It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Occupy Wall Street Has Begun!

page: 7
293
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akasirus


I don't mean blackout in a literal sense, i'm just saying this should have been (and still should be) on every major news network's channel throughout the day with updates. A simple article downplaying the magnitude is as good as nothing. The articles are nowhere on the networks websites main pages or anywhere that they can be easily viewed. Only people that already know about the event found the articles, and that's only because they searched for them, so lets stop pretending this is getting any sort of real coverage. They are doing their best to suppress this event. And CNN's article downplays it by stating "hundreds of protesters" when there were tens of thousands of people out there, and there's currently over a thousand sleeping in tents. Not to mention Twitter actually censoring "#OccupyWallStreet" from being a trending topic. Al Jazeera was the only network on top of it.


And Kicking2bears...like JFK said, "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."




posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
solidarity ∞ sovereignty
equality ∞ emancipation
liberty ∞ life

∞LOVE∞
edit on 18-9-2011 by awake1234 because: new life



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

the song revolutinary by immortal tech the rapper who is at the protest

thought it was called for
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 18-9-2011 by icecold7 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Does anybody have any idea how many people showed up for the day of rage? i see most MSM report "hundreds" while one outlet mentions the alleged blackout and says 50,000 protesters showed up.

anybody know anyone there?



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer
 

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
was wandering where the ATS thread was.....bout time.

Any ATSers there to give a eye witness account?


YES! I was there, I could not stay more than one day but I came out today for the big protest. Heres how it went down:

NYPD was ready for us, at first they blocked off everywhere we wanted to go in the financial district. But as our numbers swelled we began to block all the traffic in the area......not because we wanted too, simply because NYPD wouldn't let us go to the park. So eventually they let us through. Some were arrested trying to get through the barriers but the entire protest was very peaceful.

Once we were in the park we sectioned off into groups and talked about the problems our country faces and potential solutions. I had quite a heated argument with a few socialists there.

The police were just as plentiful as the protesters, which shows you how scared they where. Anon was there in force as well as wikileaks!

I will post pictures in this forum soon, as soon as the gf gets them off of her camera and sends them to me


Overall I would say this was a good experience, and I don't know if anything will come of it but one can always hope. The only thing that disturbed me was the mas amounts of people there that say capitalism has failed. True free market capitalism hasn't been the economy of the U.S. for over 100 years, we have turned into a controled capitalistic kleptocracy, led mostly by corporations and very rich individuals
edit on 18-9-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako
 


have some protesters remained? how many?

how many were there today in total you think?

what do you think was acheived today?

are you aware that there has been very little, if any coverage on CNN, BBc world and other news channels, like it never happened!!



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Attacking capitalism , occupying the wall street , its pointless , and outdated.

there is only going to be a fight , and everyone there goes home feeling ripped off .

the elements which ruin these things are paid agents . people are just walking into a trap .

a slightly more sophisticated modus operandi would be required to acheive the goals i am sure most have a moral and right aspiration to acheive.

we rely on capitalism the system for all our needs. untill we have replaced that system , likely with localised land and energy sharing schemes , effeicient ecological production methods etc etc ,

which all exist to replace that system if we so wish ,

until we replace the system , we will never get anywhere in attacking nor undermining the existing.

capitalism , thankfully , is more of a means than an end. if permaculture , is what the consumers demand , permaculture, is what they will get . the market supplies all the means , the tools , the maintenance , until the consumer is satisfied

if there is something missing in the quest for the above (local replacement of previously exploitative systems), protest that
. a little street gathering , is not going to solve anything.



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Doesn't appear to be any mention of this at all on BBC website


secondline



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
probably rolling over in his grave right about now.







posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Doesn't appear to be any mention of this at all on BBC website


secondline



A media blackout.
They're scared of contagion to other countries of a mass global uprising against Banks etc.

But word will get round one way or another. Lets hope.



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoguePhilosopher
reply to post by Skerrako
 


have some protesters remained? how many?

how many were there today in total you think?

what do you think was acheived today?

are you aware that there has been very little, if any coverage on CNN, BBc world and other news channels, like it never happened!!


I would say there were about 1000 there at the peak, and maybe 300-400 staying overnight. It was less than everyone thought but it was much better than the last showing! Many people that could not make it out yesterday are coming out today so look for the numbers to swell again.

There were a number of local news agencies there, but honestly I dont think the big outlets are really into reporting non-violent protests. If we broke a few windows I'm sure all the MSM would be there. I did spot these articles though:

money.cnn.com...

abcnews.go.com...

What was accomplished? Mostly forming a solid base to build on. Rome wasn't built in a day and grassroots revolutionary movements take a while to truly form. We talked about our one demand (which seems to be break up the monopoly of big banks controlling our economy or stopping corporate personhood).

But this is not over, hundreds more are coming in as we speak, and even though I couldnt stay overnight, Im looking forward to returning next weekend and helping the process in anyway I can



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako
 


If its not 10's to 100's of thousands then TPTB and media wont take much interest or give much coverage!



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier

The Tea Party Defends Wall St. As US Day Of Rage Protests Corruption



www.politicususa.com...

Tea Baggers

edit on 18-9-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)


Forgive them for they are ignorant and easily led. Apparently the Koch brothers do not approve of this action and has issued orders to their lackeys. This tea party is nothing more than perversion of the tea party Ron Paul started.



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
we now have video evidence!




posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
They need support, get the word out and go and join the protest.



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Troublesome
I would have posted this earlier but I figured there would have already been a thread up on it. I know there were threads leading up to this, but not one for the actual event taking place right now.

The Occupy Wall Street protest kicked off today and is going very well. Tens of thousands of people have showed up in NYC and have been occupying all day and will continue to do so for the coming months. They are setting up a tent city. The police are allowing the event take place, they have hundreds of officers out. Wall Street itself has been blocked off and the bull statue has been barricaded and is guarded by dozens of officers. People are marching in parades and chanting, everyone has signs and several people have masks on to remain anonymous.

Everyone is getting free dinner at 6 pm and then an open mic will take place afterwards. Rappers Lupe Fiasco and Immortal Technique are both protesting with the crowd. Everything has been peaceful so far.

You can watch the protest live at: www.livestream.com...

There are occupations also taking place in San Francisco, London, Madrid, Milan, Cairo, Paris, Valencia, Lisbon and Athens. I'm hearing there are about 500 people already in San Fran and there's a nice crowd in Madrid as well.

Twitter has censored the hashtag #OccupyWallStreet from their trending topics list so everyone has switched to #TakeWallStreet which is trending worldwide and #4 in the New York area.

CNN has declared a media blackout on the event and the other networks are also refusing to even mention the event.



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Troublesome
I would have posted this earlier but I figured there would have already been a thread up on it. I know there were threads leading up to this, but not one for the actual event taking place right now.

The Occupy Wall Street protest kicked off today and is going very well. Tens of thousands of people have showed up in NYC and have been occupying all day and will continue to do so for the coming months. They are setting up a tent city. The police are allowing the event take place, they have hundreds of officers out. Wall Street itself has been blocked off and the bull statue has been barricaded and is guarded by dozens of officers. People are marching in parades and chanting, everyone has signs and several people have masks on to remain anonymous.

Everyone is getting free dinner at 6 pm and then an open mic will take place afterwards. Rappers Lupe Fiasco and Immortal Technique are both protesting with the crowd. Everything has been peaceful so far.

You can watch the protest live at: www.livestream.com...

There are occupations also taking place in San Francisco, London, Madrid, Milan, Cairo, Paris, Valencia, Lisbon and Athens. I'm hearing there are about 500 people already in San Fran and there's a nice crowd in Madrid as well.

Twitter has censored the hashtag #OccupyWallStreet from their trending topics list so everyone has switched to #TakeWallStreet which is trending worldwide and #4 in the New York area.

CNN has declared a media blackout on the event and the other networks are also refusing to even mention the event.



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Troublesome
 


anything for seattle orginaztion?



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
uh.. its the weekend. lemme re phrase that


THEY ARE CLOSED DURING THE WEEKEND!

so have fun.

I cant be the only one who has said this.. you all gonna stick around monday? or the occupying gonna shut down when they go back to work?
edit on 18-9-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It srarted on the weekend. They don't plan on leaving any time soon, which means they will be there when it opens




top topics



 
293
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

log in

join