Occupy Wall Street Has Begun!

page: 2
293
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp
 


Well the reason they started on a Saturday was because a lot more people could come out on the weekend and show support, which would help start the event off with a bang. It is also National Constitution Day and they felt they would receive less police pressure on a Saturday.

They did a dry-run on September 1st with a group of people to see how the police response would be. They also have a legal team on hand and NLG Legal Observers there with bright green hats on to neutrally observe police interactions. Everything they are doing is completely legal so they should be okay:

"According to a federal court ruling in 2000, the use of "public sleeping as a means of symbolic expression" is allowed on public sidewalks in New York City. (METROPOLITAN COUNCIL, INC., Plaintiff, -against- HOWARD SAFIR, Commissioner of the New York City Police Department, et al., June 12, 2000 [99 F. Supp. 2d 438; 2000 U.S. Dist.]). The demonstrators of Bloombergville also employed this tactic for an occupation that lasted a few weeks."




posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Man I wish I could get there. If anyone from the central Florida area wants to go let me know. I wouldn't mind driving if people want to chip in for fuel. Or if there is someone heading that way I'll for sure ride. But I think this is awesome, hopefully this does last a while and doesnt fizzle out like other things.



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp
 

Maybe there is wisdom to 'starting' it on Sat, because on a week(work)day, the assembly would have been shut down in it's process, whereas starting on a Saturday allows for a build up of people. But yea, it will be interesting come Monday, and as someone mentioned, there could be a covert(pretend) protestor inciting violence to get the thing shut down. Seems to work most of the time.



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
If they are there through this entire week, they'll have my respect. Anything less is not worth mentioning.



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Their gonna hate it when they run out of peanut butter...


+1 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have a suggestion:
Why don't we, ATS-ers go to the CNN or Reuters site, or any news site you want and flood them with requests to report this event? Maybe if enough people will start asking questions, they will decide to report.
At least we will do something to help...let's make a change, even from far away.

I'm on my way already.
edit on 17-9-2011 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Troublesome
reply to post by OldCorp
 


Well the reason they started on a Saturday was because a lot more people could come out on the weekend and show support, which would help start the event off with a bang. It is also National Constitution Day and they felt they would receive less police pressure on a Saturday.

They did a dry-run on September 1st with a group of people to see how the police response would be. They also have a legal team on hand and NLG Legal Observers there with bright green hats on to neutrally observe police interactions. Everything they are doing is completely legal so they should be okay:

"According to a federal court ruling in 2000, the use of "public sleeping as a means of symbolic expression" is allowed on public sidewalks in New York City. (METROPOLITAN COUNCIL, INC., Plaintiff, -against- HOWARD SAFIR, Commissioner of the New York City Police Department, et al., June 12, 2000 [99 F. Supp. 2d 438; 2000 U.S. Dist.]). The demonstrators of Bloombergville also employed this tactic for an occupation that lasted a few weeks."


I suppose that makes sense. They seem to have it all worked out. Now, let's see if they can last past Monday morning's bell. I hope they do, and I wish them all the luck in the world.

BTW, if they are still there Monday, it'll be interesting to see how the LSM weasels out of covering it.



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
CNN has an article on their website:

Hundreds of protesters descend to 'Occupy Wall Street'



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
and I found this on CNN

Wall Street protesters inspired by Arab Spring movement

posted in Tech section

At least is a start.
S&F this thread made my day!
edit on 17-9-2011 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think I may just have to call and order them a pizza! It seems beautifully organized and I wish them the best of luck.

But here's what I am wondering... Do they have any specific, concrete demands? We all want the current situation to change, but what changes would be considered a satisfactory reason to stop protesting? How will they know when/if they have been successful?

That said, it's really, really nice to see this, even if it turns out to be only symbolic!



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Didn't Glenn Beck predict this?



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat
and I found this on CNN

Wall Street protesters inspired by Arab Spring movement

posted in Tech section

At least is a start. S&F
edit on 17-9-2011 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)


GO FIGURE! CNN would have to put a twist on the story just like everything else...arab's influenced us. Get a life CNN obviously your a bunch of retards



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Ok, made the request at Fox, and CNN. They are not going to do it just for me though. So come on ATS let's get moving
(I hope this does not count as recruiting. If it does mods, let me know and I will edit that part out. Thx.)



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Now if we can only get 50,000 people in front of wall street and another 50k in front of Federal Reserve NOW that would be a nice protest go ahead and put 50k in front of the pentagon too



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz
 


Of course they spin it. You don't expect honest JOURNALISM from the MSM, do you????????



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
Now if we can only get 50,000 people in front of wall street and another 50k in front of Federal Reserve NOW that would be a nice protest go ahead and put 50k in front of the pentagon too
You forgot the whitehouse and capitol building. Much more important than doing the pentagon imo.



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
But here's what I am wondering... Do they have any specific, concrete demands?


This is my concern also.

In reality we the people don't have to protest to make change. The problem is the means to produce what we need are privately owned and controlled, to make profit for the owner rather than produce for our needs, so resources are kept artificially scarce. If people realised this, and instead of starting businesses on the capitalist model, started cooperatives instead. It would be a slow change, but it would be faster that any change we have now.


This paper has presented benefits to be gained by moving to a cooperative system and ways of achieving those goals. The end result could represent a great increase in the quality of life for a majority of humanity, but there is a small minority of capitalists who must be convinced to give up their "power" in favor of helping their neighbors. This is the real challenge.

www.boogles.com...

People are scared of the word socialism, so I now declare a new term 'Sensibleism'...

edit on 9/17/2011 by ANOK because: typo



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This was not on the news at all? Why is that?
This seems like big news to me. I am proud of people right now!



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK
 

A rose by any other name, or in this case a manure pile. I am sorry, but you will never convince me to work hard to support those unwilling to work.



posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
God Bless These Guys - occupywallst.org...





new topics
top topics
 
293
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join