It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The effects of Symbols and what they represent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
First Off, I didn't know what forum to discuss this matter in so if moderators would like to move things around, please do so.

Good evening and Thank You for taking interest in this thread, whether your reading it, and/or contributing to it. My name is Jesse and this is officially my first "real" thread here at ATS. I have been reading articles and getting my daily dose of alternative news for years on the sidelines, but never seemed know how or where to contribute. I am an artist and a recent graduate with a graphic design concentrate.

During my studies, I had the privilege of learning many design principles, that ultimately help attach meaning to the visual reality that surrounds us. Just like techniques in science, you can break down any design into its most purest form to understand it. Essentially this pure form of raw content and material, allows the viewer to visually and emotionally digest what is presented before their eyes, mind, and perception. All of this analyzation establishes a relation between the artist, the viewer, and the design. The strength and influence of these connections, between the participants, varies greatly amongst every situation. Although it would be impossible to accurately dissect every artistic situation, it safe to assume that every artist has a goal when creating something and every design has an everlasting affect on the viewer/s.

Its clearly evident that every artist abides by their own set of rules and techniques when creating a design. When a designer is creating a piece of work for themselves they are usually not subjected to any governing force, as far as the content is concerned. But when an artist decides to work for a client, that client becomes the driving force behind the artist which ultimately becomes the force behind the design.

Being a designer I have always had an extreme interest in corporate art, its influence on the masses, and the principles they rely on. All corporate art shares a common objective and relatively similar aesthetic.

This video explains some familiarities and meanings that appear frequently in the corporate art world .

I think there are 7 videos in the series, so please watch them, they are quite interesting if your into stuff like this. Going back to my discussion, I wanted to ask a few questions and get some opinions on the matter. Also can you please state in your post if you have a background in art (or if not) whether your a designer, a museum goer, whatever your affiliation is.

Who is influencing the designers to use this "symbol library" that we see being used so frequently in our world?

Are the common traits between these designs just a coincidence?

What have these symbols done to your perception on the world and how act as a consumer? Have they shaped any ways you treat your world?

These are just some basic questions to start with. Please contribute, Im interested in hearing what your ATSers think about this. Thanks again!

edit on 18-9-2011 by lastmanstanding because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Bump. No one ?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
You know man, why place so much merit on the subjective interpretation of an artist’s perspective. In fact the majority of people don’t understand an artist’s perspective they just see a pretty picture and think to them selfs,"Wow if only I could drawl that". Why! Why do you place so much value in symbols the only value a symbol has is to the person/persons that’s subscribing to them. This is the problem with this thinking, as if some sinister force could control the masses by symbolism, that magically controls our subconscious. You are giving to much credence to objective symbols, being interpreted subjectively. What you are not understanding about symbols is this key point* for you to be influenced or even "manipulated" you must first understand the true meaning of the symbol! If you have no idea what it means it holds no power/or if you understand the symbol differently than the person who created the symbol it holds no power, so in other words for the symbol to hold power the interpreter of the symbol must understand the symbol just as the person who created the symbol. So essentially for you to believe these symbols can be used for sinister purpose you are contradicting your self. Only can something be sinister to the person experiencing that which is sinister to them. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but symbols seem to be mystifying people around these parts I just don’t get it...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality
You know man, why place so much merit on the subjective interpretation of an artist’s perspective. In fact the majority of people don’t understand an artist’s perspective they just see a pretty picture and think to them selfs,"Wow if only I could drawl that". Why! Why do you place so much value in symbols the only value a symbol has is to the person/persons that’s subscribing to them. This is the problem with this thinking, as if some sinister force could control the masses by symbolism, that magically controls our subconscious. You are giving to much credence to objective symbols, being interpreted subjectively. What you are not understanding about symbols is this key point* for you to be influenced or even "manipulated" you must first understand the true meaning of the symbol! If you have no idea what it means it holds no power/or if you understand the symbol differently than the person who created the symbol it holds no power, so in other words for the symbol to hold power the interpreter of the symbol must understand the symbol just as the person who created the symbol. So essentially for you to believe these symbols can be used for sinister purpose you are contradicting your self. Only can something be sinister to the person experiencing that which is sinister to them. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but symbols seem to be mystifying people around these parts I just don’t get it...

First off, let me clarify a few points. I didn't really release any of my own beliefs on the manner, I was simply seeing what others thought about the situation.

Secondly, I doubt you watched the short presentation because if you had, you would have noticed that many of the symbols presented have been used since ancient times. What am I getting at? These symbols have been embedded into the human mind for thousands of years, so how can they posses no power or meaning?

I personally find your response actually contradicting because you claim symbols dont have much power yet your using the english alphabet, which is comprised of many symbols, to convey your point at this given time.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by lastmanstanding

You know somehow I knew you were going to use the symbols of our alphabet that I’m communicating in as a means of rebuttal. But this too in turn is nonsense as I clearly stated,” the only value a symbol has is to the person/persons that’s subscribing to them." also you stated,” Secondly, I doubt you watched the short presentation because if you had, you would have noticed that many of the symbols presented have been used since ancient times. What am I getting at? These symbols have been embedded into the human mind for thousands of years, so how can they posses no power or meaning?" “Are you kidding me!!!? How many of us in this day and age actually know the meaning behind symbols used in ancient times, most of our understanding is by interpretations by our archeologist and scientist and even then they are just theoretical guesses. But you know what, I’m not going to argue that subjective interpretation of an objective object is never the same; because apparently you don’t understand that line of logic. So lets assume now, that there are indeed symbols of ancient past that have sinister meanings behind them, and that everybody understands these symbols exactly as they are intended; that is to be sinister and manipulative. Still even then if the masses are subject to such influence that we clearly understand, Isn’t it true then, that everyone makes a CHOICE? As to be influenced and manipulated by these symbols that we all understand? Do you get it yet? No matter how you argue this the premise to your logic is false. You see people are not sheep; people make CHOICES every single seconded if you are to say that we are so ignorant that our minds are easily controlled by mere symbols, than what makes you so special? Why are you abject to these symbols? Why are you keen to the forces that be, that somehow stump even the brightest of them all? This is foolish you are in a CLOSED SYSTEM therefore no matter who you are, you are subject to the same symbols yet you make a choice as to who you will be morally. This is not a question of the elite controlling us with symbols, rather this is a question of whether you will wake up and do right by your fellow man, regardless of the circumstances in your environment, and that is what makes a man good. A good man pushes against the grain. he fights to save his fellow man, and preserves his conscious because of this. I’m sorry but even if somehow magically ancient symbols are being used in a sinister way to manipulate the masses, we are still individuals faced with the same trial and that is CHOICE!
edit on 19-9-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
bump*

top topics

join