It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street Has Begun!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I'm in NY and I was at the protest yesterday, couldn't stay as long as I wanted to, but I did come through. nice to see america still has some spirit, and I'll be popping down there during the week as circumstances permit.
edit on 18-9-2011 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2011 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

Although I agree with much of what you say, half of it is getting together with like minded people in the real world, not from behind your computer, people can meet up and get that sense of solidarity that can not be created over the web. They may not know what they want to replace the system with but reconnecting with people is a good start IMO. These things provide an opportunity for people to thrash out ideas and hopefully educate one another.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bargoose

Originally posted by bigyin
Doesn't appear to be any mention of this at all on BBC website

secondline

A media blackout.
They're scared of contagion to other countries of a mass global uprising against Banks etc.

But word will get round one way or another. Lets hope.

To be fair, it was peaceful and no major disruption was caused. There are protests of one type of another all over the word every day. Most don't get reported except by the local news. It's really not of much interest to the majority of Britons. Unless Jordan or Kelly Brook was there topless.

The AFP News agency reported it as it appears did most of the main US newspapers
edit on 18-9-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Troublesome

I couldn't help but notice that all of the cities you mentioned are in Europe, with the exception of the Capital city of Libtardia... San Francisco. In other words, this is a complete waste of time and no one of any real significance is buying into this ridiculous and stupid idea. A few hundred, or even a few thousand, commie hippies sleeping in tents outside of the NYSE is not a movement, and it is not going to accomplish anything.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by Troublesome

I couldn't help but notice that all of the cities you mentioned are in Europe, with the exception of the Capital city of Libtardia... San Francisco. In other words, this is a complete waste of time and no one of any real significance is buying into this ridiculous and stupid idea. A few hundred, or even a few thousand, commie hippies sleeping in tents outside of the NYSE is not a movement, and it is not going to accomplish anything.

Afraid of change?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

It got your attention though. So much so that you felt the need to take time out of your day to comment about it

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Unless I'm mistaken, he's alluding to the idea that it's going to take a lot more than mildly annoyed hipsters in tents to garner any amount of actual change. Do you think the billionaires in their 63rd floor office suite are going to affected by this in any way. shape or form? That's a rhetorical question and the answer is absolutely not.

The only way anything will ever change is with something along the lines of this:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Wall Street Occupation: Required Supplies for Occupiers

* iPhone w/apps so one doesn't get bored protesting. (Short attention span syndrome - SASS - strikes again!)

* Dedicated Facebook page so one can post pics of you and your friends hanging out.

* Prepaid Visa card to use when ordering Pizza.

* Reusable Starbucks mugs to get free caffeine fixes so one doesn't fall asleep while holding a protest sign in front of the media.

* Prepaid attorney contact number that Daddy gave you in case you're arrested for loitering.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I'm embarrassed for my generation. The sentiment is great, the execution is something a 15 year old would come up with.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brentnauer
reply to post by redoubt

I'm embarrassed for my generation. The sentiment is great, the execution is something a 15 year old would come up with.

You know, I am not at all against protesting the corporatation of my country... or the way that civil liberties have been traded for perceived safety. But what really bothers me is that there seems to be a complete lack of sincerity in the effort. It does almost seem contrived by... someone, somewhere, to install some undefined concept.

I think we could do ourselves a favor by taking our nation back... but we could use a shot of reality and a lot less corporate comfort incorporated into the protesting part.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Che Guevara would be proud.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

HAHA.... That was good. Look everyone I know there are problems with the system but you really don't want a communist, zeigiest style society. I challenge you guys to find someone who's lived in a Soviet Russia or East Germany and had the best time ever. Better yet, watch this cartoon that predicts the future 60 years ago.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 18-9-2011 by wardk28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
As much as people may crtique the efforts of the concerned and for all the flailing of those unacustomed to creating change a few simple facts remain.
Change is normal, natural and nessecary for the healthy development of any system.
People are not experiencing the full potential of their respective nations.
Some rage with barely contained frustration at what they perceive as feeble attempts to ellicit change.
Many others are not adversely affected by the current state of things.
Others still, openly benefit from this same state of things.
But the change is coming, though the outcome is, as yet, undetermined. What the individual desires must be expressed or the ideals of democracy will not be maintained as they are at democracies core, instead it will become a new beast, evolved and adapted in response to the greater force.
Apathy will only undermine the healthy development of this evolving democratic beast.
Whatever YOUR desired outcome may be, it is essential to voice it for the system will fail without.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The problem is that peaceful protests, in the long run, accomplish nothing.

Unless the elite slimballs who think they own the world and all of us in it, fear for their very lives, NOTHING will change.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier

The Tea Party Defends Wall St. As US Day Of Rage Protests Corruption

www.politicususa.com...

Tea Baggers

edit on 18-9-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

It figures that these shills for the elite would try to usurp this protest. Tea Partiers are pieces of garbage.

Again, tomorrow will be the day to watch. All it takes is one plant with a gun or a moltov to set Wall Street onto a course of bloody violence.

ACCEPTING CORPORATE MONEY IN POLITICS TO INFLUENCE POLICY AND LAWS IS AN ACT OF TREASON, AND SHOULD BE PUNISHABLE BY DEATH.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Scarecrow
The problem is that peaceful protests, in the long run, accomplish nothing.

Unless the elite slimballs who think they own the world and all of us in it, fear for their very lives, NOTHING will change.

Oh believe me. The peaceful protests are the stepping stone to violent overthrow.

The breaking point will come when we wake up and are told that our dollars are worthless. God help any shill for the elite that is caught with his or her pants down that day, they will not survive the wrath of the people.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Its so wonderful to read some of the replies on ATS. I for one have been following this, if i had the money to travel down i would and im not even american.

Think of it this way, At least people are down there trying to change things while most of the people who insult them spend their time in front of a computer screen saying they're life is fine so they dont need to protest..

GTFO, The revolution is coming. You think this is it? I believe this is only the beginning. I believe this will spread like wildfire and then what? are you still going to be sitting in front of your computer bitching about it?

The age range that showed up at that demonstration was from 15 - 90. I watched the live stream when they interviewed a guy who was at least 75.

Haters gunna hate

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I've seen a more effective protest in a retirement home regarding the poor quality of the food they serve there.

.... no further comment. Pfft.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSkyAt least people are down there trying to change things while most of the people who insult them spend their time in front of a computer screen saying they're life is fine so they dont need to protest..

It's easy to "protest" when you've got your $400 smart phone and a $7 Frappucino in your hand. Real change begins with sacrifice. Have you seen documentaries on the Civil Rights Movement? People getting sprayed with water cannons and getting the piss beat out them? That's a protest and that's the way to get things accomplished. Change is painful. This is sad.

Day of Apathy equates to hanging out with friends, listening to the nice policemen and amusing businessmen with their sentiments of entitlement.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LexiconV

Hey... Get out there yourself, if you think you can do better. This thing just started, and could very well grow by Monday into something much bigger.

Unless you shillz are there and actually taking action, I suggest you keep your mouth shut.

That is all. And yes... I just woke up and still haven't had coffee, lol...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join