It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computers and Overclocking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I built my own comp, upgraded and rebuilt many time over the years.

My last set up was an E8500 3.16 dual core, with 8G of RAM I could OC to 4.0 with no problems at all.

So I eventually bought a Q9550 2.83 Quad core. Would not O/C for anything. My RAM was causing probs, even at normal speed I kept getting blue screens that turned out to be because my MOBO can be unstable with 4 sticks of RAM apparently. So I dropped down to 4G of RAM, still plenty didn't even notice a difference, and the comp ran stable again. But I still can't get a stable O/C with this CPU.

What I don't understand is why it ran stable with the Dual core and 4 sticks of ram OC'd, but won't with the Quad? I have a 1000w PSU BTW (corsair), and I know how to set voltages and all that. Asus p5 pro mobo.

Any ideas?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee
reply to post by calstorm

Yes you get what you pay for. Computers are appliances now and are made cheaply in order to force people to buy a new one every couple of years.

Your BIOS will most likely not even support overclocking.

The problem with integrated gpu is as with most laptops the integrated gpu shares system ram with the cpu providing minimal ram to either cpu or gpu and therefore severely limiting performance.

A possible option is to see if you can run an additional video card and disable the integrated gpu.

edit on 18-9-2011 by nh_ee because: bios support

Yeah, I know. That's why I built mine myself. With my sons, the plan was to get him somethign he could use right away, not having the funds to buy what we eventually wanted, all at once. Then as I could afford it, I would upgrade everything except for the motherboard. In other words, more costly in the long run but he wouldn't have to wait. I wish I would have done things differently, but no going back now.

edit on 18-9-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

When I was writing this, I didn't have time to get into GPU overclocking. But, I can write it and post here if anyone wants. Or create a new thread, whatever.

I would appreciate that because I have never overclocked my old Nvidia Geforce4 MX4000 and I just downloaded Riva Tuner and would like to know how to do that.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
I built my own comp, upgraded and rebuilt many time over the years.

My last set up was an E8500 3.16 dual core, with 8G of RAM I could OC to 4.0 with no problems at all.

So I eventually bought a Q9550 2.83 Quad core. Would not O/C for anything. My RAM was causing probs, even at normal speed I kept getting blue screens that turned out to be because my MOBO can be unstable with 4 sticks of RAM apparently. So I dropped down to 4G of RAM, still plenty didn't even notice a difference, and the comp ran stable again. But I still can't get a stable O/C with this CPU.

What I don't understand is why it ran stable with the Dual core and 4 sticks of ram OC'd, but won't with the Quad? I have a 1000w PSU BTW (corsair), and I know how to set voltages and all that. Asus p5 pro mobo.

Any ideas?

First, I have to make a bad comment about the processor, because I dislike intel, lol. (no offense) Don't ask why, I just do.

On a serious note, my first question would be about the cooling system. Stock fan? Custom? And what method were you trying to use to overclock the CPU? Were you manually adjusting FSB in bios or trying to use a software overclock?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by chisisiCoptos

Excellent. I do not have the time to write it tonight, but I will begin the writing stage for a new thread tomorrow evening. It will include GPU settings and overclocking etc. May even include a few extras for other parts of the computer

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Hey OP I just finished my first build and its running really nice so far but I have a few questions about overclocking.

The basic specs on my tower are intel core i7 2600K, 16gb ddr3 RAM, z68 mobo (supports overclocking) and a h2o cooling pump and radiator for the cpu.

Now I paid a little bit extra to get the K series processor because of the unlocked multiplier that I though is part of what you needed to overclock but why do you recommend not doing this but doing it in bios instead? Also my mobo came with a program that has overclock settings (so it seems like I could do it in a windows user session) should I use that or do it in the bios at the startup ?

Also how far do you think I should go or is there any limit, like how do you know where exactly you should stop?

At the moment my computer is running great and I don't feel like I would need much more speed but at the same time it would be a cool little project, I had fun putting my tower together and overclocking sounds like the next step but if I don't really need much more speed then should I even bother doing it?

Also just curious is it possible to reverse it? And would the warranty on you cpu still be void if you did reverse it?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Hey OP I just finished my first build and its running really nice so far but I have a few questions about overclocking.

The basic specs on my tower are intel core i7 2600K, 16gb ddr3 RAM, z68 mobo (supports overclocking) and a h2o cooling pump and radiator for the cpu.

Now I paid a little bit extra to get the K series processor because of the unlocked multiplier that I though is part of what you needed to overclock but why do you recommend not doing this but doing it in bios instead? Also my mobo came with a program that has overclock settings (so it seems like I could do it in a windows user session) should I use that or do it in the bios at the startup ?

Also how far do you think I should go or is there any limit, like how do you know where exactly you should stop?

At the moment my computer is running great and I don't feel like I would need much more speed but at the same time it would be a cool little project, I had fun putting my tower together and overclocking sounds like the next step but if I don't really need much more speed then should I even bother doing it?

Also just curious is it possible to reverse it? And would the warranty on you cpu still be void if you did reverse it?

OOOO, sounds like a project I would have enjoyed taking part of. You can mess with the multiplier settings if you want to, but it's at your own risk. By increasing the multiplier, you will make a big jump in system speed. I do not recommend this because unless you know exactly what your system can handle, you can seriously mess something up.

Second, you can use the software it came with if you choose. It isn't necessarily a bad option but, overclocking on the fly using software usually has more instability problems than doing it manually from BIOS.

The reason I believe doing it in BIOS is the best option is because you can increase in very small increments at a time, so as to figure out what your limit is without damaging your computer. And yes, the process is reversable.

In theory, the limit to how high you can clock your CPU is dependent on how cool you can keep it. There are many other factors involved, but cooling is the biggest one.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Beware: Overclocking computers is addictive! Be prepared to stay up late breaking night sweats, getting bug eyed, etc., lol. It is very fun though and like everyone agrees, the performance gain is great!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles

The reason I believe doing it in BIOS is the best option is because you can increase in very small increments at a time, so as to figure out what your limit is without damaging your computer. And yes, the process is reversable.

Yeah doing it in small increments definitely sounds like the best option, I've only had it for a week or two so I'd hate to ruin it already lol.

In theory, the limit to how high you can clock your CPU is dependent on how cool you can keep it. There are many other factors involved, but cooling is the biggest one.

Well im glad I forked out a little extra for the liquid cooling (originally I did it because I live in a really warm climate where the fans would probably just blow hot air onto it) but even those are limited by outside temperature, so I was also wondering if I were to overclock it in the winter then use it through summer would I risk overheating? should I adjust it down a little through the hotter months or is that not necessary?

Thanks for your help by the way, I'm still a bit of a noob to all this but I'm finding it rather fascinating, I don't think im ever going to by a rip-off full package from the big computer shops ever again lol.
edit on 18-9-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

First, I have to make a bad comment about the processor, because I dislike intel, lol. (no offense) Don't ask why, I just do.

Well I did a lot of research before I build. I use my comp for audio production and some photoshop, and Intel won over AMD in tests for this, well a few years ago anyway.

On a serious note, my first question would be about the cooling system. Stock fan? Custom? And what method were you trying to use to overclock the CPU? Were you manually adjusting FSB in bios or trying to use a software overclock?

OK I have a good fan, forget the name but it is a huge aftermarket jobby. Heat isn't the prob though the quad runs cooler than the dual did.

I do manual OC. Increase the FSB gradually until it loses stability, and then adjust voltages etc. I had to underclock my RAM as it is already pushed to its limits (DDR2 1066). I do other bios tweaks also, shutting off unneeded services etc.

It's the first CPU I haven't been able to O/C, and the Q9550 is supposed to O/C well. Maybe it's just the combination of mobo and ram or something? It runs rock solid at stock speed though, never get any blue screens.

www.legitreviews.com...

I have no real need to OC, but like other posters have said it's fun trying to see what you can get out of it.

edit on 9/18/2011 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Unless you live outside, I don't see why you can't just leave it clocked high if you can keep it stable. You should prolly test it with room temperature around 80 degrees F. Seems like a reasonable temperature even for hot months. Although, personally I keep the AC at 72 in the summer.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

You said you have 4 sticks of ram. I would recommend cycling through the sticks one at a time and trying to overclock. Insert 1 stick, try it and see what happens. Rinse and repeat.

I have had BSOD problems in the past due to a stick of RAM that still technically worked but had some manufacture glitch in it. So cycle through each stick one at a time and see if you can deduce if any of them have stability problems.

If that doesn't work, then stick the processor on another mobo and see what you can do with it from there. If nothing, then I recommend the Universal fix that we used for Vista back when it came out. Throw the computer out the window...or take a bat to it. lol

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

You said you have 4 sticks of ram. I would recommend cycling through the sticks one at a time and trying to overclock. Insert 1 stick, try it and see what happens. Rinse and repeat.

I had 4 sticks but it was unstable, my mobo is known for it apparently, so I have only 2 sticks in now, 4Gig.

It ran fine with the dual and the 4 sticks even OC'd, so I'm assuming the ram is good. With the quad it will not run stable, even at stock speed, with 4 sticks. Runs rock solid with 2 sticks on stock speed. When I try to OC I get blue screens all related to memory. Increasing voltages makes no difference.

That was what I found odd.

Throw the computer out the window...or take a bat to it. lol

LOL I think I'll just leave it at stock speed. But I have thought about throwing my old comp at my noisy upstairs neighbor. I don't understand how a middle aged couple, with no kids, can stomp around all day, from 8am till 8pm, in a 12'x12' room dropping something heavy every few minutes. Serenity now! Oh wait sorry wrong thread.
Sorry it's got me a little stressed.

Anyway thanks for the reply, not sure if you expected your thread to turn into a free computer help thread lol? Can you help me with the neighbour?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Well, I don't mind helping with the computer stuff. Sorry to hear it is having so many problems with the 4 sticks of ram.

As for the neighbor, I know what you mean. My upstairs neighbor does almost the same thing...weird. You don't happen to live next door do you? HAHA

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

Well, I don't mind helping with the computer stuff. Sorry to hear it is having so many problems with the 4 sticks of ram.

Thanx. It's really not a big deal. I never use all the 4G of ram anyway, even when running multiple audio tracks in Cubase with plugins open (reverb uses lots of memory).

As for the neighbor, I know what you mean. My upstairs neighbor does almost the same thing...weird. You don't happen to live next door do you? HAHA

Haha yeah sorry about that, it was late I was stressed and medicated lol. What is it with people though huh? I go out of my way not to make unnecessary noise, but it makes me want to stomp and bang things lol.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Ahem, Mineral Oil!!

Check out this "Oil Rig" from about a year ago...

edit on 19-9-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
gotta love overclocking

currently got a q9950 at 3.9ghz standard volts pushed it over 4ghz but 3.9 is the gaming sweet spot

any one overclocking 775 sock intel chips use a gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p or ga-ep5-ud3r they rock

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

I was watching some other videos on youtube just yesterday about oil submersion. Only problem I ever saw with that was properly radiating the heat out. Although, it wouldn't be hard to just have a pump to circulate the oil.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join