It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Mongering

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Mm, troll. Maybe, but my feeling on that is they are two distinct things. A troll takes delight in derailing a thread using contentious statement or diversionary tactics and is not about inducing fear in people. I honestly believe that some people who are labelled trolls are actually fear mongers and vice versa.

I don't believe trolling is about fear.

Wikipedia defines a troll as:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

whereas Wikipedia defines fear mongering as:

Fear mongering (or scaremongering) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Fear Monger = F..k..g Moron = Find Mummy = Field Mouse

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It just upsets me that we cannot openly discuss science without ignorant people coming and labeling us fear mongers.

I can't even post a dang link about Strontium isotopes without being called a "Navy agent of fear" either. Just happened 10 minutes ago.

I debate the facts, they call me names. Typical.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'm not here to promote fear, quite the contrary. Fear is, in my opinion, almost always an undesirable and potentially debilitating emotional response to any difficult situation or potential threat. Everyone naturally and almost unavoidably experiences fear occasionally, in response to certain perceived threats; the important thing is how we react to it, and how we deal with it.

Primarily I'm here, not to provoke fear, but because I'm interested in a lot of the topics discussed here. I'm here to seek knowledge, ask questions, and to answer them, if I feel that I might be able to contribute something useful to the discussion. To this discussion I would offer this quote, which, I believe, represents a good and useful philosophy to hold against the potentially disabling effects of fear:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

--- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
LeTan, thank you for answering my question about why people would post the information here. And glad that ATS feels like family for you. Just wanted to say thanks.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

I don't know how to link to the site, but this was copy and pasted from Oxford Dictionaries website. Why the dictionary doesn't capitalize, I don't know.

Definition of fearmongering in English

fearmongering

Syllabification: (fear·mon·ger·ing)

Pronunciation: /ˈfi(ə)rˌməNGəriNG/

noun

the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue:his campaign for re-election was based on fearmongering and deception

Derivatives

fearmonger
noun

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

When they say you're "fear mongering" that means they are mad at you because THEY have hidden fears.

I can talk about spirits, aliens, and conspiracies, to me it's fun, to a fearful person it is "fear mongering".

If someone is scared it is up to THEM to feel strong in order to be brave not for the whole world to change to make them happy.

edit on 2-11-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today. This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory.

F.D.R.'s First Inaugural Speech: Nothing to fear
www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNpxQANk0M
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I really like your OP. It really exemplifies the spirit of this particular forum; in other words, trying to find the meaning in life. I don't have an answer to your question, but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed its searching out quality. Stay thirsty, my friend.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join