It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug deaths now outnumber traffic fatalities in U.S., data show

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

It is disgusting really.

You can't eat something you like, such as butter without being condemded to meds that fight high cholesteral. You can't jog, or you will need meds for shin splints. People can't do anything today without needing a pill for it, and that means just existing.

I hate the state of affairs when you can't sleep, eat or even think as a normal human being without being medicated to do so.

And people just wonder, why the US is so messed up.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich

Tobacco still far outnumbers them, as well fire arm related deaths far exceed both those figures lol

Oh that old demon nicotine. Much information obscured about that stuff. We had to find another name for the associated vitamin so you wouldn't confuse them. I don't know why many of your oldest-living humans are smokers. Smoking is bad for you.

en.wikipedia.org...

Niacin was first described by Hugo Weidel in 1873 in his studies of nicotine. The original preparation remains useful: The oxidation of nicotine using nitric acid. Niacin was extracted from livers by Conrad Elvehjem, who later identified the active ingredient, then referred to as the "pellagra-preventing factor" and the "anti-blacktongue factor." When the biological significance of nicotinic acid was realized, it was thought appropriate to choose a name to dissociate it from nicotine, to avoid the perception that vitamins or niacin-rich food contains nicotine, or that cigarettes contain vitamins. The resulting name 'niacin' was derived from nicotinic acid + vitamin.

Carpenter found in 1951 that niacin in corn is biologically unavailable, and can be released only in very alkaline lime water of pH 11. This process is known as nixtamalization.

Niacin is referred to as vitamin B3 because it was the third of the B vitamins to be discovered. It has historically been referred to as "vitamin PP" or "vitamin P-P".

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

It is disgusting really.

You can't eat something you like, such as butter without being condemded to meds that fight high cholesteral. People can't do anything today without needing a pill for it, and that means just existing.

Soon to be banned vitamins and supplements, if Pharma gets their way through the FDA, can help you live easier and healthier. I believe Niacin - a nickname, vitamin B3 is used to reduce cholesterol and/or increase the good cholesterol. I just referenced this vitamin in my previous post.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

/applause...

Way to deflect back to the pharma companies....

Considering the vast health benefeits of Cocaine, Opium, Heroin, Crack, Meth, Marijuana, Cigarettes and Alcohol, I cant beleive they arent sold in unrestricted ways.

I wouldn't want to too casually dismiss the benefits of all these substances when there are indeed some benefits to be derived from most on your list - except those that are just bastardized forms of the natural substances. Coca leaves are chewed in coca-growing regions of South American countries to aid against the ill-effects of those high-altitude sicknesses. I don't even want to get into what American agencies help bring you the finest drug-quality coc aine derived from those leaves. Such truths understodd by the masses could cause global economic collapse as the illicit drug trade benefits some very highly and well-placed individuals and interests.

Thank the alcohol/liquor industry for making recreational drug use a national tradition and way of life.

edit on 18-9-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
It is very easy to create the Pills in that way that not sooooo many People die
or getting addicted by them, but it is not soooo cheap!

Look for example the Oxicodone Pills,
since they got the new slow release Form
the numbers of fatal Overdoses is decreasing!

But dependence on said drugs is going up, along with outright abuse.

I'm in stage 4 kidney failure, about 8 months from a transplant. My kidneys are the size of nerf footballs and I'm in pain 24/7 as a result.

Thanks to all the abuse going on I get treated like a junkie by every pharmacy I deal with.

That's the downside,

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I would have to guess that most of these deaths are of people who use them recreationally . Prescription drugs do not have the same stigma that street drugs do, especially among young people. Prescription drugs are extremely easy to obtain and often very inexpensive. Young people especially are inclined to mix drugs with alcohol which often hugely intensifies side effects. Most people using prescription drugs to get high have little knowledge of accurate dosing and what quantity of dosage would cause dangerous complications. I personally am very against this type of behavior, but I personally know lots of people who have absolutely no qualms about it. I really dont see how more regulations will prevent anything, but instead would become a burden to legitimate users such as people with terminal illnesses. As someone else said earlier, making a substance illegal doesn't see to affect availability very much. It does however drive the street value up which may account for a lot of violence in this country. In many cultural groups, often rampant with poverty, a few hundred dollars owed for drugs is more than enough incentive to engage in violent actions. Most american firearm deaths are not from accidents, a large number are suicides, but many of them are drug related. Drug dealers become targets of robbery because they have money and drugs to take, so they feel the need to defend themselves with guns. Also, huge supplies of these drugs originate from legal, but not necessarily legitimate prescriptions. Any doctor can prescribe anything to anyone if they want to and they know how far they can go without throwing up red flags. Many general practitioners do not really earn that much and they can greatly supplement their income with prescriptions. Its a myth that all doctors make a million dollars a year. A lot of them earn more like $60K. Writing prescriptions for $50 bucks cash can add up quick. I believe that a better solution is better information and education on this subject. It should be advertised everywhere. Most people know that heroin is harmful, but they need to know that many prescription drugs are just as bad when misused.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

There is a mssive difference between chewing a coca leaf and snorting refined pure coc aine. Cocaine has medical value, so im fine with that being reffined and kept under lcok and key at hosptials.

If someone whnts to do drugs thats their perogative. I think any person who chooses to do drugs should be allowed to have their insurance yanked. they can pay for medical expenses related to their voluntary use out of their own pockets.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
i do love these kinds of threads

blame someone else instead of the person who just doesnt bother to read the label

and what else? follow the doctors instructions

but nope big pharma is the villian.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

blame someone else instead of the person who just doesnt bother to read the label

yeah if it werent for ig pharma companies our life expectancy would be a horrid 40-50 years instead of the 75-110 we have now. I fail to understand why people refuse to accept the notion of personal responsibility? It always seems to be someone elses fault.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

yeah if it werent for ig pharma companies our life expectancy would be a horrid 40-50 years instead of the 75-110 we have now. I fail to understand why people refuse to accept the notion of personal responsibility? It always seems to be someone elses fault.

It's not nesssarily because of big pharma, they are just the profiteers. It's all about the bottom line, and if it was more profitable to treat people, but let them die....oh wait it is, then alas, that's a business decision.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

something else i can gurantee they are not factoring in to those statistics is:

people skirting laws driving to mexico and canada and buy pharmacueticals online.

hmmm...

wonder if they will defend that as well

and then how can we forget that people are now buying animal pharam and using them on themselves.

man o man

edit on 18-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Due to a very painful disease in my brainstem I can now take the proud title of recovering opiate addict. It will be three years this month and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of them. They are the closest thing to God that I have ever felt, the only other time is in my dreams. I repeat the first step over and over in my head everyday. I work in healthcare and its everywhere. I can spot an addicts behavior better than anybody in the office. Its a sad state of affairs. A big and scary epidemic. I work for an alternitive medicine doctor who is constantly battling the Med. Board and the FDA. Now healthcare is drug addicts, insurance companies thinking they went to med school, broke people, the FDA, and the newest problem....drug shortages. Come to think of it, Im changing careers.Just thought my view from both sides of the fence would help in some way.
Peace and love,
heather

p.s. i have lost friends to this problem and have seen it first hand, there is a 5% recovery rate. its very scary. what's gonna come of all these addicts when TSHTF. I thank god everyday I might make it now. Its a daily battle though.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Some of the people who are using prescription painkillers buy them off the street and abuse them. They buy them from friends and family members who may have a standing prescription. So to that end, I don't feel it's the doctors or big pharma companies contributing to the fatalities. There has to be some personal responsibility from people who knowingly take them and mix with alcohol.

The misuse of these drugs is very prevalent right now and I think part of the reason for that is that they are very effective. Unfortunately, they are addictive and that is where the abuse comes in. Throw in tolerance for the drug and that is even more dangerous....for example, last week two Vicodin worked for my back so why not take three or four and have a beer because I poured cement all day, or climbed up and down scaffolding all day, etc, etc...more is not always better. And I would agree completely that because these medications are "prescribed" by doctors, the negative stigma isn't there.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

There is a mssive difference between chewing a coca leaf and snorting refined pure coc aine. Cocaine has medical value, so im fine with that being reffined and kept under lcok and key at hosptials.

I couldn't agree more. However, in the eyes of the law there is no difference.

If someone whnts to do drugs thats their perogative. I think any person who chooses to do drugs should be allowed to have their insurance yanked. they can pay for medical expenses related to their voluntary use out of their own pockets.

Do drugs?? As in take any prescription drug? As in use these prescription drugs that are now widely over-prescribed? Recrational drug abusers like alcoholics? Pot-smokers? Other users of more dangerous illicit drugs? The whole lot? Vitamin and mineral users after the door gets slammed on them? Pick and choose from my list? That really is the question because when you say "do drugs" that is not being specific enough. Your argument begins to fail under such generalizations.

This particular article has to do with prescription drugs. It has introduced those who use them illicitly into the mix but also broadly refers those who take those drugs as prescribed as a large part of their statistic as well. I believed the article to be about a growing and dangerous practice of prescribing drugs as the be-all and end-all of the current state of contemporary medicine. I also introduced the idea into the thread the idea some large part of this fatal statistic to be people who feel the've arrived to a point of futility and use these drugs to end the cycle and check-out permanently - suicides.

You may have a good and valid point about illicit drug-users perhaps should be uninsurable, however this article largely addresses a problem with those who are just doing as the doctor ordered. I starred you for bringing some good points to the discussion and participating in this thread though. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

There are those folks too who deserve an epic FAIL. My personal problem that I felt the OP address is the current trend could be Pharma and modern medical practices that routinely use these medicines as their answer to all that ails a person. I might blame them for relying on an easy and profitable expedience instead of finding and treating a root cause for the ill.

To address your thoughts here a bit more directly, I would blame Pharma for profiteering. I had a family member die a couple years back from a sudden and swift cancer. By the time she was diagnosed it was in a terminal state and could only be made comfortable for her remaing 2-3 months. She was offered Marinol (the synthetic pot) which she sampled but elected not to use, btw. A 30-day supply was to cost her about $900. Compare that to the cost and effectiveness of garden-variety pot. I was shocked to hear in this lead article that those who become addicted to Oxycontin will end up paying double what a heroin addict pays for their habit. I suspicion many of those people find themselves addicted because of an entirely different reason for entering their pattern of use. Most get there legally and legitimately I suspect.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

yeah well without profit

there is no research and development for better and more effect pharamceuticals

and that isnt cheap you take that from them

millions will die.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Yes, in my fairly long life now I recall the days when doctors seemed caring and concerned. Now profits and expediency seems to be the order of the day.

Do you think we may have arrived at a time when we, individually, are becoming more enlightened about health matters? My thoughts are yes, even the industry is more enlightened too. It was around one hundred years ago when heroin and paregoric began coming off the shelves. They were widely promoted by that era's Pharma to keep your children quiet at night. In short time Bayer became better known for its Aspirin than its Heroin as before.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Xcathdra

something else i can gurantee they are not factoring in to those statistics is:

people skirting laws driving to mexico and canada and buy pharmacueticals online.

hmmm...

wonder if they will defend that as well

and then how can we forget that people are now buying animal pharam and using them on themselves.

man o man

Sorry, I live in Mexico and am not going to fly into the US to purchase medicines. Much more reasonably priced doctors and medicines here. Fortunately I rarely get sick and don't see many doctors outside the ones I know personally here. We have a great many more practicing physicians here and the care is more personal one-on-one.

I am appalled what Americans have to pay for their prescriptions these days. Many veterinary medicines are identical except for the price. This that you speak of may be the current day's version of seniors purchasing dog food to meet their nutritional needs. I expect that can of Skippy's may have been healthier than many people-food options if we want to look at the bright side of that.

Yes, you get a star too just for providing me the opening to take this thread further into what I deem to be the problems we face these days. It's all about profits and expediency now.

edit on 18-9-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

yeah well without profit

there is no research and development for better and more effect pharamceuticals

and that isnt cheap you take that from them

millions will die.

There is a great difference in making a living, financing research, and profiteering. The latter I believe is a runaway probelm we have. I believe that plays such a factor today that true research into finding real "cures" has taken a seat in back of the long bus to treating symptoms. We may differ in opinion on this, I can't help that, but seeing how medicine is practiced here and NOB (north of the border) I am afraid it is based NOB on profit and expediency and may help serve a larger social agenda that is not in the people's benefit. Here where we have more physicians per capita and fewer socialized benefits the practice is still aimed at treating the individual to be healthier. Seeing something from a different perspective has changed my outlook on many things.

Star for giving me the opportunity to say that. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Prescription drugs are a massive industry.
America is essentially a large collection of idiots.

Do the maths.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join