It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul wins California GOP straw poll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul is the winner of a straw poll conducted among Golden State Republicans.

The Texas congressman drew large, boisterous crowds of supporters for several speaking appearances at the state party convention under way this weekend at the JW Marriott in downtown Los Angeles. He won roughly 45 percent of the 833 ballots cast.

"I think the main purpose of our Constitution and political action should be the preservation of liberty," Paul told delegates on Constitution Day.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, whose supporters also flocked to the poll site en mass, came in second place with 29 percent of the vote.

Read more: blogs.sacbee.com...

No longer 'small' dedicated groups of supporters. Now it's 'large' boisterous crowds. Not looking so "unelectable" anymore....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
of course he did

he always wins

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

So he can win polls that aren't just online polls!!!

He will be in Orlando, Florida for a Fox News debate, a Republican debate, and a straw poll here next weekend. It is a larger Straw Poll, and it should be a great measure of his chances in the state. I think somewhere along the lines of 1800 delegates, selected from each county in the state, will attend the debates and cast votes.

www.presidency5.com...

Oh ya, and I will be there covering for ATS, unless something changes at work this week. Keeping my fingers crossed, I should be there taking pics and reporting back to ATS.
edit on 17-9-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DankKing420

Yup, but this time the situation is different than in 2008, his support is growing daily. Let's hope it actually translates at the primaries this time, and more people temporarily register Republican to vote for him to go against Obama and the establishment.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Let's hope the 100th monkey story is true for humans...

www.wowzone.com...

I look forward to checking out your coverage.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Awesome news. How will the media spin this to make Paul look bad?? Maybe they will discuss marijuana being legal in California before talking about this? Or just ignore it as best they can?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

www.wowzone.com...

I have long claimed to be the 99th monkey!

And Ron Paul pulls at me....

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Do you know how straw polls work? The candidates buy tickets send them to there supporters and they go and vote for there candidate. Ron Paul supporters all ways wins straw polls there very dedicated to him might i even say fanatical. Ron Paul doesn't do well on regular polls because he cant stack the deck. If you believe Ron paul has any chance of nomination your delusional.Ron paul has a problem he all ways polls around 8 % it doesnt go up it doesnt go down this is his core supporters. Ron Paul will never be president however his son Rand Paul who knows he seems more reasonable. And hes making a big name for himself in the senate hes submitting all kinds of bills and for the most part they make sense.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Well just you know that Ron Paul won just 3% at the California GOP straw poll back in 2008.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Is there anything Ron Paul can accomplish that wouldn't leave you in a position to only try and discredit him?

For many of those in your set of shoes, it seems the only answer here is 'no', so why do you even bother.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

This isn't just his same old base. They couldn't overwhelm the other candidates by that much. Especially since his supporters have always been avid and he just got 3 percent in '08.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Keep telling yourself that. Wonder what these people will say when he wins the primaries, and goes on to win the general election. His base of support is growing every day.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
After that last debate, I don't see how he could win the nomination.

He should just drop out.....

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ron Paul is the only Republican running who i even remotely like. Not that i agree with him(i dont), but he is honest and not regurgitating talking points. This is refreshing, imo.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Huh? Are you just trying to troll Paul fans?
He did perfectly fine in the last debate? If anyone should drop out after that one it would be Perry.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

If RP is just stacking the deck, then how come he didn't win in Iowa? What about the loss in Cain's state(crikey, where the hell was that? Wasn't that long ago). Was that even a straw poll, and if so, how come he didn't win that one either?

He won because all the others are corporate shills and he's the only one with a decent platform, and because no one else running was from that California. That seems to be the only way they can beat him so far.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Yah, the crownd screaming to kill the coma patient was... surprising.

Though, its not Ron's fault. Even so, it made him look bad. Any chance the other Reps paid a few audience members to 'support' Ron?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This is encouraging news! Ron Paul is the ONLY one campaigning I like and think would do the most for the common people. I think Ron Paul could get 100% of the popular vote and still be denied or perhaps make it all the way and suffer the same fate as JFK. This is unfortunate to say the least. The agenda of which we have been under for the past 100 years is becoming shaky or is entering a stage of final determination in my personal determination. I think when the dust all settles out we will be looking at Romney/Rubio as the republican offering. Perhaps Paul will still be standing as an independent? Time will certainly tell.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

www.wowzone.com...

Ha! That's awesome! Yeah.. except we probably need at least a million monkeys in our case.. but we can do it!! I'm already talking to co-workers and family about him.. trying to sway voters.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
go ron paul. way to go media for actually reporting this. way to go libertarians. it's exciting when people actually care about freedom.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join