel to make a whole bunch of doctrine on if one was so inclined. Well people are not that stupid and just take it as a nice thing to say to this stricken family.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thanks for creating this thread, I will stay up on it with great interest. While I only know a small bit of this Church's history I have found that for myself- it is the closest thing I have found that practices the Christian belief system in a manner (based solely on my interpretation of my own Bible reading) I feel comfortable with.

I strongly believe the Sabbath is the 7th day of the week. I have had various Christians strive to show or PROVE to me how and where and why Jesus changed the Sabbath, however each person has almost 100% of the time used the same scripture to support the claim. I can not recall at this minute which scripture it was but to read it standing alone the gist of it is merely that Jesus and some friends got together on Sunday for a meal and discussed God well into Monday evening. When I back up and read the whole chapter, never once did I see any indication Jesus was instructing change of any kind involving the Sabbath. The way I perceived what I was reading is that respecting, teaching and discussing God should not be confined to the Sabbath ONLY.

Personally I am not embracing this denomination for I am pretty opposed to organized religion as a whole. Like anything else under the sun, most things begin sincerely and with good intention, given time and growth though....most any kind of group becomes corrupt and more about power and prestige than principle. This Church has gone through such times I think, yet they still have a semblance of what I believe to be true Christianity. This is purely my opinion of course.

I personally like to keep things simple and as fair as possible. I strive to keep my foundation strong, no matter what aspect of life I am dealing with. For me, this church has done a pretty good job of keeping the original core and basic values of what I believe Christianity started out with. Jesus was not a Catholic as some Catholic Dogma implies. This is not a bash at Catholicism, just an observation from some of my reading.

As I saw in some previous posts on this thread regarding diet, I think that again this Church has done well. I read a book once called God's Key to Health and Happiness which showed much modern evidence to support the original food laws God set forth for human beings. I found it a great read and a real eye opener. While I do not strictly follow said laws I do strive to stick pretty close to them, except shrimp which I LOVE! LOL

My point being, I like the idea of having a strong and proven IDEAL to strive for and look to when making choices. I believe in moderation often being the key, so if I stay away from most of the foods known to not be the best for humans, when I do fudge...doing so in moderation...accepting I am not perfect and there are OFTEN exceptions to rules that aren't earth shattering.

Seventh Day Adventists certainly aren't alone in a belief the Catholic Church is Mystery Babylon and such. While I use to find this more believable in the past, these days if I had to choose a group with the qualifying criteria to be the group that will evolve into a one world religion I look at Islam. I am no more anti-Muslim than I am anti-Catholic, but as I see how current events are taking place, this is my concern about much of the growing problems in more and more countries in the western world.

I doubt I will ever completely embrace any denomination as I firmly believe Karma will ALWAYS run over Dogma! I will keep many of my beliefs and some of my practices to myself while interacting with others at Church, when I go. I know many Christians of all the denominations would consider some of my practices witchcraft etc etc etc (amusingly I have yet to find a Wiccan or a Witch who would agree). This point is actually the main reason I walked away from Christianity for many many yrs. I never stopped believing in much of the things I learned in 'Church about God, I just think far too much has been changed over the centuries that most Christians refuse to consider or accept as historical fact.

My personal goal is to enrich and strengthen my personal relationship with God, as *I* understand Him. For I do believe in the coming Revelation. As I watch the news these days I find more things taking place that seem signals to me so I intend to be as prepared as possible, and of course firmly plant myself on the right *side*.

When I was younger and still raising children such things terrified me as I looked down at those little faces looking up to me in total trust. Now, as a grandmother I see things a bit different and I am not so afraid, and yet I have a clear understanding of the pressures my grown children are dealing with and I want to help them. The best way I can think of to help them raise their children is to be a stable oasis of knowledge and example.

I know I need others for support and comfort, as well as inspiration. At the moment this is the group I am looking to for getting these needs met.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

The Seventh Day Adventist Church never predicted the second coming. There were people who did, long before the church came into existence. Some of the founders of the SDA Church were people who heard this prediction and decided to look into the second coming. They decided that what is currently going on is a judgement in heaven, where it starts with the earliest people (professed followers of God, the unbelievers to be considered later) and works though them until eventually it gets to people who are still alive. Whenever that happens (or comes to a completion), then it would only be a matter of hours before Jesus appears in the heavens, in full view of the inhabitants of Earth.

The video you linked to is an officially sanctioned sort of publication so there is nothing which would be heretical in the view of the SDA Church.

The church does promote the seventh day Sabbath, and consider Sunday to be a later adaptation promoted by people such as Emperor Constantine.

Right. I think it was the Millerites who originated the SDA church.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinaed

Though I am not trying to promote church membership I have to admit to doing it myself. I probably rationalize it by telling myself I do it so as to not make my other family members unhappy. But I realize that being a church member is important to a lot of people so if it is something to be done, I would not want to discourage anyone from joining this one in particular.
I spent a lot of time and energy going over the Sunday vs, Saturday thing and did not find a convincing argument that the early Christians kept Sunday. When you go that far back and look at the documents, you find a very annoying ambiguity in language to where you can not come to a certain conclusion one way or the other. I decided to think what I had been doing all along was good enough for me and not to harass others who may practice differently in regards to what day they regard as set aside.
I pretty much hold to the dietary prohibitions and never cultivated a taste for those forbidden things, making it easy for me to stay away from.
I think there are fundamental concepts the church holds to that I still feel are important, such as the importance of being good and an example in your life of what a Christian is and that is the way Protestantism believed back in the times of America before the Civil War.
ETA: I am guessing you are Irish from your screen name. My sister is married to the nephew of a Irish Catholic Bishop, and goes back to Ireland to visit her husband's family, from time to time.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Right. I think it was the Millerites who originated the SDA church.
It was some people who came through the whole Millerite episode in 1844. They were ones who decided Jesus would return eventually but just when is not to be determined by us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join