Occupy Wall Street Has Begun!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+121 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I would have posted this earlier but I figured there would have already been a thread up on it. I know there were threads leading up to this, but not one for the actual event taking place right now.

The Occupy Wall Street protest kicked off today and is going very well. Tens of thousands of people have showed up in NYC and have been occupying all day and will continue to do so for the coming months. They are setting up a tent city. The police are allowing the event take place, they have hundreds of officers out. Wall Street itself has been blocked off and the bull statue has been barricaded and is guarded by dozens of officers. People are marching in parades and chanting, everyone has signs and several people have masks on to remain anonymous.

Everyone is getting free dinner at 6 pm and then an open mic will take place afterwards. Rappers Lupe Fiasco and Immortal Technique are both protesting with the crowd. Everything has been peaceful so far.

You can watch the protest live at: www.livestream.com...

There are occupations also taking place in San Francisco, London, Madrid, Milan, Cairo, Paris, Valencia, Lisbon and Athens. I'm hearing there are about 500 people already in San Fran and there's a nice crowd in Madrid as well.

Twitter has censored the hashtag #OccupyWallStreet from their trending topics list so everyone has switched to #TakeWallStreet which is trending worldwide and #4 in the New York area.

CNN has declared a media blackout on the event and the other networks are also refusing to even mention the event.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
was wandering where the ATS thread was.....bout time.

Any ATSers there to give a eye witness account?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Oh my!!! Finally!!! We do have a big protest organized in Athens in about 18 hours from now, but I had no idea America was gonna join us - just kidding

I read about this in an article in Greece, but I thought it was only for a day or two. But hey, if people have one chance, this chance is to protest, protest against banks and the cruel economic system that has been forced uppon us, protest against whichever theory states that money is above human life. And if these protests are going to achieve something, anything, then they need to be massive and worldwide. So, lets coordinate people!!!

Here's the article:
www.theinsider.gr...:protesting-the-americans-resentful&catid=52:world&Itemid=79

And here's the rough google translation:

Americans are Angry
In a "day of rage" against the standards of the Middle East merger and takeover of Wall Street in New York, where he is the Stock Exchange, call American activists.

The protest concerns the "corrupt the democratic process" and the financing of election campaigns by giving money to businesses.

Demonstrations are planned in Los Angeles, Austin and other cities, but estimates for the turnout of citizens and the evolution of events is uncertain

Protest antikatanalotikes support groups such as AntiSec and AdBusters, as reported by the Washington Post.

After the marches against the war in Vietnam and the concentrations for the rights of blacks, as Martin Luther King in the 60s and 70s, mass protests were rather rare in the U.S..

However, in the last 10 years, the movement against the wars in Iraq and the economic crisis triggered more and more Americans with the help of the Internet to organize protests. This form of industrial action locally and has chosen the conservative movement Tea Party.

Edit to add: Wonderful, really great news, great thread, great opening post, and of course, S&F!
edit on 17-9-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Anything scheduled for Virginia? I would participate. Next month I am moving to Florida, so if stuff will be going on there, post it. Thx.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Not sure about Virginia...but local groups can always organize and protest in their financial districts. I know a lot more cities are going to be announced, maybe one will start up in D.C. I'll keep checking up on it.

Here are some pictures:

Gotta love his shirt

Section of Wall Street blocked off

People were burning money

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Excellent! I really wish I was there. I have a sweetheart deal worked out with management though. I have to finish the month in order to get "laid off". If it is still going on in October, I may put off going to Florida for a while.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I am in NYC well queens ny anyway.. Now that I know this will be going on for more then just today I will be making my way down there. Maybe tomorrow . Does anyone know how long this is planned for ?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Troublesome

From the pictures you posted I understand it was a big thing, how many people do you think participated in the protest? And by the way, the Police in Greece, unfortunately, supervise protests dressed like Robocop. Your cops seem cool and friendly..! Although, if I may offer an advice, do not underestimate them. Same thing happened to us here in Athens. We started protesting in May, everything was going well and according to plan, we were peaceful and created zero problems, and then all of a sudden, in the end of June, Robocop guys started spraying people with tear gases, hitting them and arresting them for no reason whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Until you leave.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Peaceful and significant protest is a great thing in my opinion, especially at Wall Street in my honest opinion.

Thruthseek3r

+28 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Ok so I am going to head down there now...I actually convinced a few other like minded people to join me. I will report back some time late tonight...

It's about time I get off my ass and get in the fight. I have been saying it for a long while . All along bitching from behind my keyboard...

It actually feels good... Check back later..

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
they should be protesting in front of the federal reserve instead......

link   
anonymous just interupted the livestream with it's own message

link   
Nice navione, it does feel great to get involved. And there is no set date for this to end, people are going to try to stay for as long as they're allowed, they plan on camping for months.

The General Assembly is going to start around 7 pm, where announcements will be made.

Here are some more pics:

This is the free food station, people that couldn't show up have also been ordering food and having it delivered to the park for all the protesters:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

"Occupy Wall Street"
Wow, so this thing is actually getting footing. I was wondering about the effectiveness, just in response, to the notion. The plan calls for a 'camp in" situation too, not just a day of protest, but set up camp until something changes. The list of items of concern from anonymous is pretty encompassing and makes for a significant list of demands(?) This should get interesting because I am sure there are some laws against 'camping' in front of Wall St.
Wonder how much media attention this will get? Me thinks not much because too many people will support the protest and more will show up. This could be a genuine catalyst for a major protest situation, and I hope it doesn't turn into something ugly. I'll be watching this for sure.
edit on 17-9-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I would have thought by now someone would have pointed out the fact that it's a Saturday...

Wouldn't this have been more effective on a weekday? Exactly what are they shutting down? And last question: How much you wanna bet that come Monday morning the police will have cleared the last of them out?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Maybe getting started on a weekend was easier? Let's wait and see what happens Monday before rushing to judgement. I hope this thing hangs on for weeks or even longer. I predict that the NYPD gets orders to break it all up on Monday though.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

This is what I was thinking,
I guess we'll have to wait and see if they are still there Monday.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

they plan on still being there monday... lol

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This is great

Best regards and solidarity to you over there! Please make it last at least until Monday.
Watch out for agent provocateurs, keep it peacefull!
Dont give in if some strange guys show up and attempt to start a riot or something.
The second this protest ist too big to ignore the police may send in some agent provocateurs to discredit the protest.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join