It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maher: There's a Term for People Who Hate Charity and Love killing - Christians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
newsbusters.org...

BILL MAHER: Are you watching these debates? I mean, yes, the politicians are bad, but the people who egg them on. There, these crowds cheering for executions, cheering for letting people without health insurance die. In today's Republican Party there's a term for people who hate charity and love killing: Christian. These are Christians?

You got to love hate and bigotry from the left. No really, you have to. It's ok when they do it. At least, it seems that way since nobody in the media or on the internet really raises a fuss about the things this man says. Unlike say, Ann Coulter.

Unfortunately for the lemmings that watch his show, Maher is incorrect. According to Arthur C. Brooks (a professor at Syracuse University), Republicans, conservatives and Christians give a lot more to charity than the likes of Bill Maher or the Democrats he champions.

www.realclearpolitics.com...

If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Should we expect a letter from Henry Rollins to Bill Maher?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Bill Maher is an idiot and only says the crap he does for shock value. See, he has to use shock value because he is not a good comedian. I'm not a Christian but he is an idiot. That is all.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
Bill Maher is an idiot and only says the crap he does for shock value. See, he has to use shock value because he is not a good comedian. I'm not a Christian but he is an idiot. That is all.

I'm not christian either. I'm just an agnostic who sees what appears to be acceptable hate and bigotry directed towards Christians by the main stream media. Imagine if Ann Coulter had said something like this about Muslims? Every network would run a story on it and would be calling for her to publicly apologize.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gannicus

I am no fan of Coulter either, but I see what you are saying.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Well I certainly don't know how they possibly got their information for this article I have given blood a few times and never was asked if I was democrat republican or anything they also didn't ask when I donated to the police beneveolent society or the children's hospital or the fire men at the stoplight, etc, etc, I think statistics are Garbage!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
neo96: theres a term for people who hate charity and love killing-liberals

just look at their stances on entitlements and abortion and hate christians

always the pot calling the kettle with maher
edit on 17-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Your upset because Maher told the truth? Have you even watched the debates? When the candidates talk about war the audience cheers. When did it become the Christian principal to applaud the death of other? What happened to love your enemy? And seeing how the Republicans has hijacked Jesus to support their cause seeing how Jesus became a capitalist somewhere down the line. The Christians will catch flak until they separate themselves from political parties.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Your source is Arthur C.Brooks? The same Professor Brooks who is President of the "American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research"?

Well, that august body, a bastion of right-wing extreme conservitism is also well known for its racist views and determined efforts to place the blame for all of the world's problems (not just America's) on people that are colors other than white, and religion that is other than Christian. Any research or quotes from that Institute and the Professor must be considered with the knowledge that they are racist and extremely biased.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
So what precisely defines one as a Christian?

Bill Maher is a mediocre excuse for an entertainer. He like many of his ilk seem to relish in whatever negative spin they can assosiate with this nebulous group they call Christians.

So, I ask, what the hell is a Christian as defined by him and those who give his speech merit?

I'm starting to think that being a Christian must be a good thing considering how demonized they are by the hollow shills in the MSM.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

yeah i sat there and watch a lefty say he killed bin laden the nobel peace prize winner also bombed the hell out of
liyba
pakistan
afghanistan
yemen
somaila

epic fail by maher and those who support that

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If there really were a billion christians on the planet we'd see an epic push for peace and love that would dwarf the hippy movement of the 60s. We haven't seen this because Christianity is basically b.s. Like all religions. Great for division, great for inspiring people to kill and die and judge others, pretty much useless for anything else.

What some see as Christian hate is the new unapologetic belief in the downfall of all religions. Religion holds people back, keeps people intolerant, and embracing of war. Time for all of it to stop so sanity can be given a chance. It's all a bunch of silly story nonsense anyway and everyone knows it. As if there is a book out there that has the 'only' path to Heaven. What a crock. Blows my mind that people actually believe this stuff.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Your upset because Maher told the truth? Have you even watched the debates? When the candidates talk about war the audience cheers. When did it become the Christian principal to applaud the death of other?

I think you misunderstand the reason for the cheering. You're buying in to the left wing media spin. I also dismiss the notion anyone "cheered" about the death of a person without health insurance. It was a few "yeahs" from the audience that could have been anyone and to me it was in response to the idea people dont like paying for other people's irresponsibility. Not their death...

What happened to love your enemy? And seeing how the Republicans has hijacked Jesus to support their cause seeing how Jesus became a capitalist somewhere down the line. The Christians will catch flak until they separate themselves from political parties.

How do you not see that you're making broad generalizations based on stereotypes and political propaganda?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

He's an idiot always will be..

Seen plenty of christian's who give a lot to charity. Can't say we're short on angry christian's though, that seem to believe killing others is proper. That's more the people than the religion. Simple minds find simple solutions, and justify them with simple beliefs.
edit on 17-9-2011 by Miraj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Well, how about during the Crusades when arabs were taking over whole countries?

every day in battle

George Washington at Valley Forge

edit on 17-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Conservatives give more to charity according to research from a group, so this automatically overrules the fact that we have this mentality from many conservatives celebrating executions and the death of people due to insurance? How does that work? Do you support the reaction of those folks at the debate or not?

As far as I can see it, if you:

1. Insist to control the bodies of women over this insistence to preserve life, yet

2. Justify executions, even though it's still taking life, even though in the view of conservatives, life is precious, even though innocent men and women have had their lives taken due to being wrongly convicted,

3. To continue to support unjustified wars over a course of history.

Then you inconsistent in your beliefs and values, you're a hypocrite, plain and simple.

There are many liberals who tend to be hypocritical in the things they claim to stand for, and this is very well the same of many conservatives. While Bill Maher may be generalizing conservatives, it doesn't change the hypocrisy coming from many folks on the rightwing, and silence of many others on the rightwing just because they're "on the same team".

As for charity, it is a shame that in todays world we don't have enough of it. In a perfect world, charity would be the ideal alternative to any need of government to get involved in such matters, but we don't live in the perfect world. You cannot look to charity, insist that this is the one and only solution, and just ignore implications, factors, limitations surrounding charities.

If the only solution to the healthcare crises is to leave it be, cut all regulations and taxes, and hope private businesses and charities will fill the void, then you're going nowhere.

The mere fact republican candidates refuse to talk about privatizing medicare once they assume office should be a good indicator as to how much confidence these people have over charities and private insurers. They know it's suicide with the elderly voters as well.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

yeah i sat there and watch a lefty say he killed bin laden the nobel peace prize winner also bombed the hell out of
liyba
pakistan
afghanistan
yemen
somaila

epic fail by maher and those who support that

Maher must be the Old Left where peace and love anti-war pacifism prevails. OBama is the New Left where any war can be waged as a means to an end.Maher just didn't get the memo yet that now war is ok if its for their pet causes.
edit on 17-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gannicus
I think you misunderstand the reason for the cheering. You're buying in to the left wing media spin.

I clearly saw cheering, there was media spin needed. There was talk of somebody dying due to not having insurance, cheering. No soundbites, no clarification, just cheering. If you insist to label this as "liberalo media spin" you've made up your mind a while ago.

I get it with folks on the rightwing, it's this idea of when life is precious and when it isn't. Life is only precious when it's the womb and once it's out, that's life. Life begins at conception and therefor it cannot be touched, but life can be taken regardless of the risk to it's innocence when we talk about the law, when we talk about legal and societal dictation of it's value.

We must all sit here and follow the moral guidelines of those on the rightwing. I'm sorry, that's a load of BS if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

my moral guidelines give me utter contempt for a certain group of people in this country who claim murder and war is wrong.

and then go make war and support the death of over 30 million unborn children.

maher and the left can never claim moral superiority over anyone in this country and thats not even bringing up the death penalty which they hate but try to make the victims families pay their lifetime to keep that person alive when in fact

they didnt have too much problems comiting murder

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join