It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agnostics, Atheists, Heathens - Choose A Side.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by Akragon

reply to post by Akragon

Would you willingly cleave to your fellows who share this belief to shove away those who would force you to? Would you die to protect it?

I leave people to their beliefs, if you do not agree with what i believe... so be it... i love you just the same. Its not my place to judge others. I would die to protect anyone from harm, but theres other ways around such things...

Love solves all problems, you can not attack someone who loves you, but if it does happen.. so be it. If i am to die protecting another person from harm.... then that is my fate. But again i would do everything in my power to solve the conflict before it came to that

Are you willing to set aside your own beliefs to achieve this state of love?

If my believe is Love for all, why would i need to set that belief aside.... I already have achieved this state of love...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

So if the culture around you all became like North Korea tomorrow and that was a requirement of your country you'd be happy to comply because the form doesn't matter to you?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by Aeons

Absolutely not. The successful divide and conquer tactics used in this country tells me I'm on my own for the most part.

How about the rest of the World. Do you see anywhere that you think that if you were there, your sociopolitical fellows would cleave together to protect and defend each other?

En masse? Unlikely Aeons. The same tactics have been used the world over. It's unfortunate that, as a species, we can't come together in a common cause peacefully. It takes war or catastrophe to create a group large enough to make a substantial difference toward a common good it seems.

Division and fear are the tools of conquerors.
edit on 9/17/2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

So if the culture around you all became like North Korea tomorrow and that was a requirement of your country you'd be happy to comply because the form doesn't matter to you?

I don't know what every man/woman/child... believes in North Korea. I don't really keep up with what is going on in the world... Yes i know the world is a mess, and im sure many are forced into their beliefs.

I'll try to explain what i think you're trying to say in my own words...

IF everyone in my country was forced into a belief system where they must hate all others that chose to disagree with them, and even kill those who do not share their belief...

I would likely be killed for my beliefs.... and i would accept my fate.

I do not fear death, though i do hope that when it is my time i will pass as painlessly as possible.

I know what i know.... and i know love is the path

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I suspect that this is what is behind these quiet semi-conversions.

I think that people who aren't religious, and prefer a society where "we all get on" know that their compatriots will push them down in front of the Zombie Invasion.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, maybe my reading comprehension skills aren't what they used to be, maybe it's the fluoride in the water... but what does my lack of belief in a deity have to do with my politics?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I would never take a side and would reject any religion offered to me.
If they put a gun to my head and said I could live if I just join a church, I would say, Pull the trigger.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero
reply to post by Aeons

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, maybe my reading comprehension skills aren't what they used to be, maybe it's the fluoride in the water... but what does my lack of belief in a deity have to do with my politics?

It doesn't have to have something to do with your politics.

But you'd be a naive fool if you did't know that it usually does, and pretty much always has.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
If they put a gun to my head and said I could live if I just join a church, I would say, Pull the trigger.

What if no one was doing that. But the people around you it was happening too. Join my religion, join my cult, join my political cause...or else. Would you step up, even if you didn't have the same views as the people around you? What if they wouldn't stand up for you? Would you do it anyways?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

My political views haven't changed significantly during my life. My religious views have. My change in religious views have had nothing to do with my political views, personal events catalyzed those changes.

Sorry if I didn't phrase the question in my initial reply to you very well. Are you saying that the people you're referring to in your OP are choosing religions that they don't necessarily believe in but are palatable to them because they feel that the sociopolitical climate is moving toward the socially conservative end of the spectrum and want to "go along to get along", so to speak?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by eleven44
I choose the path of PEACE AND LOVE.

I believe in God, but I am not a Christian/Muslim/Jew/etc. etc.
God is not a Christian/Muslim/Jew/etc. etc.

God is an energy, a vibration, a frequency, a mathematical equation of sorts, that fills every crevice, every atom, every cell of this Universe.

He is not a white guy with a white beard choosing who to damn and who to save.

He is Love. He is Unity. He is Empathy. He is Compassion. He is Nature.

Is there a word or a grouping to put someone who believes in all of that?

Perhaps... a 'Human-Being-Kind'?
edit on 17-9-2011 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

I couldn't have said it any better myself, the idea of categorizing people and facing them off against each other is what got us here in the first place

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Perhaps, but on a more global level.

I think all of them but two have tended towards the center or left. The two were right wing. Economic mostly.

The most of them aren't happy about the right wing tendencies, but the thing prompting this concern seems to be more their concern about their own parties, the people they are mostly aligned with being unwilling or unable to assess threats and deal with them.

They aren't so afraid of the religio-conservatives as they are of the peace-at-all-costs views of those whom they generally align with.

In other words - when the Zombies come they expect that their centrist and left-wing people will throw them under a bus, and the people whom are religious will hang together and protect each other.
edit on 2011/9/17 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by timt6788

People make words to describe things, and then use them to communicate ideas.

This isn't going to go away because it is the very thing that makes you different than a squirrel.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

the idea.

I'm not asking them this question. I'm not even sort of asking them this question. In the course of a conversation about politics or some event happening, the person says something to the effect of, "If I have to choose sides I'm...."

Well a lot of political discussions degrade into theology. Organized religion have agendas, lobbiers, and prosylitizers to sent forward their goals. For example, the religious leaders asks all people of faith to agree with them and make abortion illegal, ask for public schools be forced to teach creationism is as viable scientifically as evolution, and that the ten commandments should be displayed in courthouses.

I am opposed to any kind of legislation based on religion, so I am on the side of the "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster."

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

What if no one was doing that. But the people around you it was happening too. Join my religion, join my cult, join my political cause...or else. Would you step up, even if you didn't have the same views as the people around you? What if they wouldn't stand up for you? Would you do it anyways?
I think there is a systematic and planned and scientifically researched fear mongering going on at an intense level to play on a human instinctual level of consciousness to create an Armageddon type apocalyptic belief, by people who are completely unscrupulous and evil. I hope that my spiritual understanding puts me above an animal level to where I am resistant to such manipulation, otherwise my spirituality is worthless.
edit on 17-9-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Okay.

But if the apocalyptic religious types come for you, do you think that the non-religious are going to hang together?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

That's the problem, divide and conquer, so to speek, until it's polarized to just us against them. Problem is, atheists and agnostics don't have an agenda, group meetings, newsletters etc. They are alone.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
being an atheist is already taking a stand, making a choice. Making the decision to call oneself an atheist, is a decision to never take sides because ALL of those "sides" are all false and misleading.

i choose none.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
the truth of the matter is similar to a saying "there are no atheists is a foxhole" its a false ism more accurately in a zombie apocalypse there are no religions in a zombie nation, only survival.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by Aeons

That's the problem, divide and conquer, so to speek, until it's polarized to just us against them. Problem is, atheists and agnostics don't have an agenda, group meetings, newsletters etc. They are alone.

And when you are faced with a coordinated hoard, you lose. You do not continue on, and you are not what will define humanity tomorrow.

People with a strong genetic instinct to continue on don't embrace self-destruction as the best way.

These two states - being one of the "free" and being capable of SURVIVAL must be reconcilable.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join