It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should openly gay men shower with straight men in the army?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Firstly

I am not homophobic! ok?

Lets just clear that one up before someone tries it on.

I'm not going to write a long drawn out thread as I normally would try to do, because it simply doesn't need it here this time.

I have a serious question to pose to you and would love to hear the opinions and minds of all ATS members.

My question is:

Within the army, should openly gay men be allowed to openly shower with the rest of the straight men?

If your answer is yes, then what is the point of gender segregated showers at all?

Shouldn't it be like the movie "Starship troopers" where both genders shower harmoniously together?

Segregation is in place to protect a person or persons from such things as immorality, threatened privacy, sexuality and sexual perversion etc, yet all of these things are at risk of being corrupted through individual human behavior, whether acting consciously or subconsciously.

And lets be honest here, within every large group of people, there are always going to be a bad apple or three.

My personal non-homophobic opinion is that if you can be openly vocal about your sexual preference, then you can be openly humble and understanding about showering in a third segregated shower block, where its possible within the army's infrastructure.

Opinions?
Thoughts?
Constructive criticisms?
Donations?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Homosexuals should not be serving in the military imo. Since they are, they should definitely have separate facilities from straights. If the opinion is "what difference does it make", then tell me why straight men cannot just go ahead and use the same showers as the straight women? Obviously, it does make a difference.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

IMO, they should shower together.
I don't think homosexuals in the army are there to look for a man.
Yeah they might take a peek, but just a peek if they want to want to live.

On the other hand, it isn't OK for women to be naked in the shower with men.
Men can not control them selves around naked women.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Straight men may have the same concern about homosexual men. Personally, if I even caught them peeking I would beat them within an inch of their life.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Homosexuals should not be serving in the military imo.

What does this have to do with anything?
Did he ask this question?

I am inclined to ask why though.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

I would say if female and male soldiers would shower together then it would be ok. Its kind of the same with gay and straight soldiers.. Or maybe the gay soldiers could shower with female soldiers

I personally could shower with gay soldiers without feeling uncomfortable and Im as straight as it gets

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Homosexuals should not be serving in the military imo.

What does this have to do with anything?
Did he ask this question?

I am inclined to ask why though.
Have you served in the military? Have you been forced to live in field conditions? Obviously not, or you would not have to ask.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yes

And no, segregation should not occur...its time we stop thinking whenever someone see's something they like, they will suddenly melt down and start rapeing.

If a soldier cannot hold themselves together by seeing some boobs or whatever they are into, how can they possibly be trusted to deal with battlefield realitys? Sort of a moronic stance...get over it, gain control of yourself. I would find it pretty insulting to have some old fart tell me I am capable of murdering and pulling off high strategy maneuvers, however they don't trust me to remain sane if I see some nude person showering...

And should some idiot in the shower try to get too frisky with someone else, well, chances are that person will get a beat down and/or tossed from the military anyhow..and thats fine, you don't want those types representing your nation on a battlefield anyhow..what happens when they are in a civ's house in a warzone and they suddenly like the inhabitants? ya...actually, the more I think about it, the more I am for it..another test of mental stability...if they do go nuts over it, they don't have the discipline necessary to represent our finest.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
They should be considered a 3rd gender and given seperate quarters. When a woman comes onto a male floor in barracks she must announce "Female on deck", I see no reason it shouldn't be the same deal for homosexuals. Interestingly, what will this do to things like haircut rules?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

There has been plenty of homosexuals who have lasted in the military.
So you have no argument.
In fact, I have served in the military.
And I've seen huge straight guys cry like babies.
So once again, you have no argument.

edit on 17-9-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
yes they should be "allowed to", although i think your choice of words is questionable.

what about lesbians? do you think they should have a male/female/gay shower section?

you come across as seriously homophobic, and frankly as such i doubt any guy would fancy you anyway, so you're ENTIRELY safe.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

There has been plenty of homosexuals who have lasted in the military.
So you have no argument.
In fact, I have served in the military.
And I've seen huge straight guys cry like babies.
So once again, you have no argument.

edit on 17-9-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)
I could tell you some stories about what has happened to some openly gay sailors. "Accidents" happen all the time.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeekendWarrior
Or maybe the gay soldiers could shower with female soldiers

Step 1. join military
Step 2. Say I am gay
Step 3. Enjoy nightly showers with the femme's. (giggity).

All should shower together, get over the minor taboo of seeing flesh. If your old enough to murder someone, your old enough to keep your hormones in check.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

You still haven't stated why you think homosexuals shouldn't serve.
Yes, they might be bullied, but that's why they shouldn't be openly gay while serving.
Doesn't mean they shouldn't serve.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You must not see many naked women.
I could see all of the women in this world naked, except for one.
I would search the ends of this earth to find the last one before I died.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
When there was still a Sparta at a young age young boys were taken away from their mothers and sisters. They were classed together amongst their male peers. They were taught the ways of the spartan warrior so that they could protect their way. The had to step up to meet challenges and become indoctirned. The last challenge they faced was to go out in the wilderness with an older male and survive. AKA they participated in homosexual activities. So this issue is old as dirt and was supported in the top armies of history.

www.psychohistory.com...

The real question is why is this such a big issue now? IMHO its just another distraction, another set of "moral values" set by an immoral system. They want you to worry about who is having sex with who, instead of the underlying issue of the economy, the illegal wars, and the new forms of control they are establishing without our concent.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Straight men may have the same concern about homosexual men. Personally, if I even caught them peeking I would beat them within an inch of their life.

And you don't think that would be a bit of an overreaction?

You think a man has looked at your naked body and you will pummel him to a pulp, possibly even to the point of death? I think you are full of it.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Straight men may have the same concern about homosexual men. Personally, if I even caught them peeking I would beat them within an inch of their life.7

Really... someone looking at you would warrant aggravated assaults?

If you look at homophobic people throughout their life, there is a common theme that happens to many*, which is rather funny. Be careful.
edit on 17-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by WeekendWarrior
Or maybe the gay soldiers could shower with female soldiers

Step 1. join military
Step 2. Say I am gay
Step 3. Enjoy nightly showers with the femme's. (giggity).

All should shower together, get over the minor taboo of seeing flesh. If your old enough to murder someone, your old enough to keep your hormones in check.
You have got to be kidding? I joined the navy when I was 17. "Getting some" was one of the primary concerns of my life then. Even in EOD training, I still thought about women. Same with boot camp, jump school, dive training, etc... Personally, I am glad I did not face that temptation. Probably the only time I didn't get distracted by thoughts of women was when I was dealing with live explosives. Had there been naked females lathering up while I was doing that, I probably would be a smear on the wall somewhere.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Closet gay are we???
Bit of an over reaction....id love to see you try and beat a gay marine....haha he would lay you out then bum rape you

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join