It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Mongering

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
In the entire time I have been a member, I have noticed an increase in the use of this phrase to describe events, people, and posts.

The question I want to ask is, how do you define a fear monger? When someone uses the word, do they refer to the fear expressed by the person who is making the claim, or the fear that they have in relation to the subject?
Or can we go further and say that the fear monger is using the fear of the mass?

The problem lies in the fact that many people (including ATS'ers) do not fear what the rest of the public fears. Therefore, when I see the word fear mongering on certain subjects, I tend to disagree. For example, natural disasters. They are horrible and can cause major destruction, but I do not fear them. To fear these things is to fear life, because they are part of nature and life. However, the way we live now, I certainly do not blame people if they fear life.

In my opinion, when one uses the phrase "Fear mongering" I have to ask myself, do they fear for themselves or do they fear for the public? How do you define fear when you describe a subject that affects many different people with many different mind sets? What one person see's as fear mongering, another may see it as just information because that fear simply does not exist in their mind set.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
In my opinion: The way I have seen this phrase tossed around and used, on here and in life, is just used to immediately discredit the poster or the post itself. I would rather it not used, it disrupts the flow of the thread, or perhaps causes a person to avoid researching the facts on their own. I can think for myself, I don't need someone else's narrow-minded views to dictate what is discussed....
edit on 9/17/2011 by The Endtime Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Honestly i have no fear in much, because i put my faith in God, I just know whatever happens is supposed to according to His will.

I believe all media control is to keep the masses in fear, by our elites.
your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buildingthenations

Nice to see a fellow God fearing he / she.
I agree with you.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

The question I want to ask is, how do you define a fear monger?

Think of it as a slab of meat that you can serve up a hundred different ways. It may be on buns, or with a baked potato and salad... or perhaps some other way. But the meat remains the same... and in this case, it is fear.

That's fear mongering. The constant feed of the fear article under a hundred guises.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's just a pejorative. An insult without any logical basis.
Ad hominem fallacy.

I am interested in the facts, not the level of fear ignorant people have when they hear the facts.

I don't care how scared or brave you are. I know that it is irrelevant.

I have never seen the terminology used in a useful manner, it is always used as a sly underhanded tactic to "debunk" someone and insult their character and call their motives into question. It insinuates that anyone spreading information about something is making it all up purely to scare people.

I find it one of the most distasteful remarks you can use. People call me it all the time because I am interested in subjects that they irrationally are fearful of. It's a real shame.

I prefer to be disproved with evidence, not personal insults.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by LeTan

Think of it as a slab of meat that you can serve up a hundred different ways. It may be on buns, or with a baked potato and salad... or perhaps some other way. But the meat remains the same... and in this case, it is fear.

That's fear mongering. The constant feed of the fear article under a hundred guises.

Lets use your analogy, I ask you, what about the vegetarians? You may say that in this case, fear is tofu, but, then I could ask you, "what about the people who are not hungry?". The way i see it, fear cannot always be one item when referring to people, because there are many of us, with many different fears.

To define a fear monger, you must first define the fear, but then... who's fear would you be talking about at that point?

In my opinion, the only reason one person would use the phrase, is to state that what they are talking about is their own fear, and not the fear of what they think they represent. I think the phrase is a subtle way of saying "stop talking about this, you scare me.".
edit on 17-9-2011 by LeTan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan

In my opinion, the only reason one person would use the phrase, is to state that what they are talking about is their own fear, and not the fear of what they think they represent. I think the phrase is a subtle way of saying "stop talking about this, you scare me.".

Correct. It is them who are truly afraid.

In order to deal with cognitive dissonance they just insult the messenger.

It is also related to thought terminating cliche's .

Essentially they are faced with information that ruins their perfect view of the world, and they resort to insults to deal with this so they can move on in life and pretend it's all fake.

Well composed people who can control themselves typically argue the actual points directly by providing explanations or reasoning or documentation. There are some very smart members here who never use that language and always discuss the facts, and avoid this emotional ad hominem fallacy because they know better.
edit on 17-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by LeTan

Lets use your analogy, I ask you, what about the vegetarians? You may say that in this case, fear is tofu, but, then I could ask you, "what about the people who are not hungry?". The way i see it, fear cannot always be one item when referring to people, because there are many of us, with many different fears.

To define a fear monger, you must first define the fear, but then... who's fear would you be talking about at that point?

Fear is... in this sense of the word, a tool. It is applied to gain a certain result. You can use it, like a tool, for a number of different tasks... but the tool remains the same.

The meat analogy simply took the tool and turned it into another form of conceptualization... but the outcome is the same.

You can redefine it as most anything at all... as long as you don't lose sight of the end effect.

We are a nation... a society over many nations, that has seen the tool used upon us, or been fed the slab of meat. Mix and match as you please, the outcome is the same.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

I have used the phrase "fear monger" a few times in my life but I don't think ever on here. When I have used it it was in relation to people passing on doomsday prophecies and getting others worried about the future. I don't think "fear monger" is bad to say. I call it as I see it. I will continue to use it as I see fit

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

reply to post by LeTan

Fear is... in this sense of the word, a tool. It is applied to gain a certain result. You can use it, like a tool, for a number of different tasks... but the tool remains the same.

The meat analogy simply took the tool and turned it into another form of conceptualization... but the outcome is the same.

You can redefine it as most anything at all... as long as you don't lose sight of the end effect.

We are a nation... a society over many nations, that has seen the tool used upon us, or been fed the slab of meat. Mix and match as you please, the outcome is the same.

I don't argue that is a tool. However, can a carpenter use his carpentry skills to make a feast? I don't think so, he can use it to make a table, but never a feast. The person who uses the tool defines the art, the tool nor the art define the person.

Yes, a "fear monger" may be presenting an issue that may bring fear to a few, but I do not think that it is always the intention. If I make a post about an impending earthquake, It is not in hopes to bring fear to you, but to bring a message. Perhaps a fear monger is only a fear monger in the eyes of the ones who see his message as fear, but is it fair to call him/her that without knowing if it is their intention? Or for that matter, if not everyone sees the message as fearful?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LunaKat
reply to post by LeTan

I have used the phrase "fear monger" a few times in my life but I don't think ever on here. When I have used it it was in relation to people passing on doomsday prophecies and getting others worried about the future. I don't think "fear monger" is bad to say. I call it as I see it. I will continue to use it as I see fit

I never said it was a bad thing to say. I just think that it shows the fear of the person using the phrase, and not the fear of the people the message is for.

You claim that you use the phrase because of "people passing doomsday prophecies and getting others worried". However, worry does not always mean fear. Even so, doomsday prophecies are not always standard with their name. One may see a doomsday as a rebirth, therefore, they may worry about certain aspects of the process, but they do not fear it. Therefore, to that person, there is no fear mongering.
To call someone a fear monger, you must speak for everyone, but the fact is, you cannot speak for every individual on the matter since they have their own voice.

On another note, you are free to say and call people what you please, I have no qualms with that.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

I don't argue that is a tool. However, can a carpenter use his carpentry skills to make a feast? I don't think so, he can use it to make a table, but never a feast. The person who uses the tool defines the art, the tool nor the art define the person. Yes, a "fear monger" may be presenting an issue that may bring fear to a few, but I do not think that it is always the intention. If I make a post about an impending earthquake, It is not in hopes to bring fear to you, but to bring a message. Perhaps a fear monger is only a fear monger in the eyes of the ones who see his message as fear, but is it fair to call him/her that without knowing if it is their intention? Or for that matter, if not everyone sees the message as fearful?

To be sure, fear is also a semi-emotion. Call it a lubricant that generally fits in between other emotions. One can hate because of fear, love because of it, cry... rage...

No matter. It is still a tool and the whole thing pivots on its use. Fear is something built-in to the human condition to prolong life. It keeps us from doing stupid things... well, sometimes it does. For those fearless who walk the ridge, it doesn't really apply.

Anyway, you spoke of fear mongering and that is, by definition (mine, anyway) the application of fear as a tool or a forced feeding so there is a desired result.

Luckily, you overcame your fear to come here and speak openly about this subject. I know many who can't even go face-to-face with a bill collector or the teller in a bank.

Fear mongering is the use of fear for ______________ (insert reason).

Good thread and nice followups. I appreciate your civility and interest. S&F because those qualities are getting rare these days

edit on 17-9-2011 by redoubt because: typo1

edit on 17-9-2011 by redoubt because: Typo2 (my curse)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I recognize fear mongering as the action of warning on life and death by using very few facts or pieces of information that don't constitute a reason for fear.

For example, some dude writes an article on Elenin years back, then someone comes and adds onto it, then another and another and these personal ideas are accumulated to create an illogical fear of an object based completely and utterly on speculation.

So fear mongering = the publishing of fear based on speculation.

Its the downright use of words like: were going to die, something is coming, get ready etc that is called fear mongering.

Because it creates fear from nothing. And its wrong.

It can also be masked as pure suggestion. The human mind is susceptible to suggestions at times, and suggesting that we need to fear something because of the 'unknown' qualities of that thing is fear mongering and utterly unnecessary.
edit on 17-9-2011 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
LeTan,

II don't agree with you that the person using the phrase is the one with the fear. I can only speak for myself but when I use it usually it has to do with religion and religious prophecy. A lot of it is to drum up money..I'm not afraid of money but I don't like people who peddle end of the world fantasies to generate it through book sales, movies, etc. Nor do I like people that knock on your door and try to "sell" religion based on what they say happens if you reject their "message." And I don't speak for everyone when I say someone is a fear monger. I call the person doing the prophecy doom and gloom stuff the fear monger..generally that is just one person or maybe a specific church..but it is not the general public. So I can't agree with your line of thinking there.

**Sorry about the edit, I still don't have the way this forum works with the quoting and all down yet.

edit on 17-9-2011 by LunaKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I agree that fear can be used in many ways, and you are absolutely correct that fear has it's ties to our core of being. Your definition or fear mongering is also pretty agreeable.

However the key phrase I want to point out is "so there is a desired result.". What I want to ask is, how do you determine a person's desired result? More so, that of an ATS member?

Is it really fair to call someone on ATS(or anywhere) a fear monger when/if you cannot be sure their intentions for spreading a message?

I look at fear as a double edged sword. It protects us, yet in some cases, it prohibits us. A classic example is fearing the unknown. If one does not fear the unknown, then he has gained knowledge.

Maybe to some, fear is just another form of restricted curiosity.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LunaKat
LeTan,

II don't agree with you that the person using the phrase is the one with the fear. I can only speak for myself but when I use it usually it has to do with religion and religious prophecy. A lot of it is to drum up money..I'm not afraid of money but I don't like people who peddle end of the world fantasies to generate it through book sales, movies, etc. Nor do I like people that knock on your door and try to "sell" religion based on what they say happens if you reject their "message." And I don't speak for everyone when I say someone is a fear monger. I call the person doing the prophecy doom and gloom stuff the fear monger..generally that is just one person or maybe a specific church..but it is not the general public. So I can't agree with your line of thinking there.

**Sorry about the edit, I still don't have the way this forum works with the quoting and all down yet.

I see your point when addressing this situation. I guess when it comes down to money, fear could be a goal.
If I am correct, you speak for the people who are being swindled out of their money. This seems valid to me since these people are using it as a tool (just as Redoubt pointed out).

Let me ask you then, what about the people on ATS who are called fear mongers? What financial gain do people who call them fear mongers hope to get by posting information? I know you said before that you have never used the term on ATS, but allow me to pick your brain on the subject if you will

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

I don't really have an opinion about the people on ATS who are called fear mongers. It depends if its justified or not. What was it a couple months ago there was that online pastor of a church who said the world was gonna end..can't remember his name and he had predicted it once before and was wrong. It was his second try at getting the date right. There were a lot of threads here on ATS about it...well naturally the date came and went and we're all still here. But it was in the news that some woman tried to kill her daughter so her daughter wouldn't suffer through "the end." See...that pastor, he was a fear monger. Thats what I'm talking about. He got a number of people worked up for nothing and one young girl nearly died from that bit of fear mongering.

PS..I personally would be all for calling in religious prophecy as fortune telling and making it illegal. Fortune telling is illegal in some places...thats what these religious prophecies are also.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nusnus
I recognize fear mongering as the action of warning on life and death by using very few facts or pieces of information that don't constitute a reason for fear.

For example, some dude writes an article on Elenin years back, then someone comes and adds onto it, then another and another and these personal ideas are accumulated to create an illogical fear of an object based completely and utterly on speculation.

So fear mongering = the publishing of fear based on speculation.

Its the downright use of words like: were going to die, something is coming, get ready etc that is called fear mongering.

Because it creates fear from nothing. And its wrong.

It can also be masked as pure suggestion. The human mind is susceptible to suggestions at times, and suggesting that we need to fear something because of the 'unknown' qualities of that thing is fear mongering and utterly unnecessary.
edit on 17-9-2011 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

Do these prospects bring fear to you?
When someone says "we are going to die". Some of us are already aware that we are going to die sometime, and it's going to happen whether we fear it or not.

When someone says "something is coming" Some of us wonder what it is, since this forum as pretty much destroyed the fear of the unknown for most of it's members. We do not fear it, we are simply curious.

When someone says "get ready" Some of us wonder "for what?". Again, curiosity, not fear.

I ask, when you address someone as a fear monger, who do you speak for? If you speak for yourself, would that not imply your own fear?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The word "monger" implies" that the fear monger is promoting a fear that is undesirable or discreditable. Another word for fear is "terror" so a fear monger is some person or group promoting undesirable terror, which might be conveyed through threats, propaganda, scare warnings, or actual acts of violence.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join