It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help building gameing pc please.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LvSLoLo

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
Oh and the RECOMMENDED requirements for that game is a 460 so a 560Ti will run the game at full settings. Go to overclock.net and they will tell you.

And you can all ways sli. Make sure that you buy a motherboard that is SLI capable just in case you want to get a second card. Or if you go with a ATI make sure that its able to do crossfire. NVIDIA IS SLI AND ATI IS
CROSSFIRE.

2 560Ti's will out perform a 580. So if you are not happy with 1 560ti when the game comes out, you can all ways buy a USED one and use 2 560ti's. Some times its cheaper. Just make sure you get at least a 700watt power supply.
edit on 17-9-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)
Yup i know about the sli and crossfire i was going to buy 1 single 6950 2gb and buy a second in a week or 2 and the monitor im buying is full 1080p.

Good choice, how big is your monitor?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

Are you joking? He posted in the off topic session so it's fine.

OP, it really just depends on what you want to run and if you want to run it on high settings. I have built many good ones for around 500 dollars before, so if your down to spend I can help you. Lots of good deals on newegg though, especially around holiday time.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky

quad core might bottle neck , perhaps go for the i7 ? intel?

Ive just found this on the website im buying my pc parts from is this completely new to me

www.overclockers.co.uk...

Would this do the trick? the 2.80GHz puts me off but then again like ive said before i know barely anything about pc's

A i7 is a quad core. Lol, you dont need 6 cores unless you are doing some serious video rendering. I dont even think games utilize more then 4 cores. Their would be no reason to get this CPU. But you need to get a quad core not dual core. This is one of the best CPU's for gaming
www.newegg.com...
Its made for gaming, but I do not think its in your budget.
One of these black edition AMD CPU's would not fail you
www.newegg.com...
Ok thanks man this is the CPU ive got my eye on www.overclockers.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Oh and the RECOMMENDED requirements for that game is a 460 so a 560Ti will run the game at full settings. Go to overclock.net and they will tell you.

And you can all ways sli. Make sure that you buy a motherboard that is SLI capable just in case you want to get a second card. Or if you go with a ATI make sure that its able to do crossfire. NVIDIA IS SLI AND ATI IS
CROSSFIRE.

2 560Ti's will out perform a 580. So if you are not happy with 1 560ti when the game comes out, you can all ways buy a USED one and use 2 560ti's. Some times its cheaper. Just make sure you get at least a 700watt power supply.
Yup i know about the sli and crossfire i was going to buy 1 single 6950 2gb and buy a second in a week or 2 and the monitor im buying is full 1080p.

Good choice, how big is your monitor?
Hmm i think it was 24 inch, ill have to ask becouse its from a friend was definatly 23-24 inches though

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWorldSpins
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

Are you joking? He posted in the off topic session so it's fine.

OP, it really just depends on what you want to run and if you want to run it on high settings. I have built many good ones for around 500 dollars before, so if your down to spend I can help you. Lots of good deals on newegg though, especially around holiday time.
Yup i defonatly want to run bf3 on max settings the only problem is im from the UK so i dont think newegg works here

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky

quad core might bottle neck , perhaps go for the i7 ? intel?

Ive just found this on the website im buying my pc parts from is this completely new to me

Would this do the trick? the 2.80GHz puts me off but then again like ive said before i know barely anything about pc's

A i7 is a quad core. Lol, you dont need 6 cores unless you are doing some serious video rendering. I dont even think games utilize more then 4 cores. Their would be no reason to get this CPU. But you need to get a quad core not dual core. This is one of the best CPU's for gaming
www.newegg.com...
Its made for gaming, but I do not think its in your budget.
One of these black edition AMD CPU's would not fail you
www.newegg.com...
Ok thanks man this is the CPU ive got my eye on www.overclockers.co.uk...

I hope you plan on overclocking it, because it will bottle neck 2 of those cards. Battle field bad company 2 is a very intensive CPU game I bet battle field 3 is going to be as well. Make sure you get your self a nice heatsink.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Lol the second i learn how i will do exactly that, and the graphics card aswell ive just read it can be OC to a 6970

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This would be a much better choice and its only a couple dollars more

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Thanks for the help
i want bf3 and the other new games comeing out to run on max settings as smooth as possible theres no point me spending all the money on something that wont do exactly that

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Thanks for the help
i want bf3 and the other new games comeing out to run on max settings as smooth as possible theres no point me spending all the money on something that wont do exactly that

No problem if you have any other questions just message me.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ok well this is the graphic card im buying IF its good enough and from what ive read it would give the GTX 570 and ATI 6970 a run for its money.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
There are some great, and some slightly less useful responses in here. My advice:

1) scratch the i7. Go for an i5 2500k. It's overclockable and has comparative performance with an i7 2600k in most situations (and you won't notice a performance difference in gaming at all... though you would in, say, video editing).

2) Grab yourself a motherboard that supports SSD caching. I'd recommend a Z68. Gigabyte have plenty of these available. Make sure you have several USB 3.0 ports, and SATA3 ports. Everything else is negotiable.

3) Grab 8gb of RAM. 16 is overkill, 4 isn't enough these days, 8 is the sweet spot.

4) I'd recommend grabing an ATI 6950 (2gb preferably) or 6970. If you have to go nVidia, you want to grab, at an absolute minimum, a gtx 570. If you can afford it, get two and run them in SLI.
Otherwise, grab the 6750... again, two if you can afford it, and run those in Crossfire. You'll get silky smooth gameplay with either setup.

If you're set on a single card setup, aim for a 6970 or gtx580.

BUT... keep in mind that with a BIOS flash you can actually turn some (note: SOME) 6950's into 6970's... so that's an avenue worth looking at too. If you need any more info, feel free to PM me and I can advise you furher.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
AHK, no... don't get a phenom II... not now.
AMD are about to release the FX series (Bulldozer), which will blow those out of the water.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I currently use two Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS video cards connected with SLI. They have done great on everything so far. I'm using an AMD Phenom II quad-core processor and only 4-gigs of ram, but I don't have problems playing anything so far. Plays newer games like Fallout New Vegas and COD Modern Warfare 2 flawlessly.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
I currently use two Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS video cards connected with SLI. They have done great on everything so far. I'm using an AMD Phenom II quad-core processor and only 4-gigs of ram, but I don't have problems playing anything so far. Plays newer games like Fallout New Vegas and COD Modern Warfare 2 flawlessly.

wow the 8600GTS is pretty old lol i remember i was going to buy 1 for a old gameing rig i sold a few years ago but still on its day was a great card

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It seems like you have overlooked something in your build. Cooling If you plan to overclock your card or CPU you will want to look into some after market cooling. Nothing blows more than setting up a new system only to burn a part out due to it overheating. Some brands of cards come with good coolers on them that can handle overclocking some do not so don't hesitate to do a little research before buying your card. Will you be buying a new case as well? Because good airflow is important as well. If you are using a old case you may want to put some new fan holes in it.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
just dont try to save cash using a cheap case.

A decent well desgined well ventilated case will mean a quieter, longer lasting system, which is also easyer to install/upgrade.

Ive had great luck with the antec 900/902 cases (PSU at the bottom of the case is a great idea).

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I just started building computers a couple years ago and I found Tomshardware to extremely useful.
It has a ton of information on how to build and select computer parts.
Places I've used to buy computer parts from would be Newegg
Tigerdirect and sometimes you can find deals on Amazon.

This would be a pretty good gaming computer you shouldn't have any problems maxing out games up to
1920x1080 Mid-level Gaming computer. The i5 2500k processor is an extremely able and overclock friendly chip. I would pair it with this cooler CM Hyper 212+.
edit on 18-9-2011 by lakers_421 because: Additional Info

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
my thoughts are this... since Nvidia is still newish to the DDR5 range, their cards are running way hot.... and using tons of power... ATI got over this bottleneck a year ago, because they were the first to go DDR5...

As for playing WOW... my XFX 6870 runs it on max settings @ 1920x1080p res on a 46 in Aquos with 54 fps min.

If you want a gaming pc, I would do this....

-processor

i7 if you can afford it (I am a AMD fan btw, the i7 is just that awesome) If not go with the AMD quad 3.4 ghz AM3 socket

-motherboard

Motherboard should have a minimum of 2 16X PCI-Express slots, 4 slots for ram, and have the ability to overclock - Brand will depend on whether you go AMD or Intel

-Ram

6GB minimum of the fastest reliable RAM you can afford... go to Newegg or tigerdirect to see reviews on what you are looking at. 8GB would be ideal, and being as DDR3 ram is cheap right now, you may want to go ahead and get it.

-Power supply

Anything less than 800W and your going to be starving your video card of power, trust me, it may not seem like it, but you will eventually kill some component in your system if you choose to go cheap on the power supply.

-Video card

I prefer ATI cards, my friend prefers Nvidia cards, we both went and bought cards at the same time, when I bought my XFX 6870, and my system seems to edge him out 99% of the time.

See if you can get a XFX 6970, they come with lifetime warranties even if you overclock them... BIG BONUS

1GB card should do fine unless you absolutely want to run the highest resolution possible with Max settings, and on a big monitor

-Hard drive

Technically you should get two. 1 would be running your OS, and the games should be on a secondary hard drive. Minimum of 7200 RPMS, you could go Solid state, but some people seem to be having trouble with them still... if you can get a good warranty on one, go ahead and put your games on a 500GB solid state drive and just run your OS from a 7200 RPM SATA drive.

-Case

If you buy a bigger case with alot of fans, you can skip liquid cooling, and keep temps low... if you go with Nvidia stuff, you may want to start looking at liquid cooling, because of the heat.

Case should have a minimum of one puller fan in the front, one in the side, and one pulling air out the rear.

My case is a Antec 900, has 2 120mm front fans, 1 120mm side, 1 120mm rear, and one 280mm on the top. My temps never go much above ambient, though I don't tend to overclock, because I don't need to.

All in all, do some research, sometime certain components work better together, sometimes they won't work with each other at all. If you were in Southern Ohio I would help you at no charge, I build gaming pc's all the time for people, and have never had anyone complain.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Just a thought here from the perspective of a life-long gamer. System config is like arguing American vs. Japanese on cars. Everyone thinks their choice is the best (or worst sometimes) and everyone else must need more time to learn because they just don't 'get it'. lol...

I'd say there are two sites to become very good friends with and read ALL the comments when you narrow things down to your short list for the components. Newegg.com and monoprice.com They both specialize in computer gear or related items at prices below the retail average (by a WIDE margin in some cases) and for Newegg, it's comment/review system is very mature and more useful than a thousand 'advice please?' posts on sites, in my opinion.

Two real important things if you want to build a gaming system though. NEVER compromise on video. You don't have to get the most expensive, but don't make the choice from a 'well..this'll work I guess' perspective. The regret lasts FAR longer than the sting of a higher price would have...I know. Also make liquid cooling your friend. My wife and I both have liquid cooling on our CPU's and the difference it's made just has to be seen. It's worth every penny and will be a gift that keeps on giving.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join