It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever Volunteer to be Hypnotized? Been Hypnotized on Stage with a Group? Please share your experien

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

Am very interested in hypnosis here. So, please, If you have any experiences I would love to hear from you. Even how your unbelief turned to belief that it is real.
Honestly, I would have NEVER believed hypnosis possible but then my mother shared her experience with me. ..

Do any of you guys remember Dr. Shock from shock theater? Tommy Reynolds was the guy... Well, mom knew him and he was studying hypnosis back then... To make a long story short, mom was hypnotized by Tommy , she bocked like a chicken, was burned by a cigarette to show her proof of this, etc. I can't remember it all but I could ask her again.

Anyhow, she was hypnotized to not feel the pain of the cig burn though...so thankfully she never felt any. It did blister and made a scar though. It's still there to this day. Anywho, I took her word for it..and this really started my interest and questions. I wanted to know HOW it was done, etc. People would be surprised how the mind works and how the concious mind can be bypassed..

Well, when a hypnosis show rolled around, I just HAD to go to see for myself! I watched several of my friends volunteer, and they become hypnotized . Saw this with my own two eyes lol. This show was for adults and it was totally hilarious!! I might add. My jaws hurt me that night for I laughed soO hard at what all they did under this hypnotic state. What a night and experience!

So, I was wondering, have you ever volunteered at one of these shows, or have you been hypnotized? What was your experience? What do you remember? What did your onlookers have to tell you that you did, that you do not remember?

Would REALLY love to hear from you -if you have a story to tell , please post-share it here. Maybe, we can even make believers out of the skeptics?

I realize that this type of hypnosis was all in fun... But it is truly scary what other things can be done with the right '''know how''...

As of now, we'll just talk about the FUN side, that hypnosis could bring about... k?.
Thanks in advance!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I've seen a few of these performances, some have been at workplace parties, etc. and I've volunteered to be a part of it once... I was open-minded, tried to "get into" the vibe and nada, nothing, zilch it was a bust, nothing happened to me, though others claimed to have been hypnotized and did what was asked of them (you know, bark like a dog, crawl on the floor, whatever). I just felt pressure to "play along" since everyone was watching. I am convinced that in these environments, people who are "hypnotized" are doing so because it's a good excuse to be silly. Another words, not real.

Now, in a different setting like a therapeutic environment perhaps, I am able to accept that some forms of hypnotherapy may be more legit, applicable and relevant.

edit on 17-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Some people are naturals for suggestion, on stage hypnotists will use simple tests to find those who are going to respond easily and use these for the show. For others it can take a great deal of time and patience to even enter a light trance. If given enough time almost anyone can use suggestion as a powerful tool.

I've seen some fascinating things done with suggestion.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Some are more susceptible than others with this technique, I believe. Hey, it's probably a GOOD thing you couldn't BE hypnotized..... maybe we all need to find out what makes you tick so as to defend ourselves from this sort of stuff.

Agreed, lots of folk can fake... but these guys, my friends weren't faking at all... They were embarrassed!!! lol

Some IS fakery, I agree, but not all.

Appreciate your sharing.... Very interesting in that you couldn't be... I HOPE that I can't be ''messed' with''... My wish - however, I do not know for sure. Maybe I should volunteer one day lol... I'm chicken chit though lol.
edit on 17-9-2011 by SeekerLou because: Edit to remove typo

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
Some people are naturals for suggestion, on stage hypnotists will use simple tests to find those who are going to respond easily and use these for the show. For others it can take a great deal of time and patience to even enter a light trance. If given enough time almost anyone can use suggestion as a powerful tool.

I've seen some fascinating things done with suggestion.

Hi and thanks for your response , I forget.

Yeah , I was watching very closely that night... Noticed that they had to send a few folk back to their seats, etc.

And yes, me too..... the power of suggestion does amaze me!

Appreciate your input!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

I'm certainly not beyond being influenced. Who knows, perhaps in a more intimate setting hypnosis would effect me differently. Again, I'm not doubting that hypnotherapy can be a valid tool, I'm simply doubting the performance show...

edit on 17-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I understand your position totally...
Appreciate your reply once again..
Hope my post didn't come across in a wrong fashion... I just meant basically, that I would hope to be like you in that I wouldn't be able to be hynotized easily For the thought of being hypnotized is kinda scary to me...
, when it comes to ME doing it lol... Maybe that is better wording?

I'm very much interested to hear now from the other side of the fence... Who's had an actual experience?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
hello, ive half-studied hypnotism and have been induced a couple of times myself.

it's very real.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

For most people it just takes practice much like any other skill. Each time a trance is successfully induced will make the next time easier and deeper. Once a certain level of hypnosis is reached anyone is susceptible to suggestion. It is certainly beneficial to know your subject in order to tailor the technique to both what the person finds calming and those senses that they favor.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I had hypnotherapy to stop smoking. It
was done by someone I trust and in a
quiet location.. She told me it might
take a few sessions, I was cured in
one session. It worked wonders for
me but I wouldn't want to go under by
someone I didn't know or have trust in.
edit on 17-9-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerLou

I'm very much interested to hear now from the other side of the fence... Who's had an actual experience?

What do you want to know exactly?

Nothing actually happens or changes, it doesnt feel any different. Most of the time you dont remember being under although it is entirely possible to remember if you want. When in a trance you take things very literally and are hyper sensitive to tone and inflection. It could be said that when in a trance there is a direct path open to the part of your conciseness that forms perceptions so that it is a powerful tool for altering or changing those perceptions. What can be said of perception can also be said of emotion and memory for hypnosis.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

What do you want to know exactly?

Anything and everything !... Yeah ...maybe I need to change the title to Hypnotists AND hypnotees, I'd love to know all about it as possible....

Nothing actually happens or changes, it doesnt feel any different. Most of the time you dont remember being under although it is entirely possible to remember if you want. When in a trance you take things very literally and are hyper sensitive to tone and inflection. It could be said that when in a trance there is a direct path open to the part of your conciseness that forms perceptions so that it is a powerful tool for altering or changing those perceptions. What can be said of perception can also be said of emotion and memory for hypnosis.

Yes, I realize lots of folk do NOT remember things..Tone and inflection sensitivity huh?
And thank you for your input here...I believe you.......... Very interesting indeed..
A willing listening student here
This topic amazes me. Thank you for your reply!.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I had hypnotherapy too, to try to stop dipping tobacco, and to try to lose weight. I went to multiple sessions and while I enter a relaxed state very quickly, most of the time I was very conscious of what the hypnotherapist was saying, and I definitely didn't get up from any session a changed person. The way she explained it to me, they can't make you believe something you don't actually believe, so suggestions like "the dip tastes horrible" were instantly rejected, since to me, at the time, dip tasted wonderful and thinking about the taste made me recall the buzz and good feeling and crave more. On the other hand, the simpler and more positive suggestions were something I didn't reject, such as "Notice how good you feel right now. You feel fine just as you are." Over time, I do believe that the hypnotherapy contributed, because it helped reinforce those thoughts such that I was able to gain power over the addiction, and yes, I did eventually quit dipping, about a year later, with the help of Topomax (a prescription drug that acts on the area of your brain that nicotine acts on so you do not crave it). I used the Topomax for 1 month and that was it, I never dipped again. That was in 1997. As far as helping to lose weight, the few sessions I had with the hypnotherapist on that were again, helpful in maintaining the right mindset, but working with my trainer and learning about nutrition was really key. I must also mention that while much of his work is gimmicky, the "I can make you thin" CD that comes with the book of the same name, by Paul McKenna, is great, I found that one years later. For a while a couple years ago when I had gained a few pounds back, I would plug in as I was going to bed each night and listen to that on my iPod, and I would drop right off just about the time he starts purring into both ears in stereo, at the same time, and it truly did help keep the momentum going to lose the extra pounds again. I think he combines his vocal hypnosis technique with binaural beats - I found it very effective.

Lastly, check out Derren Brown on YouTube if you get the chance (sorry, don't have any links handy). He is a mentalist and can get people to do all kinds of interesting things and they don't appear to realize it. An English friend of mine gave me a set of his TV shows a while back, to watch, and it was amazing, he would just stop and say a word or two to somebody walking down the street and the person would freeze inplace for the next hour without moving. He came to Sedona and did an episode whee he out-psychic'd the psychics. Interesting stuff!

edit on 17-0920119-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: Spelling fix

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I had hypnotherapy to stop smoking. It
was done by someone I trust and in a
quiet location.. She told me it might
take a few sessions, I was cured in
one session. It worked wonders for
me but I wouldn't want to go under by
someone I didn't know or have trust in.
edit on 17-9-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

Hey, that is great! Can you jump in the air and kick your feet together now?
Only us old timers will get that one. But that is a marvelous share. So proud you were able to kick the habit!

I agree in that, if I were to be hypnotised... it would def by someone I knew and trusted. At least I would feel somewhat safer that way!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I doubt you'll find many people on ATS who have been hypnotised, mainly due to our questioning nature.

ALS

edit on 17-9-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

I can hypnotise people and learned to do this through the various things I have read involving the mind and some conspiracy related things such as media manipulation etc.

I can do a non verbal induction technique which is where you do not speak a word, touch a persons shoulders, arms, legs and finally head then they are under hypnosis. You can also do this through a handshake if it is timed correctly.

I have been doing this now for approximately a year with close friends and family but just recently hypnotised some people in public for the first time (whilst on holiday) and it went down a storm for both myself and the people involved.

Anyone can be hypnotised, it is similar to being in a daydream-like state, the only thing that can stop you from being hypnotised is yourself, for example, if you are not wanting to be hypnotised, uncomfortable with your surroundings or the person hypnotising you. It also will not work if you are too busy thinking or worrying about what is going to happen etc.

The way I see it though, if a hypnotist is not able to put you under hypnosis, it is mostly because they are poor at it and have not explained exactly what can and cannot be done whilst you are hypnotised. The biggest lie that a lot of poor hypnotists use is that people who do not believe in it cannot be hypnotised, there is a lot of charlatans out there that just want money like anything else I suppose.

I cannot tell you what it is like to be hypnotised as I never have been yet but thought I would share from the other perspective as someone who can do this, which is why I chimed in.

One other thing, hypnotherapy is different from hypnosis in general.

edit on 17-9-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

Cool Beaver.

I believe it can be real also. Thank you for your reply.

Maybe when you get a chance , will you consider sharing your being induced experience?

Appreciate ya!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Hypnosis is not what some of you apparently think.
There is really no such thing be being "under".
You are totally conscious the whole time.
If you are attentively reading this thread, you are in a state of hypnosis.
When you sit down to watch your favorite TV show, you are in a state of hypnosis withing 20 seconds.

Have you ever been driving down the road to or from some familiar place and suddenly notice that the landscape seems unfamiliar and wondered if you had missed your turn-off road? That is because you were in a state of hypnosis.

Lots of good info on the net. Do a search for it. Here's a good one for starters:
www.neuro-vision.us...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

You have a point there alostsoul... the majority probably are very questioning, etc..

Hey I see a hynotist has come in...haven't had the chance to read all of his post yet.! That's just as good or even better. Maybe I or we can learn a thing or two,.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

XXX ...wow... This totally amazes me.
. I am sO glad you popped in and I wish to comment or question further, if you don't mind.
Am afk alot tonight and not much time right now...
Just want to say thank you FOR jumping in... So happy you did.
I have studied a bit of hypnosis....
Such a fascinating study. I only have an incling thus far as to how it works but I'm beginning to understand quite a few things actually.

I'll comment further later ok?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join