It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Astro-Parents: Your Spacebabies May Be Deformed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Attention Astro-Parents: Your Spacebabies May Be Deformed

The Journal of Cosmology recently published a special issue concerning the requisites for and perils inherent in a manned mission to Mars, which appropriately touched upon that taboo topic that NASA never talks about: sex in space.
But while it might seem like a natural inevitability, sex in space might not be such a great idea, at least from a reproductive aspect.
Example: A recent study shows zebrafish embryos brought to term in microgravity develop cranial defects.

Those defects aren’t immediately problematic necessarily, but they’re certainly not good.
In the zebrafish, the abnormalities arose in the neural crest cells, which develop cranial cartilage and bone.
Assuming the same thing happened in a human embryo, the first-gen spacebaby might not be in such bad shape, but successive generations could suffer.

Parts corresponding to the human jaw–were altered.

Several months later, when the fish reached adulthood, they stained a few more of the fish, finding they also were abnormal;

bone at the base of the skull had buckled on some of the adult fish.
That’s a problem, especially considering previous microgravity experiments on zebrafish have shown similar abnormalities developing in other parts of their bodies.

deformed-spacebabies

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

makes sense to me
i didnt think nature would let a species live forever

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
So in other words gravity has an affect on how our bodies develop?

If the bones of the fish are made weaker due to low or zero gravity, I wonder what an increase in gravity would do? Interesting.

join