It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Try smokeless nicotine cigarettes, says government (UK)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Try smokeless nicotine cigarettes, says government (UK)

www.guardian.co.uk

The government's "nudge unit" wants to encourage the use of smokeless nicotine cigarettes, banned in many countries around the world, in an attempt to reduce the numbers killed in the UK by smoking diseases each year.
The Cabinet Office's behavioural insight team – better known as the nudge unit – wants to adopt the new technology because policy officials believe the rigid "quit or die" approach to smoking advice no longer works. Rather, they want nicotine addiction to be managed -
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: Edit

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Yes, This article is about Electronic Cigarettes. The UK is now going to embrace use of Electronic Cigarettes with open arms.

The article goes on to say,

Rather, they want nicotine addiction to be managed to help smokers who otherwise won't quit – an approach the unit believes could prevent millions of smoking deaths. Ten million people in the UK smoke, and smoking claims 80,000 lives a year.

The nudge unit's first annual report, published on Thursday, says the unit – the first of its kind around the world – has, in the face of criticism, implemented a series of measures they believe could save thousands of lives a year, as well as £100m over the course of the next parliament.

AND

Now the unit wants to explore and encourage new products that deliver nicotine to people's lungs but without the harmful toxins and carcinogens in tobacco smoke that kill.

AND

But experts have advised the UK government that the nicotine contained in some new, smoke-free cigarettes is no more harmful than caffeine in coffee. A Cabinet Office source said: "A lot of countries are moving to ban this stuff; we think that's a mistake."

There is still much more to read from the Source Link.

Echoing and applauding the U.K.'s decision is The American Council on Science and Health which says,

Finally a bit of sound science and common sense seems to be percolating from an official governmental agency — unfortunately, not in our country. The U.K.'s Cabinet level “behavioral insight team,” better known as the “nudge unit,” is encouraging the use of smokeless nicotine cigarettes to help addicted smokers quit, thus hoping to prevent tens of thousands of smoking-related deaths among Britons. Published on Thursday, the unit's first annual report states: “If alternative and safe nicotine products can be developed which are attractive enough to substitute people away from traditional cigarettes, they could have the potential to save 10,000s of lives a year.”

In fact, the nicotine levels present in some new, smoke-free cigarettes — called e-cigarettes, for “electronic” — are no more harmful than the amount of caffeine found in coffee, health experts stated. Currently, the U.K.'s Medicine and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency is in the process of determining whether to exempt e-cigarettes from the strict regulations imposed on drugs. If approved, the regulation change will likely push the government to prominently feature the products in tobacco shops.

The unit's report focuses mostly on e-cigarettes, since other smokeless tobacco products, such as Snus, are illegal in the U.K., points out ACSH's Dr. Gilbert Ross. “Nevertheless, their pro-harm reduction stance took me quite by surprise.” He adds, “This is hopeful news and allows us to believe that even our government, which continues to adhere to a the rigid ‘quit or die’ approach to tobacco and nicotine addiction, can learn a lesson from our friends across the Atlantic.”

Source: www.acsh.org...

I think this is a huge step in the right direction. I bet a lot of FDA folks and Big Tobacco are crapping in their pants just now. LOL

You can read the full article linked above and get the full Nudge Government Report via PDF here: www.e-cigarette-forum.com... ange-insight-team-annual-update.pdf

( Yeah I cheated, I added a couple more snippets, this news is not under 48 hours but is 4 days old but it is in keeping with "topics that related to the "conspiracy theory" and "alternative topics" themes of the AboveTopSecret.com forums." so I figured 2 out of 3 wasn't bad.. besides no one has posted it and there is not a place for regular alternative news that is Not "breaking" that I could find. Mods please move it if you have to but I'm hoping you'll go easy on me.)

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: Edit

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Comment: I would rather a nicotine-less "cigarette".

Question: Why was this banned in many countries?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

ahaha what a joke
i love the whole cigarette issue. perfect example of shifting the attention onto something pointless
the problem is the chemicals not the smoke

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
But how will I blow smoke rings then UK Gov?? You know what the best feeling was... sitting in a smoke filled pub pint in hand watching the football.... BUT THAT WAS JUST A DREAM THOSE DAYS ARE GONE!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Because government profits from nictotine sales and it helps population control

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by camouflaged

Because government profits from nictotine sales and it helps population control

Oh...so they were like "lets make a law against this invention which helps save lives". I highly doubt that's how it went down. I am thinking there is some sort of conspiracy here. As in they are unsafe to use or something.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
ChaoticOrder - The truth is it is banned in many countries out of fear, ignorance, Politics and Money - E-cigs take away from Big Pharma and Big Tobacco sales. There are many deep real conspiracies involved with this issue.

The Idea for many of using an Electronic Cigarette is to have a good way to wean yourself down off of the nicotine that is more comfortable to use and works better than Nicotine Replacement Products or the user can just continiue to use nicotine if they choose, as it's not very harmful at all compared to tobacco cigarettes.

Many people do use a No Nicotine Electronic Cigarette. You can use as little nicotine as you like or have the amount of nicotine found in a full strength cigarette.

UniverSoul - Actually it IS the smoke AND all of the chemicals found in burning tobacco. ( over 4000 in all many cancer causing agents) Electronic Cigarettes (E-cigs) have none of these things except Nicotine which is not a cancer causing agent nor does it cause heart or lung disease. E-cigs do not produce smoke at all only a vapor.

R3N3G4D3 - Vaping looks like smoking but it isn't. I blow big rings of thick white fluffy vapor all the time. Using an e-cig feels like smoking looks like smoking but without all the harm burning tobacco cigarettes can cause.
edit on 18-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: SP

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I am in the U.S.A and have just switched back to E-Cigarette's.

Warning: for about a week after you completely quit regular cigarettes you will cough up a frightening amount of discolored phlem. Then suddenly most people I've known find that their useage drops.

I was smoking almost a pack a day. In E-Cigg terms that is about a cartrige per day (or 250-300 puffs) and that's where I was when I switched over to my E-Cigg. In just under two weeks I am taking about 20-40 puffs per day. (That is less nicotine than 4 regular cigarettes!)

I know they weren't designed as device to help you stop smoking, but I am looking forward to quitting. I can already breath easier. But, even if I keep smoking my E-Cigg i can tell from how my lungs feel that it is less harmful than regular nicotine. Plus, I can smoke this anywhere and the Coalition of Non-Smokers can't say a thing because there is no nicotine being exhaled. It is not classified as a tobacco product so the bans against smoking do not apply to E-Cigg's. (In the U.S. it's a nicotine delivery system.) I love it and recomend it to anyone who smokes!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Ok, well maybe the conspiracy is the other way around, and these things really are beneficial. Judging by what your signature says it seems like maybe they did ban them because of the risk to big tobacco companies. Evil knows no bounds does it.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I now smoke an e-cig exclusively. The problem with me is that i do enjoy smoking, I just dont want to die. So with the e-cig you get the best of both worlds. Smoking without being poisoned by all those horrible chemicals. Plus you get loads of different flavours of liquid to choose from and can 'smoke' inside.

It's well recommended and i'm glad they're geting more press.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kicking2bears

I know they weren't designed as device to help you stop smoking, but I am looking forward to quitting. I can already breath easier. But, even if I keep smoking my E-Cigg i can tell from how my lungs feel that it is less harmful than regular nicotine. Plus, I can smoke this anywhere and the Coalition of Non-Smokers can't say a thing because there is no nicotine being exhaled. It is not classified as a tobacco product so the bans against smoking do not apply to E-Cigg's. (In the U.S. it's a nicotine delivery system.) I love it and recomend it to anyone who smokes!

Actually they WERE designed to be a device to help quit smoking. Hon Lik the Chinese pharmacist came up with the invention after his father died of smoking related illness. Hon Lik was also a smoker who had struggled with quitting and thought it would be good to give the world a way to "stop smoking" that was easier and more effective than the products that were on the market. Hon Lik reasoned that if he could design a product that resembled smoking but was not smoking, people would use it and thus not be smoking - that is not be putting the harmfull burning smoke and harmful chemicals into their bodies.

In the U.S. they are not classed as a nicotine delivery system only a "Tobacco product" since the nicotine is extracted from tobacco. It is not sold as a quit smoking product in the USA because legally a federal court ruled it was a tobacco product and not a nicotine delivery device. Health proponents for the use of E-cigs do make the case that use of the e-cig is about Harm Reduction and that's what really matters.

For more info on Harm Reduction from Smoking in the USA see The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association casaa.org...
edit on 18-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I would LOVE to try this product, but unfortunately it's been banned in Canada. After a bit of investigation, the only "excuse" I could find for this is that they said they were afraid that people could "overdose" on nicotine. I hate to use such a "teenage" word ,but MAN, that is SOOOO lame.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
I would LOVE to try this product, but unfortunately it's been banned in Canada. After a bit of investigation, the only "excuse" I could find for this is that they said they were afraid that people could "overdose" on nicotine. I hate to use such a "teenage" word ,but MAN, that is SOOOO lame.

That's a good point and again, it's fear and ignorance. Fact is that since the invention of the E-cig in 2003 there is not one single report of serious illness, heart or lung problems or death associated with use of the e-cig. Even the FDA cannot say that about many of their FDA approved quit smoking drugs. Many of those drugs have been proven killers in the courts. Yet, they don't remove them from the shelves.. conspiracy.. you bet ya, one of many surrounding this issue.

It is quite Impossible to overdose by use of an electronic cigarette. The lethal dose required to kill a 140 lbs man is 60 ml of pure nicotine. That's a little over 2 ounces. You would have to drink the whole bottle to be killed from it and e-cig nicotine liquid is never 100% pure but diluted. When electronic cigarette juice is made this gets further diluted with flavorings and then only a few drops are used at a time in the final product.When this small amount of now twice diluted nicotine is inhaled, your body does not absorb all of the nicotine only a fraction of it.

It's possible that Canada will look into this more closely and change it's tune because of what the UK is doing.. Isn't half of Canada ruled by the Queen?

Do they even have midical approved nicotine inhalers in Canada? If so, that's the closest you can get right now. Actually I know you Can buy an e-cig in Canada but it is sold by law without nicotine and liquid nicotine itself is not sold. You may want to check with some folks over at The Electronic Cigarette Forum, they have a Canadian sub forum that may be able to help. www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

For those who don't know, The Electronic Cigarette Forum does not sell any electronic cigarettes. They are only a large popular clearing house for electronic cigarette information. I learned about e-cigs from them when I first started. They have tons of good info on all aspects of the e-cig, styles, usage, legal concerns, medical concerns etc.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
i wouldn't say smoking an ecig is just like smoking a real cigarette but it gets the job done. on october 4th i will have quit smoking for six months and i used, and still use an e-cig. i used it more (and with higher concentration of nicotine) when i first quit. i still use it now but not nearly as much.

even as a straight replacement, ecigs are cheaper and much more healthy. they taste good, too. my favorite smoke juice is the blueberry. i also like the chocolate. the tobacco flavored smoke juice is gross always.

i didn't think i'd ever be able to quit so i'm quite thankful for the ecig.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Finland is on the verge of accepting e-cigs too. They can be legally obtained but they dont allow the nicotine canisters to be sold yet. Customs has said that they are being ordered in such a high number from overseas that it should be allowed to be sold in here too. Health mininstry is delaying the issue for some reason thought.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
my friend has one of these he's stopped smoking for 2 weeks. I really need to get one.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
its not smoking ,

im just waiting for synthetic whiskey to come to the markets ,

real whiskey will sky rocket in price, ,

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

I am a smoker and i think they are a good idea. You get your nicotine and can blow out water vapor but they are harmless..
Im sure you can guess why they have been banned, the usual story of the cigarette companies not liking the competition..

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Nicotine isn't the evil drug that Government has made it out to be. What causes cancer and second hand smoke is the 4000 carcinogens and tar inside regular tobacco. Nicotine is in fact starting to show that it has some health benefits.

www.nytimes.com...

After years of quiet discussion among scientists, hints that cigarettes can protect against some diseases or improve the outcome of others have led to growing interest in finding out why. This has focused attention on nicotine, tobacco's most active ingredient, as a potential treatment for several major health problems, including Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases.

In fact Nicotine isn't even the most active ingredient in tobacco smoke unlike the E-cig. Which is just mostly nicotine and few other harmless chemicals to make the smoke effect.

Nicotine (C10H14N2) is a naturally occurring liquid alkaloid. An alkaloid is an organic compound made out of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sometimes oxygen. These chemicals have potent effects on the human body. For example, many people regularly enjoy the stimulating effects of another alkaloid, caffeine, as they quaff a cup or two of coffee in the morning.

Nicotine normally makes up about 5 percent of a tobacco plant, by weight. Cigarettes contain 8 to 20 milligrams (mg) of nicotine (depending on the brand), but only approximately 1 mg is actually absorbed by your body when you smoke a cigarette.

As a smoker myself, I'm glad that the E-cigs are catching on. I just hope they don't tax the ba-jeuses out of them as they are pretty expensive compared to old fashion smoking as it is. Its a safe alternative with none of the downside. Even emphysema could be curved by this neat gizmos as the don't heat up the Nicotine has much as a old-fashion does.

EDIT: I would like to ask the E-Smokers in this thread about which is better, I just recently starting using it and I have a Modern Cartridge E-cig are the three piece ones better?

edit on 9/18/2011 by Mcupobob because: In the name of love!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join